Trade Stanton !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was pretty disappointing to be honest... When he wants to, he can be one of our best! But he was shocking against the Pies. I have never seen him turn the ball over so much before.

I was more pissed off over Leroy Jetta! His decision making in the first half was disgusting!

I am sick of people constantly having a go at Stanton. Why the hell is he the whipping boy of Essendon supporters. Sure, he made two or three mistakes on the weekend (the kick in one was bad) BUT most other essendon players do that as well. Ryder, Jobe and Heppell ALL made mistakes in the first quarter which cost us goals. Why does no one bring them up?
He gives us so much more then the couple of mistakes he has in a game. He was one of the ONLY players to stand up for us in the first quarter.
Leave him alone, Jesus.

Finally, a legitimate excuse to drop him to the seconds after yet another woeful performance. My many messages about him usually carry the same caveat, yes, I love his endeavour, blah, blah, but his worst is simply Sunday football league stuff. If a guy can't kick (read Brent Stanton, here) why the hell does he even get the ball to kick the thing out? I'm sorry, I've had enough of him, overall he is a liability given half of his touches are poor. Gotta be traded.

I think we should trade Jobe Watson.

His handballing was woeful on the weekend, and really, mistakes are the only thing we should be looking at when considering a player's performance. He's 26 or so, and isn't going to improve at all, given his age, so we should trade him for whatever draft pick we could get, and bring in a kid who won't do much for his first 3-4 years.

His handballing was woeful on the weekend, and really, mistakes are the only thing we should be looking at when considering a player's performance. He's 26 or so, and isn't going to improve at all, given his age, so we should trade him for whatever draft pick we could get, and bring in a kid who won't do much for his first 3-4 years.
We're not questioning Stanton's skill or work rate, we're questioning his inability to stick a tackle and his refusal to lay a block.

However, I strongly disagree with trading him. These are areas in his game that can be fixed over time.

We're not questioning Stanton's skill or work rate, we're questioning his inability to stick a tackle and his refusal to lay a block.

However, I strongly disagree with trading him. These are areas in his game that can be fixed over time.

Posters like you aren't, and that's a fair criticism of him.

It's the fairy brigade like the OP to whom my post was directed.

We did play Collingwood, the best pressuring side (real and percieved) in the comp by a long way. They have made alot of decent players look pretty bad over the last 12 months. I am choosing to take more positives out of the game than negatives.

Some of Stantons errors were howlers, but there was some great work amongst it as well. I can understand the criticism but wouldn't dwell on it. Alot of guys were poor yesterday, yet we still pushed them.

Let's hit back at Gold Coast. Hopefully we can get some confidence back into the likes of Ryder, Hurley, etc etc. I'll bet Stanton will be BOG next week.

I am not a major poster on this site but I have defended Stanton in almost every thread that has come up bagging him. The Stanton haters need to back the **** off.

We works harder than any player in our team, he is always first tagged, he makes it to more contests than anyone else, he is our link man more than any other player. His howlers are often the end result of many repeated efforts covering a huge amount of territory. Fatigued legs will do that.

Some other players could learn a thing or 2 here (Monfries, Winderlich, Ryder etc). Stanton is never out of the game due to his work rate, therefore his mistakes are amplified as he still gets the ball in these bad games. It is basically what separates his good and bad games.

Other guys have bad games but are not shouted down as they float around aimlessly without making mistakes as they don't touch the pill. Give me Stanton who plays with purpose every week, even if he does screw up at times.

And I guess opposition coaches have NFI as well.... I mean why would they tag such a supposedly shithouse footballer.... perhaps the haters should ponder that for a moment.

This is one of the things that annoys me about AFL. Why not trade Stanton... If there is a good enough deal on the table.

Stanton in my view was very poor in a big game over the first half on Monday. He showed a fair bit of courage to come back from a series of poor efforts that had the crowd I was with (non Essendon crowd) laughing at him.

His third quarter comeback was sensational. Clearly our best player in that quarter. That said he was coming from a fair way back from his first half effort. But that's Stantons big strength, wearing the game down with his tank.

So why wouldn't you trade him? Freo offer us David Mundy. Seal a high pick from GWS or Gold Coast....

If the right offer is on the table for EFC, you'd be mad not to entertain it. And that goes to other B grade players as well.

This is one of the things that annoys me about AFL. Why not trade Stanton... If there is a good enough deal on the table.

Stanton in my view was very poor in a big game over the first half on Monday. He showed a fair bit of courage to come back from a series of poor efforts that had the crowd I was with (non Essendon crowd) laughing at him.

His third quarter comeback was sensational. Clearly our best player in that quarter. That said he was coming from a fair way back from his first half effort. But that's Stantons big strength, wearing the game down with his tank.

So why wouldn't you trade him? Freo offer us David Mundy. Seal a high pick from GWS or Gold Coast....

If the right offer is on the table for EFC, you'd be mad not to entertain it. And that goes to other B grade players as well.

