Twenty20 Big Bash Round 2: Victoria v New South Wales @ Melbourne (Sat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Centrals
2020bbjs6.gif

vicq.png
vs
nswsc1.png

Melbourne Cricket Ground
6:45pm Saturday January 2​

They meet again. After 3 meetings in 2009 all went in favour of the Blues on the way to the Champions League, the Vics get a home game to kick off 2010 in which to try and start to restore their position as the best in the country in this format. While New South Wales embarrased Victoria in Delhi, they won their final two games of last year's Big Bash with a combined total of two balls to spare. Both teams got off to a winning start in this year's competition despite good starts to their opponents' chases, Victoria won on the controversial Duckworth-Lewis method thanks to ridiculous playing conditions, while NSW got there thanks to David Warner who was on target to beat Andrew Symonds' 34-ball Twenty20 record for the fastest century before his opening partner ran him out.

Victoria have to replace Clint McKay as he'll remain with the national side until Sunday morning (cue the why didn't Smith get picked conspiracy theories), with James Pattinson taking his place ahead of Damien Wright. They'll also replace Ross Taylor with Aaron Finch, while Glenn Maxwell has been picked ahead of Jon Holland and Bryce McGain if they want an extra spinning option - Pattinson and Finch would be the most likely contenders to make room for him although they have to run out of patience with Quiney some time.

The Blues' 16 man squad presumably covers this game as well as the one in Tassie. They've named Lambert, O'Keefe and Keen in their 2nd XI but with a cloud over Aaron Bird one may be pulled out. The other options in that squad are batsman Usman Khawaja and forgotten all rounder Dominic Thornely, who does make a couple of appearances in the highlights of previous games below. They'd like Brett Lee around now, but without him Hazlewood and Starc will have to improve on their opening spells in Tassie where they conceded 10, 17, 11 and 12 before Henriques brought himself on and went for 22.

Victoria XII:
Rob Quiney
Brad Hodge
*Cameron White
David Hussey
Aaron Finch
Andrew McDonald
Dwayne Bravo
+Matthew Wade
Glenn Maxwell (domestic debut)
John Hastings
James Pattinson (T20 debut)
Dirk Nannes
In:
Finch

Out:
Ross Taylor (still haven't figured this out)
Clint McKay (Australia)

New South Wales XV[strike]I[/strike]:
David Warner
[strike]Phil Hughes[/strike]
Phil Jaques
Usman Khawaja
Ben Rohrer
*Moises Henriques
Dominic Thornely
Dwayne Smith
Steve Smith
+Daniel Smith
Steve O'Keefe
Grant Lambert
Simon Keen
Aaron Bird
Mitchell Starc
Josh Hazelwood
In:
Khawaja
Thornely
O'Keefe
Lambert
Keen
Out:
Hughes (Australia)

Weather:
Storms clearing by game time, 22 degrees

Session Times
First innings: 6:45-8pm
Second innings: 8:15-9:30pm

Last 2 Years
2009 Champions League Semi-Final @ Delhi
New South Wales won by 79 runs
New South Wales 7/169 (20)
Warner 48 (25)
Hughes 35 (28)
McKay 3/27 (4)
Victoria 9/90 (20)
Wade 23* (29)
Henriques 3/11 (3)
Lee 2/15 (4)

2008-09 Final @ Sydney
New South Wales won off the last ball
Victoria 4/166 (20)
Quiney 91 (56)
McDonald 30* (29)
Bird 3/21 (4)
New South Wales 5/167 (20)
Rohrer 45* (20)
Hughes 43 (32)
Harwood 2/28 (4)

2008-09 Round 5 @ Sydney
New South Wales won by 2 balls
New South Wales 8/128 (20)
Thornely 36 (36)
Katich 35 (36)
Nannes 4/11 (4)
Victoria 9/126 (20)
Finch 43 (46)
Bird 2/25 (4)
Cameron 1/17 (4)

2007-08 Round 3 @ Melbourne
Victoria won by 12 runs
Victoria 6/154 (20)
Hussey 70* (40)
Hodge 44 (41)
Bracken 2/20 (4)
New South Wales 8/142 (20)
Thornely 26 (20)
Hussey 2/20 (4)
McGain 2/36 (4)

