Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Midnight City is a massive chance for top 5, even 2nd or 3rd in my opinion. I know its a small data pool but everyone in my facebook feed seems to be voting for it. It would also add a touch of quality to the top 5 too.

2600 song votes would come from 2600 voters as you can only vote for each song once.

Yes, but when triple j discuss getting "over 700000 votes in this years hottest 100", for example, thata the total amount of votes cast for all songs, and with people able to cast up to 10 votes, it comes out to, roughly, 70000 voters. Hence asking if 2600 is total votes counted, or total voters! :)

2600 votes is only from 260 voters so not very representative especially seeing that those voters are not randonly selected and certain forums favour certain styles of music. So really it's just a predictive aid but for me its a better system then just guessing.
Pre 2009 by just guessing i would normally tip 65-75 of the top 100 and only about 30 within 10 positions.
For 2009 this system tipped 80 correct and 51 within 10 places.
For 2010 it tipped 82 out of the 100 and 50 within 10 places.
Outside the top 40 songs its a bit hit and miss.

Does anyone think Benny Benassi - Cinema (skrillex remix) is picking up votes from people voting for it because they like the normal unremixed mainstream song.

For a song to sneak into position 100 it would need about 1600 votes based on 700000 total votes, so i dont think any local band could gather that many votes by asking their friends to vote for them.

Does anyone think Benny Benassi - Cinema (skrillex remix) is picking up votes from people voting for it because they like the normal unremixed mainstream song.

The Skrillex remix is the mainstream one on triple J. The original song is shithouse. The remix has something like 20 million more views on youtube.

I'm not a fan of either version of the cinema song but we all know about a third of voters in the hottest 100 probably only listen to jjj once a year, I think most of them would be more used to the non skrillex remix that gets smashed on commercial radio where they spend most of their time.

I'm not a fan of either version of the cinema song but we all know about a third of voters in the hottest 100 probably only listen to jjj once a year, I think most of them would be more used to the non skrillex remix that gets smashed on commercial radio where they spend most of their time.

18 million more views on youtube for essentially the same song has to count for something though! I reckon the dub step voters will outweigh the commercial radio listeners! Also, you need to take into account the amount of Skrillex fans vs Benni Benassi fans.

My list...

Beirut - East Harlem
Death Cab For Cutie - You Are A Tourist
My Morning Jacket - Holding On To Black Metal
Wilco - Born Alone
Wu Lyf - We Bros
PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder
Radiohead - Codex
Fleet Foxes - Bedouin Dress
Tom Waits - Raised Right Men
Lisa Mitchell - The Ship Song {Straight To You: triple j's tribute To Nick Cave}

Going into mid voting crisis! Second guessing the top 20 every time I look at it.

Haha my votes are a joke.

Calling All Cars - Autobioticshttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Calling All Cars - Dancing With A Dead Manhttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Calling All Cars - Fireworks In A Hurricanehttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Calling All Cars - No Sleephttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Calling All Cars - Reptilehttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Calling All Cars - She's Delirioushttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Calling All Cars - Worlds Collidehttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Foo Fighters - Ropehttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Mastodon - Curl Of The Burlhttp://www2b.abc.net.au/votecentral...&WT.si_n=Hottest100Vote&WT.si_p=VoteComplete#
Trivium - Built To Fall

Thought I'd support Calling All Cars, lol. Could have used my votes much more effectively but I thought Boy & Bear, FTP, Gotye, The Black Keys would have enough support as it is. I do feel kind of bad about not voting for Rise Against or Mariarchi El Bronx though.

Thats what happens when you decide '**** it' and throw bulk votes at one of your favourite underrated bands.

^ Good votes, nothing wrong with supporting some actual rock music. Mastodon might make a late surge into the 100, Curl of the Burl is quite popular at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ Good votes, nothing wrong with supporting some actual rock music. Mastodon might make a late surge into the 100, Curl of the Burl is quite popular at the moment.
I fully agree about supporting rock music but if i was serious i would have only voted for 1 or 2 Calling All Cars - Reptile & possibly Worlds Collide/She's Delirious - and used the other 5 or 6 votes more 'productively'. I'm really hoping Curl of the Burl makes it.

Yeah I went for Reptile and had Worlds Collide in my shortlist.