I can handle these sort of posts, there is reason too them and I find myself agreeing that if the right trade were on offer then you'd entertain it. It is the "Trade Stanton coz he's shit" type of posts that piss me off.

I agree.. along with Hille... both to GWS for draft picks..

Stanton is useless when there is a hard ball to be won.. just doesn't move right..

Hille on the otherhand.. everyone goes ga ga over the two contested marks he takes a game...

He costs us in so many contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.. along with Hille... both to GWS for draft picks..

Stanton is useless when there is a hard ball to be won.. just doesn't move right..

Hille on the otherhand.. everyone goes ga ga over the two contested marks he takes a game...

He costs us in so many contests.

Interesting call on Hille, Bellchambers is streaks ahead of him as a pure ruck. Tbh, he's never strung more than 6 good games together, he is a bit of an enigma at Essendon. Then again, he's a big body and for that reason is important.

Well of course you would consider a trade if the right option presented. History tells us this is rarely the case.

Also you don't trade away guys that are an integral part of the side and highly respected. The club must value him as he was given the No. 5.

Hark your mind back a few years ago and so many idiotic posters on this board were saying Prismall is a better player than Stanton and we have done well... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Stanton made less mistakes than our Captain and our new wonderkid in Heppel.

He lost a contest to Toovey in exactly the same fashion as Leigh Brown lost out to Heppel and Cloke lost out to one of our other guys. Sometimes when you are bent over and trying to get the ball it's quite easy to get pushed over and you lose your feet.

Interesting call on Hille, Bellchambers is streaks ahead of him as a pure ruck. Tbh, he's never strung more than 6 good games together, he is a bit of an enigma at Essendon. Then again, he's a big body and for that reason is important.

Hille is a fairly average tap ruckman. His around the ground ability as a ruckman, however, isn't surpassed by many if any.

Would never trade Stanton- such an important gut running link up player. Have a look at the games where he does not play last year and you will notice there are less options available.

Would rather trade Monfries.

With our ruck stocks I would be okay with trading Ryder to GWS if we got a top 5 pick in return. Whilst he is a gun, we have Hille, Bellchambers and Daniher coming in as well as Jenkins so his loss may not be as harshly felt.

Hille is a fairly average tap ruckman. His around the ground ability as a ruckman, however, isn't surpassed by many if any.

Yeah I think the whole 'around the ground' thing is overrated..

He takes 1 mark on the wing, he takes one at half forward and one closer to goal. That's his maximum output in any game...

Worst tap ruckman going

Worst ruckman at competing at ground level

He makes Ryder look like his playing with intent the way he moves when the ball is close by..

Doesn't even attempt to tackle...

Doesn't push hard to cover space..

Is half the player Mumford from the Swans is...

Should definitely trade him while he has any value left..

His just not that good..

He along with Stanton are both liabilities..

If we could get a 1st round pick for the two of them I'd be rapt!!

This ain't a overreaction either.. have thought this for a long time..

But we can trade Stanton for Murphy and add a sweetener.

Well of course you would consider a trade if the right option presented. History tells us this is rarely the case.

Also you don't trade away guys that are an integral part of the side and highly respected. The club must value him as he was given the No. 5.

Hark your mind back a few years ago and so many idiotic posters on this board were saying Prismall is a better player than Stanton and we have done well... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Stanton made less mistakes than our Captain and our new wonderkid in Heppel.

He lost a contest to Toovey in exactly the same fashion as Leigh Brown lost out to Heppel and Cloke lost out to one of our other guys. Sometimes when you are bent over and trying to get the ball it's quite easy to get pushed over and you lose your feet.

KS

You are deluded if you believe that Stanton played better than heppell or Watson.

You often talk about making the top 4 and sneaking a premiership - Will be lucky to achieve this if Stanton is the second or third best mid.

yes, he did not lay a block then.

Watch the whole play there. He was trying to stop the kick over to Leigh Brown first, he was then in the back pocket competing for the ball. He was then recieving a handball and then missed the block.

Good to see you're finally getting to the odd game, Kelvin. :thumbsu:

KS

You are deluded if you believe that Stanton played better than heppell or Watson.

No he is deluded for not being able to comprehend why a 5 game kid gets more slack than a 6-8 year veteran and club leader.

It may be but I'd prefer Marc Murphy around the ground if we're going to go down that path and he'd kick more goals (I'm aware Hille's average goals per game is higher than Murphy's in 2011).

Some fairies can't remember how much we struggle when Stanton misses a game.

He generates so much run and carry, he works his arse off.

Yes his errors always seem to be glaring, but some times you just have to take the bad with the good.

Some fairies can't remember how much we struggle when Stanton misses a game.

He generates so much run and carry, he works his arse off.

Yes his errors always seem to be glaring, but some times you just have to take the bad with the good.

That's what Richmond said with Matthew Richardson. A good player pumped up as a champion because his side was more often than not average to woeful. Now Essendon are getting some mojo about them, one must ask themselves whether a premiership team can have Stanton as their second or third best midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back