TV rights deal to be announced at 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

So looks like you'll need

Foxtel basics package
+ Sports Package
+ Fox Footy

Anyone want to take a stab at how much it'll cost? $80 a month?

You can't just have Fox Footy and no Sports Package? I've got Foxtel at the moment with the Sports Package - will be livid if I have to pay for another sports package on top. Actually I'll probably just drop it altogether if I can no longer see the footy on Fox Sports 1-3.

While Telstra's website management is indeed horrid, I'm glad that they retained the internet rights simply because they have a 24h AFL channel on the T-Box that replays all games every week. And as a non Foxtel subscriber, that's a great thing to have.

You can't just have Fox Footy and no Sports Package? I've got Foxtel at the moment with the Sports Package - will be livid if I have to pay for another sports package on top. Actually I'll probably just drop it altogether if I can no longer see the footy on Fox Sports 1-3.
There will be at least 3 games a week on Fox Sports 1; Saturday Arvo, Saturday Night and Sunday Arvo. If you live in Victoria this 3 games will be most likely be simulcast on FTA.

I suspect most games will be in HD, including all finals, but only on Foxtel. All FTA games will most likely all be SD except the grand final which will be simulcast in HD.

The way I read it, FOX will be rebroadcasting some 7 games - so unless 7 film them in HD, it'll be SD (or upscaled SD) only

Channel 9 is worse than 7 imo no more Eddie ever.

Commentary wise i would agree, however Channel 9 were exceptional with their camera angles and vision of the action. Whereas Channel 7 and 10 frequently miss "live" play, in order to review marks, goals or suspect player contact (leading into suspension talk etc).

Also interested what "Live Friday night football" means to Perth viewers - 5.30 start is not practical, so I'd expect we'd still get it delayed. A 7 PM start would be nice

With what is rumoured you will get Foxtel airing this game at 5.30pm then. Channel 7 will prob still air it on delay at 7pm so if you dont have foxtel you will still get delay coverage in Perth for Friday

The way I read it, FOX will be rebroadcasting some 7 games - so unless 7 film them in HD, it'll be SD (or upscaled SD) only
Unless Fox pays the additional cost of filming in HD which I think is a real possibility. To watch sport in HD on Fox Sports you have pay an extra $20/month. The more HD content they have, the more people pay to upgrade their packages.

Then Seven downscales for their broadcast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Herald Sun is streaming the announcement (Fox Sports' coverage) on their website as well, watching now.

So looks like you'll need

Foxtel basics package
+ Sports Package
+ Fox Footy

Anyone want to take a stab at how much it'll cost? $80 a month?

Fox Footy????

Please tell me it's coming back :eek:

Commentary wise i would agree, however Channel 9 were exceptional with their camera angles and vision of the action. Whereas Channel 7 and 10 frequently miss "live" play, in order to review marks, goals or suspect player contact (leading into suspension talk etc).

9 set a new benchmark for AFL coverage, which hasn't been met by 7 IMO, and if at best they have, they certainly haven't raised it any.

This is why 7 getting it is a really bad idea. They are not innovators, as you state, they miss live plays, goals even. They also go for the close up far too much. AFL is not a sport for close ups on TV. It amazes me that 7 have been filming AFL for so long and still can't get it right.

As for Foxtel, i.e. those willing to pillage their monthly family budget to get sport...well that is just plain wrong.

As a Collingwood member, I'll still get lots of FTA tv, but not all weeks, so I do feel for other clubs and interstate followers.

Also interested what "Live Friday night football" means to Perth viewers - 5.30 start is not practical, so I'd expect we'd still get it delayed. A 7 PM start would be nice

Channel 7 can keep showing it at 8.30 as far as I care. Hell, they can show it at midnight if they really want...

...provided I can see it live somewhere, be it 7Two, 7Mate or on Fox. If WC are playing at 5.30pm on a Friday I want to watch the game at 5.30pm.

FNF live on 7Two/7Mate and delayed at 8.30 on 7 is fine. FNF live on Fox and delayed on 7 is fine. FNF delayed on 7 only - that is the only unacceptable outcome.

Of to a good start so far. The first ad was last years with Lil' Gaz in a Geelong jumper and now they are showing a press conference (unannounced) of ANZAC Day !

Telstra and AFL.com.au right on the ball already

Remove this Banner Ad

TV rights deal to be announced at 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back