Good to see you gave The Fooies some love too. Should've voted for RHCP and Blink tho -_-

But yeah, it used to be a countdown full of rock music, now it's more like, spot the rock music...

Going into mid voting crisis! Second guessing the top 20 every time I look at it.

Know how you feel kbuck! I'm trying to walk away from it and leave it be, for a while at least. Been doing this sort of thing (well a top 20 at least)since '96 and while it never gets any easier, this top 20 is a really tricky one, and you're right about #2-15 being especially difficult. Could make a case for at least 10 songs getting to #2.

Based on the amount of love for songs I'm seeing on this and other similar forums, I have revised my list (post #92 on this thread). Amongst some other changes, Matt Corby and Black Keys have moved up with Kimbra and the Wombats going down

Thanks for the kudos boyhumbug12. Back the late 90s/early 00s my friends/family did something similar to yours, except we did a Top 20. Best I ever managed was 14 out of 20. As you say even the Top 10 looks really tricky this year, and yours looks quite plausible. This is the first time I've attempted to pick all 100, so I'd be happy to beat 14 out of 20, which is 70 songs out of 100 all within +/- 10 songs of my prediction.

Gotye & Kimbra should be able to win.

Calvin Harris - will get at least one of his two hit singles (Feels So Close & Bounce FT. Kelis)
in the top ten.

Art VS Science - A.I.M Fire should be able to squeeze into top ten

Architecture in Helsinki - Escapee is an awsome song hopefully will get into top 20 or 30

Other songs like Shake It Out - Florence & Machine, Call it want you want - Foster The People, Act Yr Age - Bluejuice, Love Is A Drug - Eskimo Joe and Beggining Is Just the ending reapeted - The Living End will poll pretty well

Sparkadia - China should get in to top 10 or 20

I voted for:
360 - Killer
City And Colour - Fragile Bird
Gotye - I Feel Better
Jebediah - She's Like A Comet
Mantra - Got Me Wrong {Ft. Parvyn Kaur Singh}
Papa Vs Pretty - Honey
Pnau - Unite Us
Rise Against - Help Is On The Way
Skrillex - First Of The Year (Equinox)
Stonefield - Black Water Rising

Voted for:

Active Child - Hanging On
Aston Shuffle, The - Start Again
Elizabeth Rose - Stars Ago (Rufus Remix)
James Blake - Limit To Your Love
Kahn - Illy
Kasabian - I Hear Voices
Little Dragon - Little Man
Mitzi - All I Heard
Mr Little Jeans - The Suburbs
Rufus - Paris Collides

I voted for:
360 - Killer
City And Colour - Fragile Bird
Gotye - I Feel Better
Jebediah - She's Like A Comet
Mantra - Got Me Wrong {Ft. Parvyn Kaur Singh}
Papa Vs Pretty - Honey
Pnau - Unite Us
Rise Against - Help Is On The Way
Skrillex - First Of The Year (Equinox)
Stonefield - Black Water Rising

I reckon that wins the most eclectic set of 10 in this thread :)

no comment, other than to say I'm going to be pissed off if scrillex makes the top 5.

Mine:

Metronomy - She Wants
Beni - It's A Bubble
James Blake - Limit To Your Love
Little Dragon - Ritual Union
Neon Indian - Polish Girl
Roots, The - Make My {Ft. Big K.R.I.T/Dice Raw}
SBTRKT - Wildfire (Ft. Little Dragon}
TV On The Radio - Second Song
Tyler, The Creator - Yonkers
Wu Lyf - We Bros.

Don't think Skrillex will get top 5.

Gotye
Boy & Bear
M83
The Black Keys
Calvin Harris

is probably gonna end up as the top 5. Skrillex is almost certain for top 10 tho I reckon.

I reckon that wins the most eclectic set of 10 in this thread :)

I might have to disagree with that! I remember there being a very out there top 10 being posted early on in the thread. It included 4 or 5 songs that I had to youtube as I'd never heard of them.

Any love for Pull Out My Insides by Does it Offend You, Yeah? on here? My mate had it in his car last night and I'd forgotten what a ripping track it was.

Surprised at the lack of love J favs Regurgitator are getting. Thought they'd be a lock to chart with One Day but it doesn't seem to be getting many votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back