Trading injury prone players i.e. Hay, Davis etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2003
paradise
Other Teams
the best
do you have to bite the bullet and make a stand with some of these types of players? Even if a guy has talent if he can never get on the park he is taking room in the salary cap and contributing little on the field. The options are either to trade or to delist but it is doubtful whether some of these players would command value as their injury history is known.

Classic examples are probably Jonathan Hay, Matthew Primus, John Barker and Nick Davis all again having shocking seasons through injury and thus being unable to have any impact on the field this year. Leopards don't tend to change their spots so perhaps you shift the player while he still has some value.

Hawthorn supporters are hitting the airwaves whingeing about the fact that these guys could have been traded. Sydney fans may have felt they have been sold a pup.

There must be other players in this category as well.

Who the hell would Sydney trade Nick Davis to?
What would Hawthorn get for Hay? What he's worth on the market - SFA.

Precisely my point Mark T., you get in while they still have some value. Hay's medical record would tell against him now but there are some clubs without kpp's who would have loved him a few years back.

Originally posted by Ice goddess
Precisely my point Mark T., you get in while they still have some value. Hay's medical record would tell against him now but there are some clubs without kpp's who would have loved him a few years back.

And some that may take a punt hoping a return to fitness, even if it isn't to his form a few years ago.

Has Matthew Allan helped the Bombers this year despite his past injury history?

What is Primus's contract situation? He would be a doubtful proposition. Barker would be a candidate for delisting. And I guess you're right about Davis Mark T., once you go to another club and can't cut it it is doubtful if a third will take you up. Though history shows that many player have played for four different ones. So this year could be an interesting trade period.

Syd Allan has been a marginal help IMO but he cost bugger all. That was my point re Hay, what would Hawthorn get for him? Not much IMO. He hasn't even played much good footy over his career anyway.

If you wait too long there value goes down to nothing. Hawthorn need an injection of talent and trading Hay a few years ago would have netted a good pick or player. Barker may get delisted. Primus and Davis would be worth nothing you might suspect.

Davis is worth little as he has history and would be huge risk given his prior move for homesickness reasons. Add to that he ahs never overcome the injury problems he had in his last year or so at Collingwood. He definately has a lot of talent though. Unlike most Collingwood supporters I'd have him back but for a cheap price and on a performaance contract.

Primus won;t be traded by Port for more than just what he might do as a ruckman if he gets fit. I'd take a punt on him too if Port wanted to trade him but again you wouldn't want to pay a lot. I wouldn't go near Hay or Barker.

Many Swans supporters including me rate Nick Davis very highly.His injuries this year are not of a chronic nature but impact caused.He did his hip/groin when taking a mark and his recent ankle injury was caused by an accidental kick to it.
It is frustrating not having him in the team as he is a goal kicking matchwinner at best.
Our supporters are praying that he has an uninterrupted preseason and an injury free season so we see the best of Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe Hawks have re-signed Hay today. Wonder if he has undergone medical tests. Maybe he would not be tradeable to other clubs and at least he has some talent

Many Essendon supporters suggested the same thing about a ceartain J. Hird when he was suffering continual problems with his stress fractures and soft tissue injuries, you can't really predict the future of somebody's fitness

Originally posted by Joel
Davis, the sooky la la, won't go anywhere but Sydney. I think he would rather be delisted, than play elsewhere.

Lets say there were as many teams in Sydney as there are in Melbourne - i still doubt Rocca would be playing for one of them, due to the same reasons as Davis.

You could just see players like Whitnall or Hay being traded and then going on to play the best footy of their careers at their new clubs. The thing is how long can you pay certain players large amounts of money for not doing much?

Primus is a bit different, he's only got a couple of years left in him even if he does fully recover from his knee injury, and from the looks of earlier in the year he'll probably play the most of his footy out of the goal square from now on. I doubt he would be much value to anyone but Port, then again Carey was traded (out of necessity) for a ridiculous price...

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading injury prone players i.e. Hay, Davis etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back