Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Travis Johnstone

thanks for nothin TJ...I hope this proves a lesson for the lions...DO NOR TRADE 1ST ROUNF PICKS FOR RECYLED HAS BEENS!!!!

Agree TBD. Whilst Trapper was a downhill skier he did have impact in attack. Its ashame he couldn't transfer that impact into defence.

His presence on our list next season will only takes games away from a young player. I'd rather see a young fella learn the ropes for 15 odd games next year than watch Travis drift in and out of those same 15 games.

He's had ample opportunity to earn a new contract and hasn't done so. He can only blame himself if the Club lets him go.

Would be handy for another year imo, good luck to the poor bloke, hope there is something out there for him. Could be so good to watch when on song.

I still hope we keep TJ, I think he has a role to play at the lions in 2011.

I agree, with Brennan, Sherman, Rischitelli and Selwood gone, I would have thought TJ would be good value for another year on a wing or half forward or something. Knowing that no other club would take, he would command whatever the club is willing to offer and for mine, I would keep him...as TBD said, unfairly maligned IMO and was a shame he was not given the same opportunities as what Sherman was given this year, who did not warrant them.

I agree, with Brennan, Sherman, Rischitelli and Selwood gone, I would have thought TJ would be good value for another year on a wing or half forward or something. Knowing that no other club would take, he would command whatever the club is willing to offer and for mine, I would keep him...as TBD said, unfairly maligned IMO and was a shame he was not given the same opportunities as what Sherman was given this year, who did not warrant them.

I think you might find that the reason Travis kept getting dropped was because he wouldn't follow the coach's orders. For a bloke with 200 games under his belt to be getting repeatedly dropped for form has to tell you that his time is up.

Saw the best and worst of him again this season (3 or 4 brownlow votes i think) inconsistent as always but was pretty good in alot of games.

I think you might find that the reason Travis kept getting dropped was because he wouldn't follow the coach's orders. For a bloke with 200 games under his belt to be getting repeatedly dropped for form has to tell you that his time is up.

I do agree to an extent but if this were true, wouldn't you have to ask yourself if countless others deserved to be in the team? It would seem to me this season either the game plan was WAY off, or most of, if not all of the players were not playing to it effectively.

Seriously, all you bloggers going on about poor old TJ being unfairly maligned etc etc- get real. He was "maligned" by the coaching staff who continually "maligned" him by dropping him. Why- presumably because he was lazy, undisciplined and lacked a team focus.

He would be a list clogger at best if retained. We ain't getting any better with him on the list.

Seriously, all you bloggers going on about poor old TJ being unfairly maligned etc etc- get real. He was "maligned" by the coaching staff who continually "maligned" him by dropping him. Why- presumably because he was lazy, undisciplined and lacked a team focus.

He would be a list clogger at best if retained. We ain't getting any better with him on the list.

Agree with this, lazy and undisciplined in particular. He did not know what a second effort was, and for a supposedly good kick he butchered an awful lot of delivery.

Agree with this, lazy and undisciplined in particular. He did not know what a second effort was, and for a supposedly good kick he butchered an awful lot of delivery.

Agree, I keep hearing what a great kick he is, but seriously he butchers it alot, and continually holds the ball up waiting for an option, just move it along

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A player like him was not suited in bringing the ball out of defense for our team. A lot of the time, he simply had no targets to go to as our team doesn't seem to believe in movement to create space. He is the type of guy that will hold the ball until he sees a target, unlike someone like a Riska that will just bomb it away towards a general direction. His delivery into the 50 is fantastic, it's a pitty we couldn't have him kicking the ball in there this season.

Trapper tried his guts out in games, his form was inconsistant and in the end that will be his downfall. But i still dislike that he seems to have been singled out when so so many players played just as bad this year.

With how young our list is, i think he is worth hanging onto for depth. He is at the end of the road, he isn't going to be on big money, he still brings experience to the team.

thanks for nothin TJ...I hope this proves a lesson for the lions...DO NOR TRADE 1ST ROUNF PICKS FOR RECYLED HAS BEENS!!!!

That's a shitty thing to say about anyone mate. Whatever you thought of his form, he wasn't our worse performed. And none of us can really say that he didn't put his all into training and try to improve his game.

A player like him was not suited in bringing the ball out of defense for our team. A lot of the time, he simply had no targets to go to as our team doesn't seem to believe in movement to create space. He is the type of guy that will hold the ball until he sees a target, unlike someone like a Riska that will just bomb it away towards a general direction. His delivery into the 50 is fantastic, it's a pitty we couldn't have him kicking the ball in there this season.

Trapper tried his guts out in games, his form was inconsistant and in the end that will be his downfall. But i still dislike that he seems to have been singled out when so so many players played just as bad this year.

With how young our list is, i think he is worth hanging onto for depth. He is at the end of the road, he isn't going to be on big money, he still brings experience to the team.

This. Good post Chopperduck, particularly good call about his always waiting for a target. Not to say I really think we should keep him. I am kind of on the fence with that. His good kicking and ability to find a target is useless when he's got a bunch of spuds standing still up the ground with their opponents zoning all over them. This is something some of us are still not seeing...our kick-ins were shit, but this started because our players were not being taught or pushed to run to make a target (whether through laziness, low fitness or lack of discipline or gameplan). This was then exasperated by the fact that our players were so reluctant to kick to a contest and ended up chipping it short.

TJ may not fit in our game plan or future so I would not be fussed to see him delisted but if he did stay, he should be given another role. He is an attacking player, send him up on the wing so he can kick to players who are leading and running hard.

The more I think about it the more surprised I will be if he is kept. I think there is a tiny bit of value in keeping him with the midfield changes for next year but I would rather see us draft another player than keep him on for another year. He will be lucky to play more than 8 games and only 1 or 2 of those he would add to the side.

Lions axe Johnstone
By Jason Phelan
5:55 PM Thu 28 Oct, 2010

THE BRISBANE Lions have dumped veteran midfielder Travis Johnstone as part of their player purge following a disastrous 2010 season. The Lions sent pick 14 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft to Melbourne to acquire Johnstone ahead of the 2008 season and he managed 49 games in three years at the club.

Johnstone struggled for form and fitness in his stint with the Lions and was dropped on several occasions over the past two seasons. The former No.1 draft pick leaves the Lions with 209 AFL games to his credit and at 30 years of age looks set to remain on that figure.

johnstone.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back