On the Couch question - Would you rather have two elite key forwards or key backs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the numbers would be similar as to those going back or forward, there have been a few successes both ways, I think you're under estimating the skills required as a backman when you say those players could go back and be top level in 3 or 4 games, as a backman you stand under a lot of packs, as a forward you are that pack.

Can you name any that struggled as back then flourished when moved forward?

If the rest of your team is crap, might aswell have elite KPF's as no matter how good defenders are, when the ball comes in under little pressure, its easy goals usually.

If you are in the window, as proven recently by Dees and Pies, you want the KPD's

Can you name any that struggled as back then flourished when moved forward?
Im not sure a struggling back is going to improve moving forward but plenty of decent backs have moved forward and succeeded, no doubt small forwards move back often and succeed I cant think of many big forwards moving back off the top of my head, Im sure there are a few?

Im not sure a struggling back is going to improve moving forward but plenty of decent backs have moved forward and succeeded, no doubt small forwards move back often and succeed I cant think of many big forwards moving back off the top of my head, Im sure there are a few?

Ben Reid, Michael Hurley, James Sicily, Liam Jones, Darcy Moore, Mitch McGovern, Josh Battle, Patrick McCartin and Esava Ratugolea were all average forwards before moving to defence and that’s just off the top of my head.

The McKay twins are a good example of this question. Ben is playing like a top 5 KPD in the comp and Harry is playing like a top 5 KPF assuming their form holds is anyone taking Ben over Harry? I don’t think so

Good D is so good tho.
Defence that is, very important in modern football.

Collingwood, Dees, two recent premiers with average KPF. Nice small and not so smalls fwiw tho: Kozzie, Hill, Elliot, Fritsch.

I get that sides can win flags with adequate forwards and strong defences/midfields BUT...to win more flags you need KPF's it just makes life so much easier.

Geelong under Malcolm Blight had 2 elite forwards - Ablett and Brownless (3 if you included Stoneham), but couldn’t win a premiership because its defence was average.

Under Bomber Thompson Cats had 2 elite back men - Scarlett & Egan / Taylor, and a forward line led by Cam Mooney. Won 2 premierships.

Therefore - key backs are the key IMO

Geelong under Malcom Blight also had to play GUN teams who had MORE elite forwards (Brereton, Dunstall, Curran...) whilst Geelong under Bomber beat who??? Port, StKilda (who were the epitome of a defensive side) and a beaten up Pies outfit in 2011. GUN key forwards win games

Carlton have two Coleman medalists and they haven't got past the prelim.
Dees won a flag with Thomas MacDonald and Ben Brown...

Chris Tarrant went OK.

Carlton have two Coleman medalists and they haven't got past the prelim.

Playing a losing PF to Brisbane at the "Gabbatoir" (as it was in 2023) is no real measure. Also Brissy have a couple of fairly athletic if somewhat flakey key forwards themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite KPFs are harder to find IMO.

Easier to find a solid KPD and make it work if you've got absolute stars up forward.
I reckon the opposite.

I agree that elite key forwards seem to be harder to find - but in modern AFL footy unfortunately good defence beats good offence.

Historically it seems that more premiership teams have 'good' key forwards, rather than superstars. Workhorses, consistent, don't get outmarked sort of guys.

If the rest of your team is crap, might aswell have elite KPF's as no matter how good defenders are, when the ball comes in under little pressure, its easy goals usually.

If you are in the window, as proven recently by Dees and Pies, you want the KPD's

If your team is crap then the KPD will get way way more involved in the play than KPF.

Forwards easily. Not going to win without putting a score on the board. It's much easier to develop a player into a key back. One of my teams best ever (Scarlett) was a forward in his junior days. There are a lot of stories like that. Not as much the other way around. A gun forward is more natural instinct.

KPF's for me. I always think KPD's are just failed forwards (being a little facetious). Moore and Reid were both tried as forwards at the start of their careers and ended up AA KPD's.

I think KPD's are vitally important but they can be manufactured to a point. Howe is a good example.

Having a Buddy, Hawkins, Cloke (in his day), Reiwoldt was vital to those premiership teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Couch question - Would you rather have two elite key forwards or key backs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back