Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah Little Talks seems quite popular I'd give it backing for a top 10 spot too.

think that Birds of Tokyo will perform well, the song is similar in a way to Plans, it's one of their softer songs and it's got great mainstream appeal too aswell as the J's loving them and they always manage to chart. I'd say top 50 easy, around the 25 mark unless it picks up steam and gets alot of play (which is highly likely tbh) between now and end of the year.

I had a feeling Bangarang was out last year, think Sweet Sour actually leaked (the song) in Dec 11 too so not sure on them. Guess if they'll be eligible they'll be on the shortlist.

Thoughts on the other songs I listed, thewitness?

Ugh, what has happened to the hot 100? Seriously? I remember the Jan 2010 countdown was the first wtf one, just been getting worse ever since.

And Skrillex is awful, in my mind he is in the same category as David Guetta, just an embarrasingly overpraised hack.

What has happened is the J's have moved away from their roots as an "Alternative" station and have become a Youth station. Combine this with the current trend decline of guitar driven music, being replaced by "catchy beats" and thats why all this Pop stuff (INDIEYEAHRIGHTLOL) is becoming the norm. And of course Aus-Hop, which is largely awful bar a few select cuts from Drapht, Phrase and Anecdote (Hilltop and 360 are overplayed garbage).

I loved listening to the H100 countdowns and have done so since I was like 9 years old, but since 2006 they've declined in quality sharply.

Gotye is a J's favourite from way back. Can't be mad he won just because of the saturation the song got on mainstream radio.
Dude is signed to a major label. You can't get mad that he's played on mainstream radio, because in fact, he deserves to get played on mainstream radio. The thing is, a lot of Triple J music is so far from alternative it's not funny.

Poor purist. How it pangs him that Austereo play music that Triple J discovered. How dare Wally de Backer go off and make money when the sanctity of his station commands every artist's sacrifice at the altar of success? I bet he still enjoys it when Bloc Party or Kele get a spin though.

I doubt de Backer cares one jot what you think of him (literally) selling out.

Poor purist. How it pangs him that Austereo play music that Triple J discovered. How dare Wally de Backer go off and make money when the sanctity of his station commands every artist's sacrifice at the altar of success? I bet he still enjoys it when Bloc Party or Kele get a spin though.

I doubt de Backer cares one jot what you think of him (literally) selling out.
I don't listen to triple j, because it represents something I kind of hate with youth and mainstream Aussie music culture – because no matter how alternative you think it is, triple j plays popular 'indie,' and they rarely break new ground.

And I don't care what anyone says, I still respect musicians more if they maintain some dignity. Selling your music to help sell Maccas or Holden's is just something I don't really find appealling. I'd sooner be poor and ethical, than a sell out. Success is not measured by the amount of people being exposed to it. That doesn't constitute something's worth.

And Bloc Party have made waves through their music. It's pretty average these days, but they've been signed to Wichita, VICE, and now Frenchkiss: All indie labels, even when the £££ were being waved in front of them. Efix.

I don't listen to triple j, because it represents something I kind of hate with youth and mainstream Aussie music culture – because no matter how alternative you think it is, triple j plays popular 'indie,' and they rarely break new ground.

as opposed to ' popular alt rock in the 90's:p

music has changed and younger people are enjoying new sounds. who care's.. i hardly listen now but its only because i am getting older and there is so much other ways to find new stuff now. There are still two worthy slots on the station though.. mornings from 9-12 and sunday 6-9 because the focus is a bit different..

Uh, I was born in 90s. I am a young person, and Triple J is just shit. There is nothing cool about Alt-J or Bon Iver.
Just so i can gauge, what do you consider "cool" Mr Silent Alarm. I by no means am trying to defend Bon Iver which i also am not a fan of, but what would you like to hear on Triple J if you were to listen to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so i can gauge, what do you consider "cool" Mr Silent Alarm. I by no means am trying to defend Bon Iver which i also am not a fan of, but what would you like to hear on Triple J if you were to listen to it.
I'm not saying I'm cool at all, because I'm not cool. I'm just saying what I think, and people who don't like it when I say it get a bit defensive... probably because they're reared on the self-anointed idea that they are "hipster" or "indie," when they're neither (regardless of whatever it is each tag entails).

Your question is hard to answer. I don't watch TV because I don't like being told when or what I have to watch, just as I wouldn't like art if I were forced to engage with it at absolutely defined times (a gallery being opened for a certain amount of time is completely different to a TV show's air time). I don't know. I don't want to hear anything specific because I don't like radio. I don't have a car and I like to listen to Deerhunter when I want, Twerps when I feel like it, and Radiohead when I need.

