Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to see Trav go. Voss' scapegoat was always going to struggle to survive. Roundly criticised for lack of defensive pressure, however, he certainly chased and tackled more than Power, Black, Brown and Fevola in 2010. Unfairly treated - all the best Trav, hope you get an opportunity to stick it up a few people in 2011.

Sorry to see Trav go. Voss' scapegoat was always going to struggle to survive. Roundly criticised for lack of defensive pressure, however, he certainly chased and tackled more than Power, Black, Brown and Fevola in 2010. Unfairly treated - all the best Trav, hope you get an opportunity to stick it up a few people in 2011.

Matthews was also hard on TJ maybe that reflects something about the player?? :confused:

All the best in the future with whatever you choose to do Trav. Thanks for being apart of the club that your grandfather was apart of. Will miss you :(.

Travis has certainly polarised opinion on this board!

I've always felt that he failed to live up to expections for the Lions and disagree that he was held to a higher standard than others. IMO he was, quite rightly, held to the standard that both Leigh and Vossy knew he was capable of but failed to consistently produce. I will say that when he did, he was an absolute pleasure to watch.

All the best Trav, to you, your partner and the bub to come.

Re: Travis Johnstone

After the 1st season here he really made an effort to change and earn his keep. So it was nice to see him giving it his all (more often then not). He was a bit of a feel good story. Former slacker turns it around at the end.

Re: Travis Johnstone

I never really thought he was your worst player. But i think he had a tendency to stray away from his role a bit and this was probably reflected in his continual playing in the 2's and eventual de-listing.

I'm really quite upset at TJ being delisted:(

I'm finding it hard to comprehend that he is a worse player than some of the others who have been given another go.

From all reports he was keen to go around again....what did we have to lose by giving him a "cheapie" one year contract....especially after losing Riska, JB and Shermo from the on-ball mix?

Very harsh delisting IMO.

Good luck TJ.....that hobo beard will be sorely missed:(

I'm really quite upset at TJ being delisted:(

I'm finding it hard to comprehend that he is a worse player than some of the others who have been given another go.

Yep, contracted or not, I find it hard too that guys like Sheldon, Austin, Hawksley, Xav Clarke, Raines, and Buchanan offer the club anything that TJ doesn't do better...well there is 6 players who will be delisted over the course of the next two years.

Johnstone looking for a third AFL chance
By Tim Clarke
12 November 2010 05:06PM EST

Dumped Brisbane midfielder Travis Johnstone, three strike Hawk Travis Tuck and axed grand finalist Robert Eddy are among 37 players to nominate for next week’s AFL national draft.

johnstone15.jpg

Link to article

He is heading to Darwin this weekend to make his NTFL debut for the Palmerston Magpies in round six of the competition.The Northern Territory News has reported that Johnstone will arrive in Darwin on Saturday morning for the match and has been named to start at half-forward.
If Johnstone isn't picked up, he could still be considered by clubs with selections in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft on December 7.
He could also be recruited as a mature-age rookie on the same day.

johnstone15.jpg

Number 1 picks

Johnstone's career may have come to an end in 2010 but for a time his right foot was among the most lethal in the game. Perhaps he never hit the heights some may have expected, with injury and inconsistency plaguing the early years of his career, but when he was firing for Melbourne during its more successful run earlier in the decade, the Demons looked a far more potent outfit. He played his best football on a wing, with some memorable performances on the MCG.

He won Melbourne's best and fairest in 2005, with that year and the following season clearly his best in Demons colours. The Chelsea junior was only fair in 2007, and after 10 seasons and 160 matches for the red and blue he was traded to the Brisbane Lions. Again, he showed flashes of his immense talent, this time mainly across half back, but failed to win a regular berth - firstly under Leigh Matthews and later under Michael Voss.

johnstone13.jpg

Link to article

Johnstone was continually criticized for not tearing a game apart like his colleagues from the class of '97, and premiership players, Brad Ottens, Trent Croad and Luke Power, all of whom were taken in the first five selections of that year's draft.

But he tended to suffer from the Mark Waugh Syndrome, in which he was judged harshly for making sport look so deceptively simple. He might have been trying as hard as any of his teammates but, to some, it looked as though he was loafing.

edit_preview.php

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Courier Mail

DE-LISTED Lion Travis Johnstone is not surprisingly attracting plenty of interest from QAFL clubs after he decided not to return to Victoria. Johnstone will be a handy in the new North Eastern League.

If I was an opposition coach, I'd still be far more worried about Travis Johnstone's ability to influence a game than Luke Power's. I fancy we might have got a bit more from Trav than someone like Charman, esecially given the loss of Brennan and Riska.

AFLQ

Redland have won the race for the signature of highly-rated midfielder Travis Johnstone and in doing so landed their third prized recruit of the summer.

The Bombers signed the 30-year-old former AFL star last night, beating at least two other rival clubs to the punch.

Having already attracted ex-Lion and Magpie Anthony Corrie and former St Kilda midfielder Brad Howard to Victoria Point, the securing of Johnstone ahead of some stiff competition will give the Bombers a power-packed on ball brigade in the inaugural season of the North East Australian Football League.

Was going through my foxtel IQ recordings today and re watched round 4 against the bulldogs last year.
Trav was so good with the ball in his hands and didn't waste a possession. A player we could use now I reckon. Raines was also really good in that game.

Yeah I was pretty surprised to see him cut. Would've thought his experience would be useful. Was one of my favourites as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back