Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder for Giles and pick 3

That's pretty tempting, he's athletic and probably has 5-6 good years ahead of him. We need a good tap ruckman as Mummy's knees are pretty chronic and have compromised his leaping ability (although he's still a gun).

Would definitely do that trade for Carlisle...in fact would throw in O'Rourke as well. If you could clone a player that GWS needs its Jake Carlisle!!

Sydney get royally bent over! 2 blokes that won't make their 22 for a guy in their 22...sounds fair? What a ridiculous trade. Meh on Giles, solid but I prefer other options. Would rather go after Callum Sinclair.
What would you give us for Sinclair, remember he's a required player so don't want Howlett or Jetta. I reckon it would have to be overs for him seeing as though he's contracted, you don't get a required player cheaply.

What would you give us for Sinclair, remember he's a required player so don't want Howlett or Jetta. I reckon it would have to be overs for him seeing as though he's contracted, you don't get a required player cheaply.
Sinclair would not net more than Howlett. Howlett's overs for him.

Howlett plus a swap maybe 19 for your 2nd

Why on earth wouldn't Sydney just take the pick 6 and run. What is the point from their perspective. Carlton are getting too much for not much output. Sydney don't need to be involved in your Jacksh trade one single bit.

Firstly, Sydney isn't involved in the Jaksch trade. They're three separate trades. I'll spell it out for you. Note the first trade is the only thing linking the others trades (still trying to be as unbiased as possible)

1. Blues and Suns trade.
Blues down grade their first round selection (#6) for the Suns ablett compensation pick and their second round pick.

Out: Pick#6
In: Pick#14, #27

2. Blues and Giants Trade.
Blues trade Ablett compensation and blues second to the Giants. In return for Jaksch, their end of first round selection and a possible swap of latter picks.

Out: Pick#14, #26
In: Jaksch, Pick#20, #24
Jaksch is essential the steak knives in this deal as the Giants move up the draft. The Blues see a minor upgrade in the second round with the blues and Giants swapping secound round picks.

3. Blues and Sydney Trade.
Blues trade the end of first round compensation pick, and the Suns third round selection.

Out: Pick#20, #4#
In: Mitchell
Considering the his injury history, the swans' salary cap pressures, and the fact that we would be footing his current contract, pick#6, would be too much (A pick in the mid to late first round would most likely be fair. The addition third rounder is a free hit for the swans- think good will).

Inaddition to that, the talent coming through their academy, means Sydney can afford to lose Mitchell without too much of an issue.

Hopefully that clears it up for you. By all means discuss the above, just don't scream bloody murder if it doesn't sit well with you. It's just a hypothetical.

Firstly, Sydney isn't involved in the Jaksch trade. They're three separate trades. I'll spell it out for you. Note the first trade is the only thing linking the others trades (still trying to be as unbiased as possible)

1. Blues and Suns trade.
Blues down grade their first round selection (#6) for the Suns ablett compensation pick and their second round pick.

Out: Pick#6
In: Pick#14, #27

2. Blues and Giants Trade.
Blues trade Ablett compensation and blues second to the Giants. In return for Jaksch, their end of first round selection and a possible swap of latter picks.

Out: Pick#14, #26
In: Jaksch, Pick#20, #24
Jaksch is essential the steak knives in this deal as the Giants move up the draft. The Blues see a minor upgrade in the second round with the blues and Giants swapping secound round picks.

3. Blues and Sydney Trade.
Blues trade the end of first round compensation pick, and the Suns third round selection.

Out: Pick#20, #4#
Considering the his injury history, the swans' salary cap pressures, and the fact that we would be footing his current contract, pick#6, would be too much (A pick in the mid to late first round would most likely be fair. The addition third rounder is a free hit for the swans- think good will).

Inaddition to that, the talent coming through their academy, means Sydney can afford to lose Mitchell without too much of an issue.

Hopefully that clears it up for you. By all means discuss the above, just don't scream bloody murder if it doesn't sit well with you. It's just a hypothetical.
The Swans aren't going to let Mitchell go for pick #20. He's easily worth a top 10 pick and contracted for a few more years. I think they'll take the risk on making him stay, pick #20 doesn't really do them much good.

Thought that might happen.

In which case I'd probably have to throw in a second rounder to balance it.

Out: pick#20,#27 (Suns)

The late first rounder and early second.

Thought that might happen.

In which case I'd probably have to throw in a second rounder to balance it.

Out: pick#20,#27 (Suns)

The late first rounder and early second.
I still doubt they'll go for it. It's not like he's out of contract - if Carlton don't want to give up pick #6 other teams will do much better than two picks in the 20s. Sydney aren't going to be strong-armed.

I still doubt they'll go for it. It's not like he's out of contract - if Carlton don't want to give up pick #6 other teams will do much better than two picks in the 20s. Sydney aren't going to be strong-armed.

The hypothetical above was an attempt to get both Jaksch and Mitchell and stay an armshot from the first round.

It's true, other clubs could trade their first round selection. But I can't see a team better place to trade for either (apologies - gone a little one eyed here)

The teams below Carlton will use their first rounders on needs (KPF, big bodied mids).

