Goo Trent Cotchin retires, the equal most successful captain of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

this is the kind of direspect I was expecting unfortunately

Trent was one of the few modern day footballers that was elite in both skill, completely ambidextrous and as hard as a cats head

The only other modern day footballers that was close to his level was Micheal Voss and Hodge,
Voss was not as skillful as Cotchin though, but was just as hard
Hodge was as skillful and as hard, but was not a midfielder
can't think of another player that had both those attributes at his elite level
Stop trying to turn it into a p***ing contest where people are voting on the best captain, where you then get to complain and conspiracy nut job yet another thread.

Celebrate the player, not at the expense of others or by having a go at everyone. It surely isn't that hard.

Tell me you didn't watch either of them play.
Elite skillful, hard, midfielder? Clayton Oliver. Marcus Bontempelli. Joel Selwood. Some guy called Judd.
Trent was one of the few modern day footballers that was elite in both skill, completely ambidextrous and as hard as a cats head
So was Sam Mitchell.

Stop trying to turn it into a p***ing contest where people are voting on the best captain, where you then get to complain and conspiracy nut job yet another thread.

Celebrate the player, not at the expense of others or by having a go at everyone. It surely isn't that hard.

Unfortunately a couple of Tigers posters here couldn't help themselves in the Buddy Franklin retirement thread and had to bring Dusty into it, even if both are two completely different type of players and champions

This is what gets opposition supporters riled about Richmond really

Elite skillful, hard, midfielder? Clayton Oliver. Marcus Bontempelli. Joel Selwood. Some guy called Judd.

So was Sam Mitchell.
Why do you waste your time responding to this troll

The only other modern day footballers that was close to his level was Micheal Voss and Hodge,
Voss was far superior to Cotchin, ffs.

That's taking nothing away from Cotchin either, was a wonderful player but you can't, in good faith, suggest Cotchin was in any way superior to Voss.

Unfortunately a couple of Tigers posters here couldn't help themselves in the Buddy Franklin retirement thread and had to bring Dusty into it, even if both are two completely different type of players and champions

This is what gets opposition supporters riled about Richmond really
Well, some are just scared they're going to be irrelevant for another 30+ years, after all.

This is extremely embarrassing in more ways than one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is going about the way I expected
Probably would've gone fine if OP didnt go the pre-emptive defensive melt and forget that there are 2 other premiership captains since 2000 who have captained their side to the same amount of premierships.

Great way to ruin a thread about a Richmond legend from the get-go. By a Tigers supporter, no less.

So was Sam Mitchell.

Clayton Oliver, no chance
Joel Selwood, this must be a joke, his skills where average
Judd could not kick on his left foot
The Bont, yea fair enough, elite in skills not as hard

Cotch had that element of nastiness about him that I always respected, much like Voss in that way, the sort of thing great leaders need in their arsenal, a complete single minded approach to making the ball their sole objective, if someone was in the way, it was bad luck for them

Very rare traits

Well now that you've brought it up, Cotchin was a bog-average player who peaked in his early 20s and doesn't hold a candle to Voss or even Hodge. I'd hold Cotchin in the same regard as Chad Wingard, not modern day greats.
Chad's had two All-Australian years thanks.

Trent's only managed one.

Mini said today that Trent may be the most influential player the club has ever had. Doesn't get much bigger than that.

Kevin Bartlett, Royce Hart, Dick Clay and the families of Jack Dyer and Skinny Titus should feel insulted by that.

It's actually pretty disrespectful to the history of the Richmond club and your club legends for Mini to say that.

More clarity and appropriate perspective required.

Kevin Bartlett, Royce Hart, Dick Clay and the families of Jack Dyer and Skinny Titus should feel insulted by that.

It's actually pretty insulting to the history of the Richmond club and your club legends for Mini to say that.

More clarity and appropriate perspective required.

I think your love and interest in the Richmond football club is an insult to carlton

There's countless great and memorable moments in Cotch's time at Tigerland, but unquestionably my favourite came early on in the 2019 GF.

All week the footy media and social media had been bunking up the Giants, rallying all the impartials onto the "big big sound" etc. All the keyboard warriors on social media prattled on about how "Big Mummy" was playing his last game and would go out in style by taking down a few of Richmond's key players early on to ensure a Giants win.

Hardly 10 minutes into the first quarter though, as Mumford took possession of the footy just inside the centre square, Trent Cotchin steps in and absolutely buries the big bloke with a superbly fair and crunching tackle. The big Giants ruckman didn't know what hit him, and never really recovered for the rest of the match, nor did his teammates.

Cotch gave away at least 20kgs and 10cm in that (and many other contests), but didn't hesitate to lay one of the biggest grand final tackles in living memory, and set the team on a course for his second flag as skipper in three seasons.

Love your work Cotch.

I think your love and interest in the Richmond football club is an insult to carlton

Lol

Cotchin is not much better as a player than Wayne Campbell or Matty Knights, he lucked out captaining 3 flags (2 against mediocre opposition in The Crows and Giants too)

Doesn't make him an all time great.

All the keyboard warriors on social media prattled on about how "Big Mummy" was playing his last game and would go out in style by taking down a few of Richmond's key players early on to ensure a Giants win.
Cringiest shit ever. Pretty sure there was a dedicated thread on bigfooty about it leading up to the game.

Then him and the rest of GWS crawled into a hole and died :laughing:.
Awful granny for a netural.

Cotch had that element of nastiness about him that I always respected,
Ah, yes, that element of nastiness...

1691641021964.png

You've killed this thread before it even started. Can somebody else start a proper congratulations thread and we can either let this one die, or move it to the bay?

Lol

Cotchin is not much better as a player than Wayne Campbell or Matty Knights, he lucked out captaining 3 flags (2 against mediocre opposition in The Crows and Giants too)

Doesn't make him an all time great.

Lucked out? Do you really believe what you’ve written Elmer or are you just being deliberately nasty to blaisee or whatever his name is?

Lucked out? Do you really believe what you’ve written Elmer or are you just being deliberately nasty to blaisee or whatever his name is?

this is just a way for him to cope on the long lasting anguish that he has been feeling since 2007, the day that carlton took Matthew Kruezer ahead of the greatest captain of the modern era

It is understandable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goo Trent Cotchin retires, the equal most successful captain of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back