Transgender

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be aware that the tolerance of anti-trans language on BF is at an all-time low. Jokes and insults that are trans-related, as well as anti-trans and bigoted rhetoric will be met with infractions, threadbans etc as required. It's a sensitive (and important) topic, so behave like well-mannered adults when discussing it, PARTICULARLY when disagreeing. This equally applies across the whole site.

Last edited:
Human organs, or human-compliant organs for the purposes of transplantation, are already being attempted in living pigs

It's not possible yet, but in the future it's entirely within the realms of scientific possibility that entire reproductive organs could be transplanted as well.
Why bother. Just put embryos in embryonic chambers and skip all this nonsense about men having babies.

Why bother. Just put embryos in embryonic chambers and skip all this nonsense about men having babies.

In a future where this procedure is science fact I would say it mattered to a transgender person who wants that chance to actually carry a child to term. If they're willing to go through surgeries to that extent at considerable risk to themselves, I don't think it would be right for me to say 'no' and stand in the way of their potential future happiness.

If they can lead fuller lives by rearranging themselves and making good on their dreams of parenthood to that extent I say let them. and good luck for the future.

Reproductive organs are a social construct. Get back to me when you can be the biological father and mother of a child.

Come on, the scope of this could be enormous. Serious question - how do you feel about the implications of transhumanism (using medical and biological science to enhance/expand multiple facets of the human condition) in general?

Mary Shelley's 1818 novel Frankenstein can be seen through the lens of fear stemming from science going beyond the 'original' human design, for instance. Are fears about transgenderism echoes of that same trepidation, that science should not be going beyond the original blueprint?

Come on, the scope of this could be enormous. Serious question - how do you feel about the implications of transhumanism (using medical and biological science to enhance/expand multiple facets of the human condition) in general?

Mary Shelley's 1818 novel Frankenstein can be seen through the lens of fear stemming from science going beyond the 'original' human design, for instance. Are fears about transgenderism echoes of that same trepidation, that science should not be going beyond the original blueprint?

Can't say I have looked into at all TBH. Looks like a deep rabbit hole one could go diving down.

Can't say I have looked into at all TBH. Looks like a deep rabbit hole one could go diving down.
Fair enough. It IS a deep rabbit hole. Some of the fears concerning transhumanism, especially the religionist 'original blueprint' one, I see resurfacing in the transgender debate though. That part of it is worth exploring. 'Man was created by God in God's image' the religionists say. 'When Mankind designs Itself it is leaving God out of the picture'.

I disagree.

Also a bit of a problematic one. A lot of the original transhumanists were also eugenicists.

Yeah, there's that. Eugenics, genetic promotion through the exclusion of others, is a very specific approach to a transhumanist future. It inherently involves rejection of the weak and the inferior and, while this may work for breeding stocks of animals, humanity cannot be reduced to that. We have evolved (sorry again, Creationists!) to be so much more.

Transhumanism, especially as I think of it with regards to transgender considerations, is the improvement of outcomes through body manipulation. It's one thing to dress and to live as the sex and gender you want to live as. Physically altering the human body as the ultimate realisation of this aim? To the end where functional biological parenthood becomes a possibility in the near future? I see this as something good.

We've only got eighty years (on average, give or take) of lifespan here on this planet. If some of us can achieve more happiness and more balance in life by altering ourselves through advancement in medical science, why not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens next/what happened previously ?
i don't see any link to Tavistock in that 4 year old article so you're going to have to explain yourself better

Apologies for not reading the thread and jumping in and covering stuff that may have been covered.

Here's the thing about Trans;

5 years ago: "So you want to identify as a woman? Sure. I guess either you're a man trapped in a womans body or have gender disphoria (similar to people who want to amputate their leg for no good reason). I don't understand the science behind it but I'm happy to accept you as a female and call you a female".

Everything is good. Everyone gets to be who they are and everyone is happy. Or so we thought.

Present day: "I'm a woman, therefore I can compete in men's sport. Sex is a social construct, I'm a women, you must recognise me as a women, and you must allow me to jump in that pool and beat those other females by ridiculous margins".

See the problem? Everything was good and society in general was happy to accommodate trans people.... until trans people pushed the envelope to a point that FORCED US TO BE TRUTHFUL.

And the truth, you're a man.

A question for people who think sex is a social construct and anyone can identify as whatever they want:

Some humans have penises and produce semen. Some have vaginas and ovaries. What do we call these two different types of humans?

Apologies for not reading the thread and jumping in and covering stuff that may have been covered.

5 years ago: "So you want to identify as a woman? Sure. I guess either you're a man trapped in a womans body or have gender disphoria (similar to people who want to amputate their leg for no good reason). I don't understand the science behind it but I'm happy to accept you as a female and call you a female".

Everything is good. Everyone gets to be who they are and everyone is happy. Or so we thought.

Present day: "I'm a woman, therefore I can compete in men's sport. Sex is a social construct, I'm a women, you must recognise me as a women, and you must allow me to jump in that pool and beat those other females by ridiculous margins".

See the problem? Everything was good and society in general was happy to accommodate trans people.... until trans people pushed the envelope to a point that FORCED US TO BE TRUTHFUL.

A question for people who think sex is a social construct and anyone can identify as whatever they want:

Some humans have penises and produce semen. Some have vaginas and ovaries. What do we call these two different types of humans?
The trans men will love to read this

It's not possible yet, but in the future it's entirely within the realms of scientific possibility that entire reproductive organs could be transplanted as well.

Strike that. It's getting more and more possible by the day;

It's not availablle for male-to-female transgender patients yet and the uteri need to be removed again after birth (rejection syndrome) but reproductive organ transplantation is moving forward.

When you get to the point where you are making up arguments for the opposing side and then arguing against your own arguments, you need to take a step back lol

It's easy to make an opposing argument sound ridiculous when you're the one writing it.

You're confusing sex and gender. Stopped listening at that point.

You're confusing sex and gender. Stopped listening at that point.

I feel like a significant proportion of the arguments aimed at trans people come from people with no understanding whatsoever that Sex and Gender are actually two different words, that mean different things, despite having been largely used interchangeably (incorrectly) for a long time.

I feel like a significant proportion of the arguments aimed at trans people come from people with no understanding whatsoever that Sex and Gender are actually two different words, that mean different things, despite having been largely used interchangeably (incorrectly) for a long time.
They understand the claim but reject it.

I've seen little to suggest they understand the actual difference between the words Gender and Sex.
“Gender is a different thing to sex even though they align in most cases.”
“No, they’re the same thing”

That’s basically the start and end of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back