I'm basically attacking the people who listen to Triple J. They parade it around like its a signifier, an integral part of who they are. It's because they think it's the showcase of 'alternative,' and it paints them as a bit different; And not because the songs speak to them. I mean, Two Door Cinema Club is disposable and paper thin, nobody listens to them for enlightenment. Not all music is art, and I don't listen to music solely to be influenced, enlightened, or completely engaged with. But when I want music to say something about me, I want the music to represent things that I experience, feel, or resonate with. I don't say I like something because it's "different" (the very fact I noted Radiohead, once signed to EMI, is an example of that).

I dunno, dude. I dunno. Do you want me to tell you the bands I dig? I'm not getting into that charade.

Triple J, to me, represents something flawed about youth culture. It's something you can't really describe, but it's this yearning to be different: When in actual fact, you're a white kid from the suburbs, and you'll only mean as much as you want yourself to. Triple J isn't an alternative music station, it's a youth music station.

No offence to him, but I was talking to a BF poster and JJJ listener about Grimes. He said it was "something different," to which I retorted "but it's pop music," implying that it's not different... at alll.. And the thing is, Grimes herself acknowledges that her music is for dancing, and it's pop. He said "yeah, I don't listen to pop music though." The thing is, he does. That is what he likes. And that's what I like as well. Pop music isn't strictly the kind of socially decaying shit of "Gangnam Style" or the big-wig puppet-pieces of Taylor Swift – pop doesn't have to be in the charts. Pop is engaging, melodic, and kind of immediate. But ask the average triple J listener "do you like pop?" and they'll say no. Why? Because "pop" to them is the antithesis of Triple J – and pop, to them, represents their surroundings, their absolute normality, so they try and escape it.

I dig pop music. I don't like Gaga, but I like The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and New Order. Triple J play pop music for kids who reckon they don't like pop music. A radio station reared at the regular youth of Australia wouldn't exist unless it played pop music.

I'm not saying I'm cool at all, because I'm not cool. I'm just saying what I think, and people who don't like it when I say it get a bit defensive... probably because they're reared on the self-anointed idea that they are "hipster" or "indie," when they're neither (regardless of whatever it is each tag entails).

Your question is hard to answer. I don't watch TV because I don't like being told when or what I have to watch, just as I wouldn't like art if I were forced to engage with it at absolutely defined times (a gallery being opened for a certain amount of time is completely different to a TV show's air time). I don't know. I don't want to hear anything specific because I don't like radio. I don't have a car and I like to listen to Deerhunter when I want, Twerps when I feel like it, and Radiohead when I need.

I'm basically attacking the people who listen to Triple J. They parade it around like its a signifier, an integral part of who they are. It's because they think it's the showcase of 'alternative,' and it paints them as a bit different; And not because the songs speak to them. I mean, Two Door Cinema Club is disposable and paper thin, nobody listens to them for enlightenment. Not all music is art, and I don't listen to music solely to be influenced, enlightened, or completely engaged with. But when I want music to say something about me, I want the music to represent things that I experience, feel, or resonate with. I don't say I like something because it's "different" (the very fact I noted Radiohead, once signed to EMI, is an example of that).

I dunno, dude. I dunno. Do you want me to tell you the bands I dig? I'm not getting into that charade.

Triple J, to me, represents something flawed about youth culture. It's something you can't really describe, but it's this yearning to be different: When in actual fact, you're a white kid from the suburbs, and you'll only mean as much as you want yourself to. Triple J isn't an alternative music station, it's a youth music station.

No offence to him, but I was talking to a BF poster and JJJ listener about Grimes. He said it was "something different," to which I retorted "but it's pop music," implying that it's not different... at alll.. And the thing is, Grimes herself acknowledges that her music is for dancing, and it's pop. He said "yeah, I don't listen to pop music though." The thing is, he does. That is what he likes. And that's what I like as well. Pop music isn't strictly the kind of socially decaying shit of "Gangnam Style" or the big-wig puppet-pieces of Taylor Swift – pop doesn't have to be in the charts. Pop is engaging, melodic, and kind of immediate. But ask the average triple J listener "do you like pop?" and they'll say no. Why? Because "pop" to them is the antithesis of Triple J – and pop, to them, represents their surroundings, their absolute normality, so they try and escape it.