Teams following would be aiming for best available and sliders.

By trading in Jaksch and Mitchell Carlton would fill two glaring deficiencies on their list. Hence the original three trades.

The alternative would have been:

Blues and Sun:
Pick#6 for Pick#14&#27

And than on trade for:
Trade Pick#14 for Mitchell.
Trade Pick#27 for Jaksch

Still feel the two early picks in the 20s would appeal to Sydney considering their first round selection is tied to Heeney and their second round selection is in the high 30's.

You would think have two additional picks under 30 would appeal, just as much as having Mitchell's 500k off their books.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hypothetical above was an attempt to get both Jaksch and Mitchell and stay an armshot from the first round.

It's true, other clubs could trade their first round selection. But I can't see a team better place to trade for either (apologies - gone a little one eyed here)

The teams below Carlton will use their first rounders on needs (KPF, big bodied mids).

By trading in Jaksch and Mitchell Carlton would fill two glaring deficiencies on their list. Hence the original three trades.

Blues and Sun:
Pick#6 for Pick#14&#27

And than on trade for:
Trade Pick#27 for Jaksch

Still feel the two early picks in the 20s would appeal to Sydney considering their first round selection is tied to Heeney and their second round selection is in the high 30's.

You would think have two additional picks under 30 would appeal, just as much as having Mitchell's 500k off their books.

14 for Mitchell you'd think would be pretty close but 27 for Jaksch is probably taking the p!$$

14 for Mitchell you'd think would be pretty close but 27 for Jaksch is probably taking the p!$$

How about:
Jaksch&Pick#20+23 for Pick#14+#27+#4#,
Titch for #20+#23

Or simply

Mitchell for #14
Jaksch for #26+#4#
Considering Jaksch is uncontracted and is Victoria bound pick 26 or 27 should get the deal done - considering Polec (pick 5) went for 29, Docherty (pick12) went for 32....

In any case not everyone is going to be satisfied with these hypothetical trades....especially not Sydney supporters....Titch for peanuts...they'll be up in arms!

Last edited:
How about:
Titch for #20+#23

Or simply

Mitchell for #14
Jaksch for #26+#4#
Considering Jaksch is uncontracted and is Victoria bound pick 26 or 27 should get the deal done - considering Polec (pick 5) went for 29, Docherty (pick12) went for 32....

In any case not everyone is going to be satisfied with these hypothetical trades....especially not Sydney supporters....Titch for peanuts...they'll be up in arms!

Kudos for trying...

But even if GC came to the party
I just don't see it working in any combination.

How about:
Titch for #20+#23

Or simply

Mitchell for #14
Jaksch for #26+#4#

You could just trade your first and second round picks for Mitchell and Jaksch, which they are clearly worth. That would save the 6 clubs and 47 draft picks being swapped in a bid to benefit Carlton.

Blues and Sun:
Pick#6 for Pick#14&#27

And than on trade for:
Trade Pick#27 for Jaksch

Good attempt, but re: teams ahead of Carlton in the draft. Melbourne with or without receiving P3 will be on the lookout for inside mids, and Mitchell is the perfect candidate.

Roos also has a record of in parts bypassing the draft in favour of tried players, and is on record again as saying our picks are defiantly on the table.

Maybe Mitchell plus Mal for P2/3

Tim Membrey has put off talks with the Swans. Be interested what people think he is worth. Touted as Goodes' replacement, but if the bloke doesnt want to hang around im happy to see him go.

Seemimg as this is the hypothetical trade thread id love to do some sort of deal that involved Jamie Elliott. The kid would be a gun at the feet of Tippo and Bud.

Would Membrey and our second be enough for Elliott and pies forth?

Tim Membrey has put off talks with the Swans. Be interested what people think he is worth. Touted as Goodes' replacement, but if the bloke doesnt want to hang around im happy to see him go.

Seemimg as this is the hypothetical trade thread id love to do some sort of deal that involved Jamie Elliott. The kid would be a gun at the feet of Tippo and Bud.

Would Membrey and our second be enough for Elliott and pies forth?
No, it wouldn't. It would be nowhere near enough.

If Melbourne get pick 3 for Frawley they will definitely look to bring in an experienced player. Wouldn't surprise if he sounds out Mitchell. I would think sydney would have to put something else in to.
P3 for Mitchell and Towers/Reid/Mal I would think is what we'd push for. Depending who the steak knives are we may need to add our 2nd (or Clark compo/PP)

How about a Freo/Tigers trade:

Richmond get Crozier and Freo's 2nd rounder

Freo get Vickery and Tigers 3rd rounder

With this Richmond get the small, quick pressure forward they need.
Freo get the tall forward that can pinch hit in the ruck and scores goals.
Pick upgrade is because talls ALWAYS seem to be worth more to clubs (even if fans don't rate them).

The added bonus for Freo would be that they would have Vickery playing 2 Derbies every year and get to see the West Coast fans going off their nuts even more than usual. Looks like a win/win to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back