Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to get a feeling that the years 2005-2008 are going to get forgotten in this countdown. There were some good songs getting around then but people seem to be very nostalgic for the 90's or only remembering the past couple of years.

I'm starting to get a feeling that the years 2005-2008 are going to get forgotten in this countdown. There were some good songs getting around then but people seem to be very nostalgic for the 90's or only remembering the past couple of years.

Think you may be right - in fact I think 2001-2008 will get forgotten. Just hoping 2011-2012 isn't over-represented.

I must have smashed the hell out of it in 2007-08, because its the most played song on my iTunes by a long way.
Don't listen to it as much as I used to really, but definitely a fine song.

I could quite easily just vote 20 Radiohead songs and be very content :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you read the rules for voting on the JJJ website, it says live recordings of previously released tracks are ineligible. So I don't know whether that will rule out "About A Girl" as it was originally released in 1989. So I don't know whether they will consider the MTV unplugged version (which is much superior to the original) as a live recording or as a cover/different song that would then make it eligible.

No Way!

The unplugged version was good, but the Bleach version is awesome

Here is my first attempt - I need to put some time into listening and comparing various tracks. It also worries me that it is so heavily weighted towards the second decade of the 20 year period so I am obviously overlooking some gems.

The beauty of this period is it was around 1992-93 when I first seriously started listening to music and broke away from the usual kiddie top 40 type music so it is going to be so much fun refining this list.

1 - The Killers - When You Were Young (2006)
2 - The Dandy Warhols - Get Off (2000)
3 - Neil Finn - Hole In The Ice (2001)
4 - MGMT - Kids (2008)
5 - The Killers - Losing Touch (2008)
6 - MGMT - Electric Feel (2008)
7 - The Sleepy Jackson - This Day (2002)
8 - Mew - The Zookeeper's Boy (2006)
9 - Radiohead - Karma Police (1997)
10 - The Panics - Give Me Some Good Luck (2003)
11 - James - Getting Away With It (All Messed Up) (2001)
12 - Phoenix - Too Young (2000)
13 - Muse - New Born (2001)
14 - Interpol - The Heinrich Maneuver (2007)
15 - The Bravery - An Honest Mistake (2005)
16 - Okkervil River - Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe (2007)
17 - Julian Casablancas - Out Of The Blue (2010)
18 - Guillemots - Trains To Brazil (2006)
19 - Bloc Party - This Modern Love (2005)
20 - Cordrazine - Crazy {Single Version} (1997)

The shortlist is up to 168 songs

Dammit.

I was really happy with the 19 songs I posted earlier in the thread. I should've stayed away. It's started to grow reading this thread.

Massive Attack - Teardrop
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy
Pulp - Common People
Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You (although Screech had Get Off)

Good suggestions. My list's growing :(

Just whipped this up in around 10 minutes. I'm a sucker for nostalgia voting!
QOTSA - No One Knows
Radiohead - Karma Police
Radiohead - Creep
RATM - Killing in the name of
Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You
Bloodhound - Gang Bad Touch
Bloc Party - Positive Tension
The Strokes - You Only Live Once
Snow Patrol - Hands Open
Powderfinger - My Happiness
Silverchair - Anthem for the year 2000
Offspring - Pretty Fly
Regurgitator - !
Blink 182 - Dammit
Blink 182 - All the small things
Coldplay - The Scientist
Modest Mouse - Float On
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Run DMC v Jason Nevins - It's Like That

Are you going to create a prediction list again this time thewitness? Always appreciated the effort you put in and even tried to do my own last time (no time to this time though) but have never posted before.

This is my final vote, I will probably kick myself for missing an obvious one in 5 seconds, but oh well.

Radiohead - Reckoner
Weezer - El Scorcho
Radiohead - Karma Police
Radiohead - Pyramid Song
Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Beck - Sexx Laws
The Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac
Outkast - Hey Ya!
Radiohead - There There
Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Kanye West - Runaway
Augie March - One Crowded Hour
Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
The Panics - Don't Fight It
Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
Bon Iver - Skinny Love
Bon Iver - Holocene
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you going to create a prediction list again this time thewitness? Always appreciated the effort you put in and even tried to do my own last time (no time to this time though) but have never posted before.
I might give it a go, but will be much harder now that they have abandoned the facebook/twitter sharing. So will be hard to see what people are voting for.

Be hard for him to do that as I don't think there's a Facebook share option like there is for the annual countdowns, it didn't prompt me to one when I was voting.

So there's Smells Like Teen Spirit, Killing in the Name Of and Creep all ineligible for this (Creep surprised me as it was in the 93 H100) but their original release dates are outside of the time frame given.

Taking those 3 away which I was definitely wanting to vote for I eventually went with...

