FTA-TV TV you miss from the past

Remove this Banner Ad

I miss having the serialized drama series that Australia used to make so well back in the 1990s and 2000s. Even if I wasn't a fan of a particular show due to it not being my thing the production standard was good and gave actors around Australia work. Now it's mostly all reality shows (varying degrees of awful) on FTA and a handful of shows with limited appeal to a wide audience on streaming, with increasingly fewer opportunities for young actors starting out.

As just one example, Samantha Barrett - a tall, pretty red-haired actress from Perth - was able to land the role of Chloe on Home and Away in late 2020, but her tenure on the show proved short and she departed after March 2022, since then vanishing into obscurity. Chances for a young actress like Sam Barrett for single episode roles to further her career were plentiful in decades past in shows like Blue Heelers, Water Rats, Stingers, Police Rescue, All Saints, Rescue Special Operations, City Homicide, Good Guys Bad Guys, Murder Call, Halifax FP, Packed to the Rafters or The Secret Life of Us among others. But now these shows are long gone with nothing to replace them, and it is a real shame.

Last edited:

I miss having the serialized drama series that Australia used to make so well back in the 1990s and 2000s. Even if I wasn't a fan of a particular show due to it not being my thing the production standard was good and gave actors around Australia work. Now it's mostly all reality shows (varying degrees of awful) on FTA and a handful of shows with limited appeal to a wide audience on streaming, with increasingly fewer opportunities for young actors starting out.

As just one example, Samantha Barrett - a tall, pretty red-haired actress from Perth - was able to land the role of Chloe on Home and Away in late 2020, but her tenure on the show proved short and she departed after March 2022, since then vanishing into obscurity. Chances for a young actress like Sam Barrett for single episode roles to further her career were plentiful in decades past in shows like Blue Heelers, Water Rats, Stingers, Police Rescue, All Saints, Rescue Special Operations, City Homicide, Good Guys Bad Guys, Murder Call, Halifax FP, Packed to the Rafters or The Secret Life of Us among others. But now these shows are long gone with nothing to replace them, and it is a real shame.

Quality crime shows like Janus

I miss the long-gone days of 1993-1994 where once a week I could scare myself stupid by watching 'The Extraordinary' by Warwick Moss. Although The Extraordinary was nowhere near as scary as some segments on 'Unsolved Mysteries' hosted by the late Robert Stack. Some of those stories still live in my mind along with the eerie theme music to Unsolved Mysteries, replaying in my imagination when the time comes to turn off the last light at night before bed...

Talking about Warwick Moss, a few years after 'The Extraordinary' he hosted a special documentary called 'The Most Haunted Town In Australia', which I watched one evening on an ordinary Tuesday where nothing remotely interesting or memorable had happened. Like the day I had had before, there was nothing extraordinary (pun intended) about this documentary centering around supernatural phenomena in the town of Kapunda, South Australia, about an hour and a half from Adelaide. I continued to watch TV as crime drama 'Stingers' came on, then came the first newsflash on the screen about a serious aviation incident in New York City where a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center ...

will happily watch iron chef, specifically japanese. the episodes are around if you look.
took itself very seriously but in a ridiculous way that cooking shows nowadays will never be able to replicate because they are far too weighty or emotional or always building or on a journey.
something like 'nailed it' comes close but the contestants are set up (and maybe encouraged) to fail. is also much funnier, for most of the early seasons.

have fond memories of 'love is a four letter word'. set in a pub that wants to resist pokies to keep live music. shenanigans between owner and partner/family, social issues. the music probably dates this away from present audiences.

My nieces and nephews enjoyed watching 'Saturday Disney' when they were younger, enjoying the Disney live action and cartoon shows, as well as the TV segments with the three hosts.

This type of television format - block programming - and its complete demise from the TV landscape in recent years shows just how much things have changed in a decade.

Imagine telling modern kids with all the modern streaming services available 24/7 that they could only watch their favorite TV shows on a certain day at a certain time and that a team of young adults in a studio would present it to them in a series of fun linking segments? It would be completely alien to them, like the world of the 1920s captured on film in grainy black and white and sepia footage.

Again, its a shame because lots of journalists, tv presenters and actors got their start as presenters on kids' television blocks.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV TV you miss from the past

Remove this Banner Ad

Back