Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JAKLAUGHING what is your opinion.??
Worth more on his previous form and also current...he's a ready made, ready to go, plug straight in playa!
He's not a mid...too small...though he can relieve in there occasionally...he's not a forward...its not his natural purview... though he can relieve in there occasionally...he's a natural back...its where he shines! Just lacks a few inches in height!
Tough...has skill...is a one grab when the footy is in contest playa...good kick rarely fumbles...forms a great partnership with Flossy in our backline...can take a grab! Experienced and has played Finals...no history of being injury prone...has a turn of speed and also reads the play well!
Playas like Baker are the real deal and what Clubs build a side around...solid clubman...not a flashy go after the free kick type playa...just hard nosed and honest... a straight ahead playa, best as a defender! Lacks the size and weight to work inside the engine room of mid fielders! And as a forward can be left out of the play for quiet a while...totally wasted there I reckon!
The problem for most interested Clubs will be working out where to fit a playa his size in there list...who he works well with...cos he's a very good team playa!
If he goes as I suspect he might!
We'll want a very good return!
Baker is quality and not made up, make believe, and over rated flannel!
Almost a cherry on top Sundae playa...not quite there...maybe more like those tough nuts on top!

Edit...and he's around 26yo...peak physical condition with plenty more years of footy...barring injury...left!

Last edited:

Another strong performance from Trainor in the second of the Academy games although not quite at the BOG standard of game 1. He and his defensive cohort struggled at times with the size and marking power of the Footscray forwards, and his normally strong disposal was at times a little wayward.

If available this kid needs to be our first selection , there are no Harley Reid’s this year so we ll still get qty mids with other early selections . Qty talls are difference makers

If we miss out on a top 3 pick and are not able to take Smillie, O’Sullivan or Smith then taking Luke Trainor and adding him to Gibcus and Brown down back would mean we’ve locked in our backline key positions for the next 10 years.
He must be no 1 in my books unless those guys were rated Reid qty , we need an A grade tall into our ranks

Worth more on his previous form and also current...he's a ready made, ready to go, plug straight in playa!
He's not a mid...too small...though he can relieve in there occasionally...he's not a forward...its not his natural purview... though he can relieve in there occasionally...he's a natural back...its where he shines! Just lacks a few inches in height!
Tough...has skill...is a one grab when the footy is in contest playa...good kick rarely fumbles...forms a great partnership with Flossy in our backline...can take a grab! Experienced and has played Finals...no history of being injury prone...has a turn of speed and also reads the play well!
Playas like Baker are the real deal and what Clubs build a side around...solid clubman...not a flashy go after the free kick type playa...just hard nosed and honest!
The problem for most interested Clubs will be working out where to fit a playa his size in there list...who he works well with...cos he's a very good team playa!
Almost a cherry on top playa...not quite...maybe more like those tough nuts on top!
Bakes has the intangible value of being a pivotal player thru a very successful period playing in flags , still has plenty of footy left and being a qty bloke would be excellent with a young group at freo ,,still I’d be surprised if the cnts overpaid ,,at a min r1 so that’s say 12-16 ,,,,I’d love more but aren’t banking on it

Bakes has the intangible value of being a pivotal player thru a very successful period playing in flags , still has plenty of footy left and being a qty bloke would be excellent with a young group at freo ,,still I’d be surprised if the cnts overpaid ,,at a min r1 so that’s say 12-16 ,,,,I’d love more but aren’t banking on it
He's quality...he adds quality to a VG side! In a poor side he's not the playa one would be after or trade for!
Quality playas are what you build sides around...Grand Final sides!
Astute Judges...as myself...would know that...are alert to that when building quality lists!
IMHO...he's worth a pick inside top 10...prolly need to return a sweetner!
We just need to haggle hard and not get bluffed out of his value!
Up to the recruiters to do the necessary hard work of negotiation!

ATM, my hope for the draft is two top picks, and we get Josh Smillie and Jagga Smith.

Then either look to try trade into next season's draft, or see if there's a good KPF prospect in the latter half of the first round of the draft.
Rather O'Sullivan and Smith.
Plenty of toe ala Butters & Rozee.
Doubful that we'll get both unless by some miracle we get an unreal deal done via a trade.

Baker is a very good player, but he is a small utility who is not really an elite midfielder in any area and is uncontracted so you don't have the premium added when trying to pry out a contracted player.