Points Table:
New South Wales - 2
South Australia - 2
Victoria - 2
Queensland - 0
Western Australia - 0
Tasmania - 0

Coverage:
fs2bh3.png
live from 6:30pm AEDT
abc774melbourne.png
abc702sydney.png
grandstand.png
from 6:45pm AEDT (Windows Real)
Cricket Australia's scorecard
Cricinfo's scorecard

Tickets:
Adults - $10
Concession/Children - $5
Family - $25
(Gates open 3pm for Spirit v Roar curtain raiser)

Pumped for this game, hopefully Warner can get some consistency into him and smash the ball around again. Would like Khawaja to get a go but I'm not expecting us to make any changes.

NSW to win. Steve Smith MOTM

Andrew McDonald
Brad Hodge
*Cameron White
David Hussey
Dwayne Bravo
Aaron Finch
+Matthew Wade
Glenn Maxwell
John Hastings
James Pattinson
Dirk Nannes

IMO. Quiney will probably get a gig though, ahead of Maxwell

read this in the paper today:

If you catch a 6 from David Hussey, you win $500, and if you present a valid public transport ticket they'll double it to $1000. Catch a 6 off anyone else, you win $300, and if you present a valid public transport ticket they'll double it also.

This applies for both the Vic vs NSW game and the Vic vs Tassie game on the 15th.

Out:
Ross Taylor

:confused:

Taylor was a last minute replacement for Victoria's Pakistani import (whose name currently escapes me) who was injured & therefore unable to play. Unfortunately for the Bushrangers, Taylor is committed to 20/20 games for his team in NZ, but has stated he should be available for the semi final & final, should Victoria make it.

I'd have Chris Rogers there. I know the game doesn't suit him but I think he has enough ability to make up for it. He has averaged 39 @ a S/R of 89 in the FRC this season, a S/R superior to many quality aggressive FC bats.

His 140 against SA in the FRC this season was stunning and he has been batting more aggressively in the SS. I am not saying he is a T20 champ and should be playing for Australia, I am just saying he beats Rob Quiney. Rogers would score a lot quicker if he just closed his eyes and had a wide swing as well.

Our top order has struggled in both the T20 CL and now against Queensland. I would bring in Rogers and get Wade to open with. I like how Wade is able to hit from the get out, a massive advantage with the field only staying in for 4 overs. It gives the Vics heaps of depth with Hodge, White and Hussey to come in after that, as well as the deep batting line up with the all-rounders.

read this in the paper today:

If you catch a 6 from David Hussey, you win $500, and if you present a valid public transport ticket they'll double it to $1000. Catch a 6 off anyone else, you win $300, and if you present a valid public transport ticket they'll double it also.

This applies for both the Vic vs NSW game and the Vic vs Tassie game on the 15th.

Given Hussey's pretty poor recent form I'd say that $1000 is safe

Cue Hussey big score

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So like a current bus ticket for Tasmania? or don't they double?

Havent figured what out?
Why he was available the other day and Vettori wasn't when all the NZ teams were playing on the day, and Vettori's available in a few weeks when Taylor isn't (I'm assuming he isn't playing two nights in a row with a couple of flights to get from Invercargill to Sydney in between).

Why he was available the other day and Vettori wasn't when all the NZ teams were playing on the day, and Vettori's available in a few weeks when Taylor isn't (I'm assuming he isn't playing two nights in a row with a couple of flights to get from Invercargill to Sydney in between).
Is an interesting one no doubt, both must have agreed to a 1 game + finals deal to limit time away. I do read though Vettori is resting atm so that could be why he is coming later whilst Taylor may want to play more T20 so happy to miss a one dayer in a comp he probably wont play a game in all season

Does anybody know if the game is being streamed online?
Also, I know absolutely nothing about this maxwell bloke, can anybody enlighten me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Twenty20 Big Bash Round 2: Victoria v New South Wales @ Melbourne (Sat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back