Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

I am on the get Cloke bandwagon but I do agree 1 mill is probably to much but hopefully with collingwood signing everyone else up the amount they can offer Cloke is less so we can nab him for 800k a year.

His form has been down this year and no doubt the contract probably contributes to that a bit and the backlash from collingwood fans probably doesn't help either. But don't skip over the fact Dawes is also struggling and collingwood average about 10 less inside 50's a game. He is not getting the same opportunities and people are expecting the same output. His form while not as good needs to be put in perspective compared to Collingwoods overall performance which is down on the last few years. Dawes form points shows that it's not just Cloke suffering from a down year from Collingwoods mids

I am on the get Cloke bandwagon but I do agree 1 mill is probably to much but hopefully with collingwood signing everyone else up the amount they can offer Cloke is less so we can nab him for 800k a year.

His form has been down this year and no doubt the contract probably contributes to that a bit and the backlash from collingwood fans probably doesn't help either. But don't skip over the fact Dawes is also struggling and collingwood average about 10 less inside 50's a game. He is not getting the same opportunities and people are expecting the same output. His form while not as good needs to be put in perspective compared to Collingwoods overall performance which is down on the last few years. Dawes form points shows that it's not just Cloke suffering from a down year from Collingwoods mids
Collingwood have had a better year than us , Collingwoods Mids are better than ours( based on depth) and if he was to play in the same side as Jack the ball ain't going to be going to him any more , than he is getting now .
Supporters getting stuck into him more now than if he came to us and served up the same form , not going there .
But , if he is going to our club demanding a long , big contract and there will be expectations from supporters and if he doesn't match them expectations , supporters will be pissed .

Collingwood have had a better year than us , Collingwoods Mids are better than ours( based on depth) and if he was to play in the same side as Jack the ball ain't going to be going to him any more , than he is getting now .
Supporters getting stuck into him more now than if he came to us and served up the same form , not going there .
But , if he is going to our club demanding a long , big contract and there will be expectations from supporters and if he doesn't match them expectations , supporters will be pissed .

Our mids are getting the job done, we are third in the comp for inside 50's Collingwood is ninth. Clearly there is something more wrong with our forward line than collingwoods.

I simply cannot believe all the Cloke knockers expressing their b*llsh!t opinions. The kid has been under enormous pressure in the past few months, and yes, most of that is self inflicted (thanks to the pressure from his greedy entourage), but at the end of the day he has definately shown more than enough for the RFC to make a serious bid for his services. After all, we only need to look at the 'lower profile' recycled players added to our list in the past couple of seasons such as Maric (languishing in the SANFL last season), Morris (ditto, and a virtual unknown before last season), Grigg and Houli, who have majorly reignited their careers and Punt Road who have been solid contributors since Hardwick's tenure at the club.
I still believe it will be Carltank that will sign him up, shortly after Malthouse puts pen down on paper. If this happens, I honestly hope it backfires for them in 2013 leaving Malthouse and his prize recruit pondering 'what could have been!' Geez, Round 1 next season could draw more interest than Benny Cousin's R1 debut in 09!!!

Our mids are getting the job done, we are third in the comp for inside 50's Collingwood is ninth. Clearly there is something more wrong with our forward line than collingwoods.
As I have just pointed out in another thread , we are also one of the highest sides scored against for turnovers in our forward 50 and clearances .
Also would think from watching him that Clokes majority of marks are outside of 50 and one on one not within congestion created by sides setting up in our forward fifty.
Our mids are getting the job done against lesser sides as our top end is so good , however sides with similar top end get a hold of our second stringers due to having far better depth .

As I have just pointed out in another thread , we are also one of the highest sides scored against for turnovers in our forward 50 and clearances . Also would think from watching him that Clokes majority of marks are outside of 50 and one on one not within congestion created by sides setting up in our forward fifty. Are mids are getting the job done against lesser sides as our top end is so good , however against sides with similar top end get a hold of pur secobd stringers due to having far better depth .

I agree Cloke takes a lot of marks around 50-70m out. Which is somewhere we fall down when running out from HB. I would suggest that having Cloke up forward would drag a defender or two with him out of our forward 50 leaving much more for Jack to work in. Miller and Mcgaune clog up a lot of Jack's space because they drag their opponents to the fall of the ball too often. We looked most dangerous this year when miller lead up out of 50 as a hit up target drawing defenders away from Jack.

I agree Cloke takes a lot of marks around 50-70m out. Which is somewhere we fall down when running out from HB. I would suggest that having Cloke up forward would drag a defender or two with him out of our forward 50 leaving much more for Jack to work in. Miller and Mcgaune clog up a lot of Jack's space because they drag their opponents to the fall of the ball too often. We looked most dangerous this year when miller lead up out of 50 as a hit up target drawing defenders away from Jack.
Don't disagree , but Clokes personal form or lack of , for the reasons you raised wont be improved because he moves to us .

Almost as many repeat posts in here as the Post thread.

People want Cloke, they don't want Cloke
People want to pay whatever it costs, they don't want to pay anything
People think Cloke is great, they don't think he's great
Post is better... wait, what?

Done.To.Death

Hurry up and sign somewhere Cloke so we have something better to talk about :)

I simply cannot believe all the Cloke knockers expressing their b*llsh!t opinions. The kid has been under enormous pressure in the past few months, and yes, most of that is self inflicted (thanks to the pressure from his greedy entourage), but at the end of the day he has definately shown more than enough for the RFC to make a serious bid for his services. After all, we only need to look at the 'lower profile' recycled players added to our list in the past couple of seasons such as Maric (languishing in the SANFL last season), Morris (ditto, and a virtual unknown before last season), Grigg and Houli, who have majorly reignited their careers and Punt Road who have been solid contributors since Hardwick's tenure at the club.
I still believe it will be Carltank that will sign him up, shortly after Malthouse puts pen down on paper. If this happens, I honestly hope it backfires for them in 2013 leaving Malthouse and his prize recruit pondering 'what could have been!' Geez, Round 1 next season could draw more interest than Benny Cousin's R1 debut in 09!!!

