Resource Two 2nd Tier AFL Venues for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

b91a4b9f1ff2031128d8c5525f9d677d.jpg

d1a662f8f0079ca52001d618f85522ae.jpg

I laugh at this now.

As McGowan said, no perimeter fencing allowing free access to WAFL games. Course that's now hit reality with East Fremantle asking " how the **** are we supposed to make any money from matchday if we can't charge people to get in"?

Judging by the comments on Facebook, a lot of East freo supporters just want them to bite the bullet and play out of Freo oval.

I laugh at this now.

As McGowan said, no perimeter fencing allowing free access to WAFL games. Course that's now hit reality with East Fremantle asking " how the **** are we supposed to make any money from matchday if we can't charge people to get in"?

Judging by the comments on Facebook, a lot of East freo supporters just want them to bite the bullet and play out of Freo oval.

So stopping the WAFL's ability to raise revenue at the same time paying for a NRL team.
The W.A. government spent $ millions on a rectangular stadium which is largely unused now.

I laugh at this now.

I remember kranger sugeesting they should ground share at Cockburn with the Dockers like Perth do with the Eagles. I wonder if that's better or worse for the fans than Freo Oval.

I remember kranger sugeesting they should ground share at Cockburn with the Dockers like Perth do with the Eagles. I wonder if that's better or worse for the fans than Freo Oval.

Fremantle Oval is a superb oval in many respects - capacity, location, heritage and character.
Fremantle Oval is in the literal heart of Fremantle.
Look up on a map where Cockburn Central is. It's miles from Fremantle.

Fremantle Oval is a superb oval in many respects - capacity, location, heritage and character.
Fremantle Oval is in the literal heart of Fremantle.
Look up on a map where Cockburn Central is. It's miles from Fremantle.

I still think there needs to be a WAFL team (either new or relocated) in the south eastern suburbs like Maddington, Gosnells, Kelmscott, Armadale, Byford and Canning Vale.

Co-locating at Cockburn with the Dockers would be a good ready to go facility. Though Gosnells Oval would be better to be located in the heart of the catchment area, whilst near a train station and a town centre. It could be similar to Bassendean Oval.

But back to South and East Freo, perhaps East Freo Oval could become the training ground for East Freo. Fremantle Oval becomes the game day ground for East Freo men’s League Team (which is the only team where the admission fee is required).

Which ever East Freo teams are fixtured to play on the same day as the men’s League team also plays at Freo Oval (I.e. Reserves, Colts, Womens, Junior Girls), and those that play on the other day of the weekend (when no charge is applied to their game) play at East Freo Oval.

Having two WAFL men’s team and the AFLW Dockers team playing at Freo Oval provides a lot of content to generate revenue for an upgraded stadium.

Having East Freo training and non League games at East Freo Oval eases up on the ground usage issues at Fremantle Oval that Leederville Oval experiences with both East Perth and Subiaco sharing it as a home.

Last edited:
I still think there needs to be a WAFL team (either new or relocated) in the south eastern suburbs like Maddington, Gosnells, Kelmscott, Armadale, Byford and Canning Vale.

Yes, and the reason there isn't because historically it was part of a strong second tier league.
Yes, Armidale deserve a WAFL team.
Co-locating at Cockburn with the Dockers would be a good ready to go facility.

No. Look at the mao and appreciate distances.

Though Gosnells Oval would be better to be located in the heart of the catchment area, whilst near a train station and a town centre. It could be similar to Bassendean Oval.

Exactly.

No. Look at the map and appreciate distances.
I appreciate the distances.

At the moment Byford is in the Perth catchment. Armadale and Roleystone (which are further east) are in the South Fremantle catchment. And Canning Vale is in the East Freo catchment. That is a long way for kids to travel on a school evening to get to WAFL Colts training.

Cockburn is atleast a lot closer than the grounds of the others clubs, and with the Dockers current undertaking upgrades to provide spectator facilities, would actually be ready to go.

Here is a map of the current catchments.

But it seems we both agree there should be something in the south eastern suburbs.

I appreciate the distances.

Yes, w.r.t. colts training
I'm talking w.r.t. WAFL games, attendances and where supporter bases live.

But it seems we both agree there should be something in the south eastern suburbs.

If fact I take it one step further.
If there is to be a WA3 then in the AFL it makes sense to identify with the East of Perth.
Crazy as it may seem Perth should be renamed Armidale and play at Armidale,
East Perth represent Perth and should play at the WACA.
Subiaco should represent Leederville.

New draft Master Plan released for Freo Oval. Out for consultation.

IMG_6444.png IMG_6443.png IMG_6445.png IMG_6446.jpeg

East Fremantle Oval is an absolute pisstake, the council is basically a bunch of school P&C mums. they've ripped every last bit of soul out the venue and now have no anchor tenant.

How East Fremantle Council still exists is nuts. last I heard their staff were split over about three different buildings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Two 2nd Tier AFL Venues for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back