Foo Fighters - Everlong
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Oasis - Wonderwall
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By the Way
Powderfinger - My Happiness
The Offspring - Self Esteem
Blink 182 - Dammit
Pearl Jam - Better Man
Coldplay - Clocks
Ben Folds Five - Brick
Silverchair - Tomorrow
Grinspoon - Chemical Heart
Blur - Song 2
Eminem - Lose Yourself
Jay Z & Kanye West - fellows in Paris
The Strokes - Last Nite
Jebediah - Leaving Home
System of a Down - Chop Suey!

Left alot of stuff off, hard to leave off bands like Metallica, Weezer, Something for Kate, Outkast, Faith No More, Alice in Chains and the afformentioned Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine and Radiohead too.

Will do a bit of research and compile my short list soon , but off the top of my head the following are must haves.

Radiohead - Reckoner
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Radiohead - Karma Police
Radiohead - No Suprises
Radiohead - Electioneering
The National - Slow Show
Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love
Bjork - Hyperballad
Postal Service - Such Great Heights
TV On The Radio - Wolf Like Me
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Maps
Modest Mouse - Float On
At the Drive In - One Armed Scissor
Muse - Citizen Erased
The Shins - New Slang
The Antlers - Kettering
The Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand In Mine

This is going to be insanely hard o_O

Will do a bit of research and compile my short list soon , but off the top of my head the following are must haves.

Radiohead - Reckoner
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Radiohead - Karma Police
Radiohead - No Suprises
Radiohead - Electioneering
The National - Slow Show
Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love
Bjork - Hyperballad
Postal Service - Such Great Heights
TV On The Radio - Wolf Like Me
Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Maps
Modest Mouse - Float On
At the Drive In - One Armed Scissor
Muse - Citizen Erased
The Shins - New Slang
The Antlers - Kettering
The Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand In Mine

This is going to be insanely hard o_O

Not having a dig, just genuinely curious: Electioneering? Probably the worst on OK Computer IMO, let alone top 20 of the decade. Anyway, some great stuff on here.

Not having a dig, just genuinely curious: Electioneering? Probably the worst on OK Computer IMO, let alone top 20 of the decade. Anyway, some great stuff on here.

Yeah I've heard this argument before, I think because people see it just as a straight up plain old rock and roll song, and it doesn't seem to 'fit' OK Computer as a piece, they right it off, in isolation I love this song, it's frenetic ending, the build up, It was also the song that initially grabbed me on the album and drew me in to the Radiohead world, sure I grew to love other songs more, but I still have one big old soft spot for this one.

I think Radiohead fan's in general can be a bit precious* when it comes to discussing their more conventional stuff off of The Bends or Electioneering, I love their more challenging music, I love thier straight up rock songs such as High and Dry, when I overhear fans deriding Creep and claiming "Thom hates that song, he refuses to play it" I roll my eyes, I mean cmon....

*Not claiming you are precious TF3 :D

In No Particular Order(except no.1)

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
Oasis - Wonderwall
Oasis - Some Might Say
Pulp -Common People
Pulp - Underwear
Outkast - Hey Ya
Outkast - Ms Jackson
Macy Gray - Still
Macy Gray - I Try
Macy Gray - Nutmeg Fantasy
Macy Gray - Boo
Macy Gray - The Letter
Chumbawumba - Tubthumping
Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia
Snap - Rhythm is a Dancer
Matchbox 20 - If You're Gone
Kelly Clarkson - Since You've Been Gone
Train - Drops of Jupiter
Counting Crows - Mr Jones
No Doubt - Don't Speak

Lotta love for Radiohead's Reckoner, my favourite song of all time by a long, long way, perfect song! :thumbsu:
I absolutely love Radiohead but I wouldn't even put this in my top 25 Radiohead songs. Don't know why but I don't really rate it that much compared to some of their others.

Which reminds me I should get around to making this list...

Yeah I've heard this argument before, I think because people see it just as a straight up plain old rock and roll song, and it doesn't seem to 'fit' OK Computer as a piece, they right it off, in isolation I love this song, it's frenetic ending, the build up, It was also the song that initially grabbed me on the album and drew me in to the Radiohead world, sure I grew to love other songs more, but I still have one big old soft spot for this one.

I think Radiohead fan's in general can be a bit precious* when it comes to discussing their more conventional stuff off of The Bends or Electioneering, I love their more challenging music, I love thier straight up rock songs such as High and Dry, when I overhear fans deriding Creep and claiming "Thom hates that song, he refuses to play it" I roll my eyes, I mean cmon....

*Not claiming you are precious TF3 :D

Totally understand, RH fans can definitely be that way.

I absolutely love Radiohead but I wouldn't even put this in my top 25 Radiohead songs. Don't know why but I don't really rate it that much compared to some of their others.

Which reminds me I should get around to making this list...

I guess that's the thing when you have a body of work such as thier's, every fan will have their favourite's and most of the time there will be a lot of variance, imo a good thing :thumbsu:

I disagree. I think Electioneering-CUTW-No Suprises is the best stretch on OK Computer. Songs like The Tourist and Fitter Happier are clearly more limp, Electioneering is a really great track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J Hottest 100 of the last 20 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back