FTA-TV TV you miss from the past

Remove this Banner Ad

The Goodies always made me laugh. I think that a lot of Australian mums raising kids from the late 1970s to the early 1990s are eternally grateful to the late Tim Brook Taylor, Graham Garden and Bill Odie for keeping their children occupied and out of the way, glued to the TV around 5.30 on weeknights while they were getting tea ready.

I remember watching the movie 'The Conjuring 2' about the Enfield Poltergeist set in 1977, and early on in the film daughter Janet Harper who was the center of this poltergeist haunting had been inexplicably getting sick a lot and was home from school watching The Goodies on TV. Even she was able to laugh at the show despite her poor health and that some strange things had started happening around the house ...

The Goodies always made me laugh. I think that a lot of Australian mums raising kids from the late 1970s to the early 1990s are eternally grateful to the late Tim Brook Taylor, Graham Garden and Bill Odie for keeping their children occupied and out of the way, glued to the TV around 5.30 on weeknights while they were getting tea ready.

I remember watching the movie 'The Conjuring 2' about the Enfield Poltergeist set in 1977, and early on in the film daughter Janet Harper who was the center of this poltergeist haunting had been inexplicably getting sick a lot and was home from school watching The Goodies on TV. Even she was able to laugh at the show despite her poor health and that some strange things had started happening around the house ...
In the UK it screened in the late evening, I believe, as it was not made with a kids' audience in mind.

Which explains why there were nude centrefolds on the walls of the guys' house.

The team were initially surprised to know that it was aired in a children's timeslot here and because of the childhood factor the nostalgia for the show is stronger in Australia than the UK.

The Goodies actually did a stand up tour in Oz before Tim passed, earlyish 2000s from memory. Myself & a group of friends all got tickets to the Melbourne show at the Entertainment Centre and a great, nostalgic night was had by all. The packed crowd were taken back to their childhood for a brief couple of hours and despite their age Tim, Graeme and Bill still had it.

Watching the AFL Grand Final last Saturday it made me miss the long-gone days of Channel 7 back in the 1990s when the day would start early in the morning with the Under 18's VSFL Grand Final, followed by the Reserves Grand Final, the pre-game entertainment and then of course the AFL Grand Final.

And the grand final marathon the night before

I miss the long-gone days of 1993-1994 where once a week I could scare myself stupid by watching 'The Extraordinary' by Warwick Moss. Although The Extraordinary was nowhere near as scary as some segments on 'Unsolved Mysteries' hosted by the late Robert Stack. Some of those stories still live in my mind along with the eerie theme music to Unsolved Mysteries, replaying in my imagination when the time comes to turn off the last light at night before bed...

Talking about Warwick Moss, a few years after 'The Extraordinary' he hosted a special documentary called 'The Most Haunted Town In Australia', which I watched one evening on an ordinary Tuesday where nothing remotely interesting or memorable had happened. Like the day I had had before, there was nothing extraordinary (pun intended) about this documentary centering around supernatural phenomena in the town of Kapunda, South Australia, about an hour and a half from Adelaide. I continued to watch TV as crime drama 'Stingers' came on, then came the first newsflash on the screen about a serious aviation incident in New York City where a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center ...

Even weirder, in the 2000s Warrick was Channel 10s version of Jamie Durie/Scott Cam. Had his own weekend lifestyle show "Bright Ideas". Fancy getting gardening or inner home decorating tips from him :p

I miss the long-gone days of 1993-1994 where once a week I could scare myself stupid by watching 'The Extraordinary' by Warwick Moss. Although The Extraordinary was nowhere near as scary as some segments on 'Unsolved Mysteries' hosted by the late Robert Stack. Some of those stories still live in my mind along with the eerie theme music to Unsolved Mysteries, replaying in my imagination when the time comes to turn off the last light at night before bed...

Talking about Warwick Moss, a few years after 'The Extraordinary' he hosted a special documentary called 'The Most Haunted Town In Australia', which I watched one evening on an ordinary Tuesday where nothing remotely interesting or memorable had happened. Like the day I had had before, there was nothing extraordinary (pun intended) about this documentary centering around supernatural phenomena in the town of Kapunda, South Australia, about an hour and a half from Adelaide. I continued to watch TV as crime drama 'Stingers' came on, then came the first newsflash on the screen about a serious aviation incident in New York City where a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center ...
Had Australia's most wanted along with it. Always creeped me out

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV TV you miss from the past

Remove this Banner Ad

Back