Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I-dont-believe-you.gif
This is why your picture was broken.

In any case, Laverde and Battle have very little in common other than potentially playing in the same third of the ground.
This. They're completely different types of players, and anyone attempting to state or insinuate that they are the same has little understanding of both players and structure.

In any case, Laverde and Battle have very little in common other than potentially playing in the same third of the ground.

And potentially competing for the same spot in the team.

That is EXACTLY 'not a midfielder', particularly in the context of the comment I responded to.

Laverde is not a midfielder. It is utterly irrelevant what he was viewed as when he was drafted. What he is, is a forward, or half-forward - whatever 'term' floats your boat.

He is a forward. He is being developed as a forward, the intention is to play him as a forward - end of story.

You'd be great fun at a party.

And potentially competing for the same spot in the team.
Same "spot" in the sense both would play forward but are on the fringe of the 22, but very different roles within that area. Different enough that the decision could come down to attributes as much as form, much like picking a taller or smaller defender depending on match-ups.

That said, while calling Battle a poorer "version" of Laverde isn't particular useful, that doesn't necessarily mean Battle is a good pick. Because he doesn't have Laverde's tools, but doesn't necessarily have the size to compete as a key forward, he may well be limited as a player regardless.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laverdes best role for the team right now is forward but he like just about 95% of players start somewhere else position wise to the position they will end up playing.

Not many kids walk in and play midfield from the get go.

If you ask anyone at Essendon the plan will be to progress him to be a midfielder. The reason he hasnt been able to is due to injury and not being able to build a tank through PS. Unfortunately hes hindered again this preseason.

FWIW i think hes playing the Tory Dickson role for us right now and thats where hes most effective. Whether he reaches a full time mid is to be seen but that would be the plan.

Just watched the "Inside Our Comeback Story - Draft Strategy Meeting", I may be reading too much into it, but there seems to be strong allusions that McCluggage will be our Pick 1.

Some quotes that seem to be linked to the player we'll take at Pick 1:
"We're fascinated by his ball movement...and his early and quick decision making" - Worsfold
"He quite possibly in five years time...could be the best player in this draft pool" - Dodoro
"And what he has got is what's between his ears...that you don't measure...it is elite" - Dodoro

Some general quotes from the video:
"If we think there's an absolute gun...we'll take the gun"
"It's an unusual draft in that, there is a fair amount of depth"
"The selections that we take into this draft, the ones that we take later on are going to be governed by what we take early"
"We don't want to walk out with the same type of player, all the way through the draft"
"Early in drafts its your blue-chip stock. Your middle picks are your upside players. And your late picks, data tells you that the best picks are the physically ready-made players"

Just watched the "Inside Our Comeback Story - Draft Strategy Meeting", I may be reading too much into it, but there seems to be strong allusions that McCluggage will be our Pick 1.

Some quotes that seem to be linked to the player we'll take at Pick 1:
"We're fascinated by his ball movement...and his early and quick decision making" - Worsfold
"He quite possibly in five years time...could be the best player in this draft pool" - Dodoro
"And what he has got is what's between his ears...that you don't measure...it is elite" - Dodoro

Some general quotes from the video:
"If we think there's an absolute gun...we'll take the gun"
"It's an unusual draft in that, there is a fair amount of depth"
"The selections that we take into this draft, the ones that we take later on are going to be governed by what we take early"
"We don't want to walk out with the same type of player, all the way through the draft"
"Early in drafts its your blue-chip stock. Your middle picks are your upside players. And your late picks, data tells you that the best picks are the physically ready-made players"

I read it and do not come to any conclusions.

I know it says kick off is at 6pm, but has a time been stated for the picks to begin? Or does anybody remember how much faffing around there was before the real stuff got going?

Struggling to find radio station to listen. Help!!! When will first name likely be read out? Best advice for someone who hasn't got fox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back