Club Legend
Oct 26, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
After seeing this in an article today:

The AFL, buoyed by this week's larger-than-anticipated broadcast rights deal with News Ltd, has re-directed part of the Roos' next dividend payment to guarantee the debt.

It took my mind back to the Dyson Hore-Lacy book.

Weren't Fitzroy told that the dividend couldn't be used to guarantee a debt (or something along those lines), as the AFL couldn't guarantee the dividend?

It wouldn't surprise me. Nothing against the Roos, but if its true - I just think the same rules should apply across the board. Oh, silly me, I forgot its the AFL we're talking about!

Can anyone enlighten me on this topic?

I am not sure of the exact words, but I think that's about right. Seems the AFL had a whole different set of rules for Fitzroy.
frown.gif

Normally you can't shut them up. But, Cik kym, Rooboy are very select in what they reply or start aern't they?

Why should the AFL pay Norff what they should be paying.

Things have changed a hell of a lot in the short years since Fitzroy's unfortunate demise, the newly negotiated TV rights is a guarantee for ALL 16 clubs for the next 5 years. Don't forget that this isn't a grant to North as it will come off the funds allocation that ALL teams will get early next year as a result of the TV rights deal. To some of you,well, your breathtaking ignorance is only exceeded by your breathtaking stupidity. Perhaps if you bothered to read beyond the headlines you'd learn something.

Denno - no need to enlighten you, you hit the nail on the head when you said "I forgot it's the AFL we're talking about."

Fitzroy could have & should have been helped.

Groucho - calm down !!!!!

Look the whole episode is that the the press is saying, via whatever medium you chose to watch/hear/read - that North are going to benefit via an agreement that was said to be 'invalid' (for the sake of arguement) for Fitzroy.

Gotta take into account the AFL is under different leadership here. And that apparently the broadcast rights issue is enveloped in a contract that specifies a 16 team comp.

There were no such reasons or contracts at the time of the demise of Fitzroy, and there was definately a different 'head' to the AFL at that time. And if what we now read is to be believed, then no contract such as this new one would have been made to keep a certain number of teams in the comp.

It has been made quite clear that it seems like the AFL was ready to get rid of Fitzroy as a single club/football entity.

There has to date been no such mention of North going down the same trail, from the powers that be.

I believe everyone is missing the point regarding the 16 team guarantee.

It states there has to be 16 teams, it DOES NOT state which 16 teams.

Therefore if a club falls over the AFL can let it happen, just as long as they have a replacement club ready to fill the breach

------------------
Chris

Hey Groucho, me, ignorant? All I did was ask a question for god sake. All I can go by is what I read, etc, thru the media. There seemed to be parallels between the situations (re. dividend), but they seemed to have been treated differently. The AFL has given out a dividend EVERY single year, why would it suddenly stop in '96? Horses for courses............

Fitzroy were holding up the inclusion of Port. Port have a far bigger supporter base than Fitzroy ever had and a tradition that deserved preserving.
By the way I've hated Port Adelaide for 30 years.
The current deal with the networks and philosophy at the AFL is to preserve the 16 licenses.....and currently that means the 16 teams as they stand - although I think the WCE CEO was spot on when he said send North to Homebush. I spoke with a mate who went to the Olympics and he also thought the AFL would succeed very well if they went all out and relocated a team to Stadium Australia. The reason the kangroos have struggled in Sydney is that Sydneysiders don't think they're committed to Sydney and see them as just a Victorian team playing north of the Murray for sponsorship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy should have been helped? To what extent? The AFL was quite capable of giving them, say, $3 million to keep them going for a couple of years. Then what do you do after that's all gone and they need more money/ Keep the tap flowing? What about every other club that gets into some financial shit? WHat would happen is that clubs would just spend like it's their last day on earth, knowing full well that any debts would be covered by the AFL.
Despite the emotional drivel spouted by people that are ignorant of reality, it is just not common sense to prop up any struggling club that is incapable of paying it's debts, because firstly, the same situation is more than likely to occur down the track, and it encourages gross incompetence at the management level of other clubs. In the end every club suffers, and the game in general suffers as a result.

And please people, don't anyone waste their time by bringing up the Swans. It's a tired argument, and if anyone seriously compares Fitzroy to Sydney then they need their brain examined. How about putting yourselves at the head of the AFL and ask yourself what you would do.

Originally posted by Peter P:
Fitzroy were holding up the inclusion of Port. Port have a far bigger supporter base than Fitzroy ever had and a tradition that deserved preserving.
The current deal with the networks and philosophy at the AFL is to preserve the 16 licenses.....and currently that means the 16 teams as they stand - although I think the WCE CEO was spot on when he said send North to Homebush. I spoke with a mate who went to the Olympics and he also thought the AFL would succeed very well if they went all out and relocated a team to Stadium Australia. The reason the kangroos have struggled in Sydney is that Sydneysiders don't think they're committed to Sydney and see them as just a Victorian team playing north of the Murray for sponsorship.

Originally posted by Peter P:

You and 900,000 other South Australians !!

I heard Dyson Hore Lacy talk in depth on Adelaide radio Today.....He was right about Fitzroy....Poor bastards...for the first time ever I feel sorry for them..

but not at the expense of Port Adelaide.