If the roles were reversed and we were the ones with 3 R1 picks and were chasing a small utility what would you honestly offer as a trade? There is no way you'd give your first pick no matter how much dick you'd sucked and you'd be trying your best to only give up your 3rd R1 pick, which is what I expect Fremantle will be looking at doing. That being said that 3rd pick could be anywhere between 11-18 depending on how the season unfolds so we could still end up with a very good pick for Baker leaving, but I don't believe we'll end up with what some are hoping we'll get.
Once again RT it goes back to the Shultz trade.Forget about the contract situation.Bakes even as a fwd is better than Shultz.Being Mr fixit would add more value let alone leadership.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Prestia and Cerra are totally different players to Baker. As for Saad, Carlton overpaid when they traded for him which isn't surprising given the way they were throwing picks around back then. As I've said we'll get a R1 picks for Baker, but I don't believe it will be as good as many are hoping it will be.
Depends how Freo value leadership and i think thats one area they lack.I'd be targeting their 1st 1st

it looks as though we will have a busy trade period and very strong draft hand this year. the one player we really need to return and have a strong finish of the year is balta. showed a bit up forward in the Carlton and Sydney game. the club needs to know if he can hold down CHF. that will be a major building block of what we need to add to the list. get a 1st rounder mid and another key position forward and the list looks a lot stronger. this year get more games into the under 50 games players. I started the year relatively positive about our chances but injury to key players and declining form of others have dashed that. I'm now in the be competitive but get a top 3-4 pick camp now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we miss out on a top 3 pick and are not able to take Smillie, O’Sullivan or Smith then taking Luke Trainor and adding him to Gibcus and Brown down back would mean we’ve locked in our backline key positions for the next 10 years.
If that happened i'd be pissed.
I'd go Lalor over Trainor.

So still as confused as always. Just went back and watched a few of his best games highlights... Complete freak when he's on song.

Just doesn't make any sense to me how he can't get a game
Think its between the ears thats the problem.Not doing what asked by the coaches and when doing so overdoes it.If that makes sense.Doesn't come natural too him i guess.

I'm very much warming to Trainor with our first pick, as it's not likely to be pick 1.

Gibcus and Trainer as our 2 main KPDs means Young/Miller can fight it out to play on the second/third tall types.

It would leave Balta as a KPF/2nd ruck and then you can FA a gun 26/27 year old KPF to play for 5 years once Lynch retires.

Spine in 2026 and beyond then looks something like

FB: Gibcus
CHB: Trainor
C: Taranto
CHF: Balta
FF: FA*
More of an interceptor than a kp.I'd only do it if we have 2x top 10's.
But i fear Norf will beat us to the punch particually if they get a compensation pick for Zarheer if he leaves.

More of an interceptor than a kp.I'd only do it if we have 2x top 10's.
But i fear Norf will beat us to the punch particually if they get a compensation pick for Zarheer if he leaves.
Surely they don't get first round compo for Zurhaar?? AFL will probably make sure it happens though.

Surely they don't get first round compo for Zurhaar?? AFL will probably make sure it happens though.
Only thing thats more certain is us getting reamed by the umps on a weekly basis.

Disagree, we have over invested in the back half of the ground.

It's time to bolster the midfield with elite, top end talent.
Think we're ok in the back half.Front half Kp's is the issue.

Think we're ok in the back half.Front half Kp's is the issue.
Yes, but if they're not there, don't reach.. take best available at your pick (which in our case is going to be a top 3-4 pick.)

I'm 99% sure that will be a midfielder come November.

For context; Jack Whitlock is arguably the highest rated key forward prospect this year and he probably falls somewhere between 15-25 on true value.

Yes, but if they're not there, don't reach.. take best available at your pick (which in our case is going to be a top 3-4 pick.)

I'm 99% sure that will be a midfielder come November.

For context; Jack Whitlock is arguably the highest rated key forward prospect this year and he probably falls somewhere between 15-25 on true value.
Agree.If we play our cards right we shouldn't "reach".

I typically just post the F/S and academy kids to their club boards, but this was a BOG performance by Levi so some of you might be interested:

Levi won the possession count again for the Academy in game two and was named best on ground for his performance. Matched up against the mature Footscray mids he was tough and strong in both the stoppages and general contested situations around the ground showing that he's more than just an outside accumulator.

Baker is a very good player, but he is a small utility who is not really an elite midfielder in any area and is uncontracted so you don't have the premium added when trying to pry out a contracted player.

If the roles were reversed and we were the ones with 3 R1 picks and were chasing a small utility what would you honestly offer as a trade? There is no way you'd give your first pick no matter how much dick you'd sucked and you'd be trying your best to only give up your 3rd R1 pick, which is what I expect Fremantle will be looking at doing. That being said that 3rd pick could be anywhere between 11-18 depending on how the season unfolds so we could still end up with a very good pick for Baker leaving, but I don't believe we'll end up with what some are hoping we'll get.
Baker is capable if playing at a high level
In defence
In forward line
On ball.
His hard working leadership is a culture building example, absolutely elite here.

U give 4-5 x 850,000
4.25 million.
Then expect a high return .
Player is mid 20s dual premiership player.

Playas like Baker are the real deal and what Clubs build a side around...solid clubman...not a flashy go after the free kick type playa...just hard nosed and honest... a straight ahead playa, best as a defender! Lacks the size and weight to work inside the engine room of mid fielders! And as a forward can be left out of the play for quiet a while...totally wasted there I reckon!
Almost a cherry on top Sundae playa...not quite there...maybe more like those tough nuts on top!

Edit...and he's around 26yo...peak physical condition with plenty more years of footy...barring injury...left!
Thanks for your Insite JAKLAUGHING.. so by reading between your lines we should exspect early round 1 pick.
I bloody hope so, not that I want to loose him, but now would be the best time to loose him..

Back