Easy SA Tiger. So anyone who has an opinion differs from yours is a "b*sh!t opinion" SA? See, I respect your right to hold a different opinion and don't feel the need to denigrate it. It's obviously a divisive issue and most of the people posting in this thread - on both sides - have argued their point with great validity without the need to have a dip at fellow Tigers supporters. Cheers to the blokes playing the ball and not the man.

Easy SA Tiger. So anyone who has an opinion differs from yours is a "b*sh!t opinion" SA? See, I respect your right to hold a different opinion and don't feel the need to denigrate it. It's obviously a divisive issue and most of the people posting in this thread - on both sides - have argued their point with great validity without the need to have a dip at fellow Tigers supporters. Cheers to the blokes playing the ball and not the man.

Monty, all I was doing is expressing my strong opinion & thoughts on this hot topic! These thoughts have been emulated by stalwarts and opinionated professionals who would know a little bit more about the game than you and I!
I firmly believe that all Cloke knockers need to face reality that if Travis played in tiger colours this season, we would've been well entrenched in the 8 with a minimum of 13 wins and a whopping percentage.
Unfortunately Monty, you cannot deny that!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monty, all I was doing is expressing my strong opinion & thoughts on this hot topic! These thoughts have been emulated by stalwarts and opinionated professionals who would know a little bit more about the game than you and I!
I firmly believe that all Cloke knockers need to face reality that if Travis played in tiger colours this season, we would've been well entrenched in the 8 with a minimum of 13 wins and a whopping percentage.
If Cloke played as he has for Collingwood this year, I don't think so.
If the Cloke of last year, then very much so!

Actually this can be denied.

Would Cloke playing at CHF definitely help us? Of course it would.

its not that simple though. Allegedly he comes with a price of $800k+, which would put our cap under serious pressure. Pay that amount to one player, and history shows you (from other clubs experiences) usually 1-2 players get squeezed out (either due to cap pressure or seeking what they think is their fair pay level).

We don't have enough A Grade stars to risk losing any of them, and our depth is horrid, so we cannot afford to lose much of that.

Therefore the true cost of Cloke is which player/s will go as a result, and given the poor nature of our depth, I think its a price too high.

If Cloke played as he has for Collingwood this year, I don't think so.
If the Cloke of last year, then very much so!

Have you cosidered our average losing margin (so far) this season at 15.2 pts placed at No 1 in the comp, ahead of Sydney at 15.4 pts?
Did you also consider the numerous matches we lost by less than a kick?
In saying that, the Cloke of this year would have been enough to make the finals.

Actually this can be denied.

Would Cloke playing at CHF definitely help us? Of course it would.

its not that simple though. Allegedly he comes with a price of $800k+, which would put our cap under serious pressure. Pay that amount to one player, and history shows you (from other clubs experiences) usually 1-2 players get squeezed out (either due to cap pressure or seeking what they think is their fair pay level).

We don't have enough A Grade stars to risk losing any of them, and our depth is horrid, so we cannot afford to lose much of that.

Therefore the true cost of Cloke is which player/s will go as a result, and given the poor nature of our depth, I think its a price too high.

One would think that Carltank would be in a similar or even worse financial position!

One would think that Carltank would be in a similar or even worse financial position!

Agree. It is also worth noting that signing Judd to a massive contract has not hindered their ability to sign and satisfy their young guns.

And the discussion of who they will have to offload has already started on SEN and AW (names being suggested were Warnock and Hampson).

even for the Blues, there will be a fair price to pay to get Cloke

Agree. It is also worth noting that signing Judd to a massive contract has not hindered their ability to sign and satisfy their young guns.

Remember a massive chunk of his salary was tucked away in the Visy ambassadorship.

Yeah true, but I thought 7-900,000 or so was still in the their cap?

C4 would probably know more than I do.

Read earlier in the season the Visy deal is around $250k per year. Thats an important amount of coin, because it covers those small ($50k-100k) pay rises you referred to.

Also remember Blues are similar to us in that they have a few guns attracting most of the money, but a lot of younger guys who are yet to show enough to demand higher amounts. This will change in coming years (same for us), and again may see them lose 1-2 players more than normal if they take on Cloke's pay cheque.

Read earlier in the season the Visy deal is around $250k per year. Thats an important amount of coin, because it covers those small ($50k-100k) pay rises you referred to.

Also remember Blues are similar to us in that they have a few guns attracting most of the money, but a lot of younger guys who are yet to show enough to demand higher amounts. This will change in coming years (same for us), and again may see them lose 1-2 players more than normal if they take on Cloke's pay cheque.

Yeah I agree taking on Cloke would/should hurt them financially, but my point is, we wouldnt be as hurt as many think if we took him. Carlton have not lost anyone of note since getting Judd and I would be confident that atleast $800ish of his wage was under the cap.

So I see no reason, if the leadership group agreed to it, that we couldnt pay Cloke his $800K. I have heard that most big recruits like this are usually discussed with the leaders of the club to ensure everyone is happy and on the same page.

I would imagine if we did sign Cloke he would be on a fairly front loaded contract.
Benny has been going on about FTF would allow us to be able to pre pay contracts for the future, barring gross mismanagement we should be able to handle his salary no problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back