Dyson skirted the issues of Fitzroy being a pov. club, he talked about the lack of all things the club had in relation to facilities , finance, supporters,etc....

tell me Fitzroy supporters how on earth you hoped the club would survive, when there were clubs like Port and Norwood with five fold the assets, strong tradition,cash, and innovative management knocking on the AFL's door ?

Fitzroy had no hope against aclub like Port.....

those arent fighting words nor meant to insight bitter responses... Dyson Hore-Lacy said " the AFL required a mix of clubs that were in the AFL's best interests and they got them with Port ".

I'd love to see a fitzroy team back in the AFL...

Fitzroy at AFL level is DEAD. however, except as Brisbane.

reply please

PA1870

As sad as it was for Fitzroy, the situation had got to the farcical stage. Nauru government, embarrasing on field performances and crowds, suppossed white knights with interest free loans etc. The club had been slowly dying for 20 years and I think even the supporters were tired of fighting. The big difference with North is that their re-directed dividend is only weeks before it is due. I distinctly remember Fitzroy requesting their dividend be paid before the season began and using it as guarantees for even more loans. Enough was enough. I am not a Fitzroy basher but clubs have to pay their way - the lions situation was then having a very real impact on the whole competition.

Woofer,
You are quite correct. It only dragged on as long as it did, because Dyson Hore-Lacy enjoyed the limelight so much. He has been dining out on it ever since too. What an ego trip !!
I was a Fitzroy member and I tipped money into the club too, but it was obvious to me in 1991 that they were stuffed. I went overseas for two years and when I came back they were worse. The writing was on the wall, so that's when I started folowing North
in late 1993.
Fitzroy was a proud club with a lot of good people associated with it, but financially, it was a basket case.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

Carey_is_King showed his rodentesque vessel-evacuating qualities by confessing:
I was a Fitzroy member and I tipped money into the club too, but it was obvious to me in 1991 that they were stuffed. I went overseas for two years and when I came back they were worse. The writing was on the wall, so that's when I started folowing North
in late 1993.

When, coincidentally, they were on top of the ladder!
rolleyes.gif

And what will you do if North find themselves looking down the barrel? Hope for third time lucky??

[This message has been edited by Mr Ripper (edited 26 December 2000).]

Well Said Mr Ripper.

So called supporters who are happy to jump ship when times are tough, are the beginning to the end of any club, be it at the AFL level or all the way down to a small country local league.

Originally posted by Danni:
Well Said Mr Ripper.

So called supporters who are happy to jump ship when times are tough, are the beginning to the end of any club, be it at the AFL level or all the way down to a small country local league.

Well, Well, Well !!!!!

Now you know why Port supporters are despised by The New composite club supporters the Crows....

We never abandoned the fight, we supported Port in every circumstance, we were not going to let them rot in what was to become a second rank sideshow...the SANFL...

Most of the Glenelg, Norwood, South Adelaide, Sturt, North Adelaide, Central Districts, West Adelaide, Woodville, West Torrens supporters abandoned their, in some cases mighty clubs, when news was around that a New traditionless, unamed uncolored, car branded club would be manufactured to represent South Australias interest in the new AFL....

Port supporters were not going to let 130 years of South Australian Football tradition be 'shat' upon by the SANFL...we were going to admit a former SANFL club into the AFL.

The Port Adelaide Football Club and its supporters lambasted the rodents that fled their SANFL clubs to join the new piece of "DEVON' ( Fritz ) i.e. all shiny bright and well marketed on the outside, but full of all the SANFL supporters offal on the inside.

and it was sad to see Port supporters turn up in their thousands to SANFL games , Post Crows , only to find virtually NO opposition supporters at the games...
all were either at home watching DEVON ( Fritz ) play or at their games.

I can see 45,00 rodenesque individuals following the crows each week.

PA1870

Originally posted by Mr Ripper:
When, coincidentally, they were on top of the ladder!
rolleyes.gif

And what will you do if North find themselves looking down the barrel? Hope for third time lucky??

[This message has been edited by Mr Ripper (edited 26 December 2000).]
your a legend Mr Ripper you got that dickhead worked out.

Well CIK, you state you used to support the Fitzroy Lions, but left them and started to support Nth. Melb in 1993, this makes you part of the reprehensible segment associated with football, a mob proliferated with wannabes.
You are just another dummy spitting, coat tail riding, band wagon jumping opportunist, who confuses club success with personal achievement. Success by association is lusted after by wannabes, it is their "drug" of choice, so when you can no longer get your "fix" from Nth Melb you'll jump ship to that days successful club.
I just hope you choose a sport other than Aussie Rules Football, we do not need you, footy clubs do not need you.
Traitors to an allegiance make me sick.

------------------
Chris

Originally posted by Carey_is_King:
Woofer,
in late 1993.

[/QUOTE

That's it Carey!! what a weak Bastard. I wouldn't care if Essendon were bottom ten years running. I wouldn't be happy BUT I would not give up!! WEAK!!!!!!!!
And you got the gall to call Hird soft hahahahahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Two sets of rules??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back