I dig pop music. I don't like Gaga, but I like The Pains of Being Pure at Heart and New Order. Triple J play pop music for kids who reckon they don't like pop music. A radio station reared at the regular youth of Australia wouldn't exist unless it played pop music.

What's that one about the pot and the black kettle again?

Sorry mate, i wasn't expecting an essay for an answer. So your problem is more with the JJJ listener who thinks listening to that station over others make them special some how. If that's the case i think i agree with you. JJJ is just another station and with so many ways that music is now accessable, the "listening to JJJ makes me cool" tag was probably lost in the late 90's.
You don't really have a problem with the station itself. I've never heard JJJ claim to be an "alternative" radio station, they just play some music that wouldn't always find a home on commercial radio, and that includes all types including Pop music. When something becomes mainstream popular does that mean JJJ should stop playing it? Thats a philosophical questions for themselves I guess. I don't mind that i can hear Birds of Tokyo or Missy Higgins or whoever on JJJ or some commercial station, but I'm not going to hear Parkway Drive on Austereo like i heard on JJJ this morning.
But back to my question from before. JJJ is a music radio station so they have to play music of some sort, I was just asking what you would want them to play and still be able to justify their existence to the government? Or are you quite happy with what they already play, because you don't listen anyway.
PS. I love riding my "Gangnam" horse, but i'm also a sucker for a bit of SBS Popasia digital radio every now and then.

What do you think the chances are of Hold On - Alabama Shakes placing high?

I think some other strong contenders for at least the top twenty include:

Get Free - Major Lazer
Feel The Love - Rudimental
Surrender - Ball Park Music
Elephant - Tame Impala
Float Away - Seth Sentry

Oh and, Breezeblocks - Alt-J. People seem to be loving it at the moment.

Reckon this is warming into a pretty high position. Top Ten smoky.

After having a bit of a catch-up session, here's some songs I'd expect fairly high up the count...

Temper Trap - Trembling Hands/Need Your Love
Something for Kate - Survival Expert
The Presets - Ghosts/Youth In Trouble
Mumford and Sons - I Will Wait
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (probably roughly the favourite at this point)
Lisa Mitchell - Spiritus
Muse - Madness
Major Lazer - Get Free
Grimes - Genesis/Oblivion
Hermitude - HyperParadise (Flume Remix)
Chiddy Bang - Mind Your Manners
Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling
G.O.O.D Music - Mercy

And you can probably toss in some Lana Del Rey and Azealia Banks into the mix too. Not bad. If that's the top end it's going to be better than last year's.

EDIT - Toss in Birds of Tokyo and Missy Higgins too.

Grinspoon - Passerby
Smashing Pumpkins - Panopticon
Birds of Tokyo - This Fire
Something for Kate - Survival Expert
Avicii - Silhouettes
Lupe Fiasco - Around My Way
GOOD Music - Clique
Ball Park Music - Surrender
Violent Soho - Tinderbox
Bloc Party - Kettling

That's my 10, also expect these to chart too

Nas - Accident Murderers
Temper Trap - Trembling Hands
Gaslight Anthem - 45
GOOD Music - Mercy
Chiddy Bang - Mind Your Manners
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (no. 1 imo)
Alt J - Breezeblocks
Bloc Party - Octopus
Jack White - Love Interrupted
Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling
Band of Skulls - Wanderluster
Skrillex - Bangarang (if it's eligible)
Hilltop Hoods - Speaking in Tongues
Muse - Madness
Major Lazer - Get Free

Reckon this will be my 10, no order:

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Swim and Sleep Like a Shark
The xx - Chained
The Royal Concept - D-D-Dance
Alt-J - Breezeblocks
Ball Park Music - Coming Down
Bloc Party - Real Talk
Major Lazer - Get Free
GOOD Music - Mercy
Hermitude - HyperParadise (Flume remix)
Django Django - Default

Didn't want to put two from the same artist but I definitely could have in a couple of instances. Most of mine are probably very popular choices but I'm nonplussed.

Shortlist at this stage:

The Shins - Simple Song
Passion Pit - Take A Walk
Charli XCX - Nuclear Season
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes - That's What's Up
Lisa Mitchell - Bless This Mess
Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks
St. Lucia - Before The Dive
The Offspring - The Future Is Now
Them Swoops - Work Around It
The Vaccines - No Hope
The Killers - Runaways
The Killers - Here With Me
Walk the Moon - Anna Sun

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back