On the Couch question - Would you rather have two elite key forwards or key backs?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you can get away with just one elite KPF (and an above average small forward), but if you don't have two elite KPDs then it is very hard to win big finals, regardless of how good the midfield is.

I'm going to take a big breath , right, there are no elite forwards in the AFL currently. No lockets, abletts, Dunstalls, Carey's, Kernahans, Loewes, quinlans , Lloyd's, there's nothing. The cupboard is bare. If we had the choice of any 2 of those, then that's what I would go with. Not the forwards that parade around in today's game.

I'm going to take a big breath , right, there are no elite forwards in the AFL currently. No lockets, abletts, Dunstalls, Carey's, Kernahans, Loewes, quinlans , Lloyd's, there's nothing. The cupboard is bare. If we had the choice of any 2 of those, then that's what I would go with. Not the forwards that parade around in today's game.
Franklin doesn’t rate in this list? Also, Hawkins ranks above Kernahan and Carey for most goals kicked.

Franklin doesn’t rate in this list? Also, Hawkins ranks above Kernahan and Carey for most goals kicked.
Listen, I missed a few. Sorry.
No, I wouldn't pick Hawkins above Carey or Kernahan but I'm old school. Kernahan played 100 less games for 50 less goals so your "ranking" is probably not really justified either.Just my opinion nothing else

Last edited:
Listen, I missed a few. Sorry.
No, I wouldn't pick Hawkins above Carey or Kernahan but I'm old school. Kernahan played 100 less games for 50 less goals so your "ranking" is probably not really justified either.Just my opinion nothing else
Big bags were easier to come by in that era of the game when it was played man on man and it’s remarkable that Franklin achieved what he did in the modern era.

And they also played in lot worse conditions and not under a roof either with no wind
100% agree. Starting to get off track now but my simple question is, do you think we will ever see Dunstall like bags again? With flooding, super flooding, NFL like coaching & staff rosters, players with elite speed & fitness, perfect grounds etc, I just don’t ever see it happening again. So it makes what Franklin did pretty special and I don’t think Hawkins has done too badly either.

100% agree. Starting to get off track now but my simple question is, do you think we will ever see Dunstall like bags again? With flooding, super flooding, NFL like coaching & staff rosters, players with elite speed & fitness, perfect grounds etc, I just don’t ever see it happening again. So it makes what Franklin did pretty special and I don’t think Hawkins has done too badly either.
Game plans have always been developed around the best players . 100 goal per year players will happen again when those special players come along and coaches change tactics on moving the ball forward. Nothing surer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game plans have always been developed around the best players . 100 goal per year players will happen again when those special players come along and coaches change tactics on moving the ball forward. Nothing surer
Hmmm, hope your right!

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Couch question - Would you rather have two elite key forwards or key backs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back