Tribute to big Sav

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos_magic

Rookie
Aug 23, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Should be a massive crowd on Sunday at the Dome (or G, can't remember)
for the sending off of Sav Rocca. The guy hasn't been the greatest player of all time but he's been loved by just about everyone. No enemies and a real good bloke. Im sure Collingwood supporters will be just as sad as the roos supporters. I for one have formed the kangas as my second favourite side after Sav moved there. However i didn't disagree with the removal of him from our club, If that makes sense :confused:

Anyway, who will be attending the match? I'll be there.

I'll be there.

I agree with the suggestion that Anthony should help chair his brother from the field as well. It's not something that's commonly done - having an opposition player chair someone off - but it's not common that a player ends his career against his brother's team.

hoping and expecting every supporter at the ground to cheer him off when the game finishes! Pies supporters im sure will show their appreciation.

Yep, top player is Big Sav, remember the day he kicked 10+ against Melbourne at the G when he was playing for Collingwood.

By the way Sav >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anthony.

The guy has earned my respect over many years and I take my hat off to the big fella, he is a deadset legend and will really be missed by the AFL and the Kangaroos. :(

I hope he becomes an all-time NFL great like Darren Bennett.

I will probably go just to see him off (and to barrack against Collingwood).

I must admit, there is nothing like seeing Big Sav totally launch the pill from in the square, and go through at post height. One recalls in 1995 I think against Geelong at the G, an absolute monster, drop punt too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a quality bloke. Have never heard a bad word said about him and having met him a few times, can say that is one of the nicest blokes you could meet in footy.

And he can play footy like a bastard. I can't comment on his really devastating years at Collingwood where I am sure he was more prolific, but foe a few years he was our forward line, bridging the gap between Carey and Thompson manfully. Dependable, occasionly outstanding. Seemed to bring his best for important games or periods within games.

And yes, watching him drop a footy over the pickets from 60 out in person is quite an experience. The thing just disapears off his boot.

Sad to see Big Sav depart the game. (Bloody NFL- taken two blokes who could genuinely entertain a crowd with their kicking). Was always one of the few I liked at Eddiewood and was a champ of a bloke too. Kinda half regretted not getting him instead of the 'Roos, but if that happened Fev wouldnt be here (at least not at Carlton)

Good luck Saveloy.:thumbsu:

But no more battered Sav headlines:thumbsdown:

Yep, will be missed at Rooland as we came to like the big fella almost from the start. One of the nicer guys going around footy world IMO. Struck me as a big, quiet and shy guy. Always polite to Roos fans at functions with a smile on his face.

Sure will miss all around me yelling out when Sav would mark the ball close to centre "Have a shot!!!!!!!"

Good Luck Sav and remember, we get first dibs on your kids should they be any good at footy.:thumbsu:

Good luck to a good footballer and person. It is funny how well liked he is now that he isn’t at Collingwood. He was canned mercilessly when at The Pies – like his brother is now. He was better at Collingwood than he has been at North. Probably more reliable at North but more devastating at Collingwood. Kicked 100 goals in his first 25 senior games I once read (never checked that out). Kicked 90 odd in a season before his knee held him back thereafter. When in full flight he was awesome to watch. I hope he kicks a few in a losing side on the weekend.

I'm considering going along, just to see Sav one last time. Champion player. Sensational to watch. Whenever he got the ball you could feel the excitement in the crowd. Anytime he marked it I wouldn't boo like I would any other opposition player having a shot, I'd yell out "Have a shot Sav!" because there's nothing like seeing him nail a goal from 80mts out.

Good luck to you Sav.

I still remember a day at the G with a Richmond mate. Sav had a shot and hit the post from just outside the square. My mate thought that was hilarious. Of course Richo followed suit and the duelling missed sitters began. Entertainment aplenty that day. I can’t even remember who won.

Daicos_magic said:
Should be a massive crowd on Sunday at the Dome (or G, can't remember)
for the sending off of Sav Rocca. The guy hasn't been the greatest player of all time but he's been loved by just about everyone. No enemies and a real good bloke. Im sure Collingwood supporters will be just as sad as the roos supporters. I for one have formed the kangas as my second favourite side after Sav moved there. However i didn't disagree with the removal of him from our club, If that makes sense :confused:

Anyway, who will be attending the match? I'll be there.

gee you shouldnt have.....:D

na just kidding. we are saying farewell to one of the best full-forwards of all time. good luck in the nfl

vinnie_vegas69 said:
I'll be there.

I agree with the suggestion that Anthony should help chair his brother from the field as well. It's not something that's commonly done - having an opposition player chair someone off - but it's not common that a player ends his career against his brother's team.

That would be a really nice gesture. I'm expecting the Collingwood fans to show their support for him after the final siren.

I still remember the support the Richmond supporters gave Jason McCartney in his last match. The game was very close, and despite losing they showed a lot of class in showing their respect for him.

yeah ill be there! gotta love the big sav
my favourite memory of him was when he and bucks put on a show at victoria park against freo i think he kicked 11!

I hope all people give him the respect he deserves on sunday.A wonderful person, not a bad word to say about anyone or anything despite being given the arse to go on and become "the much loved man" at a great club.I'm not sure that we have the current squad with all our omissions to win the game, but whatever the result, Sav will live forever in our household.

You're the 'man' big fella!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Tribute to big Sav

Remove this Banner Ad

Back