Trade Hypotheticals 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

I had an idea today. The QLD Government are offering up to $500,000 for information leading to the arrest of a bikie gang.

Now as I've been told a number of times, Jake King sometimes hangs around these guys.

So my suggestion is to recruit him by trade means .... don't pay him too much ... get him to snitch ... and use the $500,000 on something.

:thumbsu: gold

I get the feeling we're going to focus on moving our top end picks up the drafting order rather than going hard for player swaps or more draft picks.
I'm assuming that Clarke is an automatic upgrade, and Hayes/Bourke would have to be a slight chance. Add in Conway and Tickner through the academy system and that 3 to five players already.
Would be an excellent result if we could stop watching the draft after the first round.

What is the difference between 5 x18 and 5x 20 year old's who have played a handful of games? granted they have been in the system for two years but like Maye's last year there is nothing to suggest some of these players cant come into the team round 1.
Having five picks allows us to draft for needs, i am not saying all five will be stars but it may allow us to take a chance on a KPP earlier than we thought.

I am no draft expert actually, i have no idea but i don't think it is all doom and gloom, i just don't see the point of bringing blokes in of the same age because we lost five of the same age if they don't make our team stronger.
Firstly, I don't get the bolded bit. We can draft or trade for needs either way. Perhaps more so through trading because we have a better knowledge of what type of player someone is likely to be after a few years in the system. There is also a poole of many players in the AFL, whereas the top 30 in the draft is all we have to pick from there. We might not get all the 'needs' Kerr requires. For instance, the rucks are terrible in this draft. We'll probably have to trade for one if we want to replace Longer. Ruckmen take heaps of time too.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom either. Far from it. Miles away from the years of pain and recovery that others are forecasting. Rob Kerr thinks we'll be contending for a premiership in 2016. He said words to the effect in a short interview with Plough that's on the club's webstie.
For that to happen we'll want to be recruiting players who will be in their prime by 2016. That works better than drafting players who will turn 21 in 2016.

I agree some players can have an instant impact like Mayes. Not all of them will. Get a couple who we think will be very solid with just 3 years in the system, then trade for others who'll be soon entering the prime of their careers.

Also, our club loves getting high picks in the draft and getting out of the draft by pick 30 or so. We won't be able to do that if we give up Karnezis for pick 50ish. We could if we trade him for a Collingwood reserves player we like.

My point is that I think trading players in should be an important part of our recruiting this off-season.

I get the feeling we're going to focus on moving our top end picks up the drafting order rather than going hard for player swaps or more draft picks.
I'm assuming that Clarke is an automatic upgrade, and Hayes/Bourke would have to be a slight chance. Add in Conway and Tickner through the academy system and that 3 to five players already.
Would be an excellent result if we could stop watching the draft after the first round.
I totally agree. Our club has gotten out of the draft really early since Kerr's been in charge. Pick 32 was our last pick last year, pick 47 before that and pick 32 in 2010. Also, the draft gurus say it gets pretty thin this year after the pick 30 range. If we have say nine spots available then give five or six to zone selections, players traded in and rookie upgrades, we could easily be out by the first round :)

Thorp is no ruckman, not big enough. He's a leading forward. Ben Brown is worth looking at for a backup ruck/forward though

U misunderstood, i was asking a question about where our backup would come from if Longer goes, my interest in Thorpe was for our forward line needs.

Koby Stevens played something like 11 games across 3 seasons for WC, so I'm not surprised he was traded for pick 44. Comparatively Yeo has played 27 games over 2 seasons and has shown a fair bit in those games and has established himself this season as a first 22 player. Stevens hadn't done that when he left WC.

If Stevens left for less than perceived worth yet was traded for pick 44, then Yeo for pick 40 is much worse.
cripps had played 16 in 2 seasons and went in the 40s

Who knows the trade may even involve a player which may work for both clubs

Possible, although decent trades between clubs on opposite sides of the continent are rare unless it involves a player going home. Have any Queenslanders?

