Team Captain
Feb 19, 2007
meMelb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtic
Ablett_comeback246x316.jpg

Nathan Ablett has been spotted more and more around Skilled Stadium, raising hopes of a comeback

NATHAN Ablett is been back training at Skilled Stadium in an apparent sign the 22-year-old may want to resume his football career.
Despite Geelong VFL coach Leigh Tudor saying Ablett had frequented the cattery “every now and again”, he stressed that the younger brother of Brownlow medal favourite Gary Ablett was not actually training with the club.
Instead, he is working out in his own time.
“He was down there yesterday, you always see him around,” Tudor told afl.com.au on Thursday.
“He just comes in and does some stuff and off he goes.
“He was down yesterday with Gary, so yeah he just floats in and out.”
Tudor said everyone at Geelong was desperate for Ablett, who booted 34 goals in 21 matches in 2007, to return to the field.
Last week senior coach Mark “Bomber” Thompson said he had his “fingers crossed” the Cats could persuade the promising forward to pull the boots back on.
“Everyone has a chat to him,” Tudor said.
Asked if he speaks to the premiership forward about returning to the field, Tudor replied: “Everyone does.”
“He just says he’s just still thinking about it, [about] what he wants to do,” he said.
“That’s up to him. I think [assistant football manager] Steve Hocking and [Geelong player development manager] Ron Watt and Bomber are looking after that.”
Ablett effectively quit football in late November despite having played in the Cats' Grand Final win.
Geelong officials have said that should Ablett not return to the field this year, they would need to know his intentions by October 31 – when his contract expires and when the club would need to finalise its senior list for 2009.

Who here is happy to see this good news

Well it's all up to him, isn't it? He cited a lack of passion for the game - only he can find that again within himself. Nobody can give it to him.

You're 100% right, Wegs. Leave him alone, and let him come to his own decision - he has to do it by draft time, though. Dunno if the GFC can go another year with an unusable place on its list.

Would be a BIG in for Geelong next year.

Despite people suggesting otherwise early this year that guys like Hawkins would fill his void comfortably, it hasnt happened yet and Ablett has alot more strings to his bow than Lonergan. A whole lot more to be honest.

Benny Cousins! He was linked earlier in the year to Collingwood's VFL squad, and there's been some to-and-fro messaging between himself and Mick Malthouse.

Of course it's all hearsay, which is why it's the rumour mill.

Cousins is going to play in the WAFL with the Perth Demons. It'd be great if Nathan came back but, like most, I'm not going to hold my breath. He should do what's right for him and whatever he chooses that's what's best for the club anyway. If more players were honest with themselves (and not just playing for the pay cheque) there'd be a raft of retirements tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see him back, our half forward line hasn't been the same without him this year. But if he is not passionate about it I don't think he should be on the list taking the space of a potential superstar teenager.

Im indifferent as to whether he plays again or not.

But if he does it would make Junior happy. Whatever Junior likes, we like. :D

Who gives a stuff whats with the soft approach to him and letting him dictate things, it should be, Are you playing if not piss off and we can put a young bloke on the list that is hungry, if his name wasnt Ablett he would have been pushed aside long ago, I would be pissed off being on the rookie list knowing that this joke of a player is holding me back cos he not sure if he has the passion nick off idiot!!!!!!!!!

P.S he's not that good anyway

Benny Cousins! He was linked earlier in the year to Collingwood's VFL squad, and there's been some to-and-fro messaging between himself and Mick Malthouse.

Of course it's all hearsay, which is why it's the rumour mill.
I mean who is the problem child on our list at the moment

Who gives a stuff whats with the soft approach to him and letting him dictate things, it should be, Are you playing if not piss off and we can put a young bloke on the list that is hungry, if his name wasnt Ablett he would have been pushed aside long ago, I would be pissed off being on the rookie list knowing that this joke of a player is holding me back cos he not sure if he has the passion nick off idiot!!!!!!!!!

another clown who dont know the AFL rules in terms of player listings. We cant just pick a young bloke and replace him just like that, he will have to be de-listed first which someone already mentioned sometime end of this year.

If he doesnt want to come back then we replace him, whats the point put him to the gun and make him commit now...is not like he will get a game next week.

Decided after the cut off period last year (because of playing in GF, celebrations which put back holiday, etc) so it would not have made a difference. Next time make sure you know what you are talking about fool.

And worry about who is on your own clubs freakn list.

Angry much? :D

that picture in that article actually comes from earlier in the year used in another article. Really the whole story just reads like a slow news day to me. Nothing new. Nathan has been training on and off all year, and by training I mean using the gym basically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Ablett on the comeback trail?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back