Possible, although decent trades between clubs on opposite sides of the continent are rare unless it involves a player going home. Have any Queenslanders?

Do Queenslanders like really shit haircuts?

Got plenty of those.

Looking through our list I'm not sure who would be of attraction

It is the type of scenario where anyone we would give up, you wouldn't want.

Perhaps someone like McGovern to play key post, but he has just been elevated (And I want to keep him)

Assuming it is picks

I will be something like 24 for Yeo and 42

Or

Yeo for 41 plus our Compo pick

Crips shows flashes and the goes missing for a fair bit. He's above WAFL level and he will make a good AFL player but I don't think he has shown as much or has been as consistent as Yeo.

I don't think cripps will make a good AFL player

Too small through those to play midfield, not creative enough to play small forward

He has fitness and speed which sets him apart at WAFL level

Assuming it is picks

I will be something like 24 for Yeo and 42

While I think we are being shortchanged there, I am pragmatic enough to realise that we aren't exactly in a position to get Yeo's real worth, and would probably accept that deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I think we are being shortchanged there, I am pragmatic enough to realise that we aren't exactly in a position to get Yeo's real worth, and would probably accept that deal.

I havent seen enough of him to make a fair assessment of worth

I am simply basing it off past trade history, lack of general hype/rising star noms and his stated desire to return to WA

That generally results in the current club being done over.

Having said that, our club (unfortunately) doesn't do that, nor do we seem to force blokes through the PSD

listening to Derek Hine today, I don't think there is much depth past pick 30, so I dare say there will be a bunfight over pick 24

Having said that, with the supposed number of players leaving BL, your draft pick position may be a bit of an unknown.

You guys may end up with pick 30odd for Polec, in which case the deal might be something like

Yeo and 30 for 24 and 41

Lots of options ahead

Yeah, considering the amount of players we are likely to have up for trade this year, the number of possible permutations are endless.. so hard to forecast any exact trades at the moment.

Doubt anyone has come close to accurately guessing how it is going to unfold.

Yeo and 30 for 24 and 41

Would we be expected to drive him to the airport as well?

God this stuff is depressing.

Even the more sane opposition supporters are confident of getting one of our most exciting young players for pretty much nothing.

Also must consider this year we have the first lot of academy kids, it's possible we might take 3-4 of them, altho probably only one on the senior list, rest as rookies. But with that kind of influx, it's possible we might only draft 3 players in the ND. Later picks as sweeteners is likely to get pick 24 done as if we end up with 24 for Yeo and maybe 18 from hawks for longer, we won't use many other picks so trading those later picks won't be an issue to us. The only thing will be balancing out having 5 or 6 players leaving and filling those spots back up on the senior list. Perhaps picks 7, 18 and 24, plus maybe Conway, then Clarke and Hayes upgraded with another 3 academy kids into the rookie list.

That scenario does even account for any trades and getting anything for Polec, Doc, Karni or Polka if he goes. Kerr will be on the phone non stop for the month of October is all I know. With so much happening it's going to be very hard to figure out trades until they happen. We might also see some trades that at face value look like we've been screwed, when really we are just off loading picks we wouldn't use anyway to just get a trade done so Kerr can move onto the next trade.

You've had 5 retirements this year, so have you got a whole heap of senior list spots available? We might be able to trade some lower picks around 30 and Yeo for a first rounder.

Posters from other clubs are never realistic with value trades for our players because they don't follow or see how they go. Yeo has been a great addition and is best 22 for us. Was drafted at 30 and hype and homesickness or not, he has more than proven he is worth more than 30 back. Yeo for 24 is probably as good as well get from WC unless they get something else via other trades, you can have 41 as well if it makes you sleep better but I really think Yeo is worth a late first rounder.

You've had 5 retirements this year, so have you got a whole heap of senior list spots available? We might be able to trade some lower picks around 30 and Yeo for a first rounder.

We strangely elevated 3 rookies, so at this point if Kerr retires we have 3 spots, of which Yeo would be 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Hypotheticals 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back