U18 Championships Final Day - Skilled Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know the All Australian team?
I heard this morning, before the games were played, that the team probably won't be announced until at least tomorrow, as the selectors have to get together and take the last round of games into account too.

Probably announced officially on Friday.

Glad to hear Harper had another good outing, was a solid player down in SA a few weekends ago, and certainly looks to have a lot of AFL qualities.

Where do most see Watson going at this stage? He's already a fairly solid kid, which may mean he has less 'upside' according to some - but gee, he was very good when I saw him and by the sounds, was just as impressive today.

Going to be a fairly strong draft I think.

OK, back from the game.

Caddy is a bull. Literally, he has horns and it isn't fair on this age group.

Polec impressed and I was happy/sad that Harper is no longer a nice little secret. (not much of one, but wasn't getting much love)

I have my notes on draftable mids and have my memories of the talls if anyone wishes to get any ideas on players from a ground perspective.

Two great games btw.

OK, back from the game.

Caddy is a bull. Literally, he has horns and it isn't fair on this age group.

Polec impressed and I was happy/sad that Harper is no longer a nice little secret. (not much of one, but wasn't getting much love)

I have my notes on draftable mids and have my memories of the talls if anyone wishes to get any ideas on players from a ground perspective.

Two great games btw.

How did These Players:

• Lucas Cook
  • James Solly
  • Zac Fitzgerald
  • Scott LYCETT
  • John Ceglar
  • Tom Lynch
  • Leif Cope
  • Warrick Andreoli
  • Joel O'Driscoll

One thing I noticed about these kids is they go for the ball one handed a lot, but they all go back with the flight.

How did These Players:

• Lucas Cook Not very good, though not a day for him.
  • James Solly Solid when near it, like the way he moves for a big lad.
  • Zac Fitzgerald Didn't pay much attention to Zac
  • Scott LYCETT Pitty he has to share time with Gorringe, they're the best 2 rucks in the U18s.
  • John Ceglar Again, wasn't paying much attention the the Country Rucks.
  • Tom Lynch I'm not going to be a ton of help on the bigs mate, sorry. Will let you know after I've seen the tele.
  • Leif Cope As above
  • Warrick Andreoli Really like the way this kid moves. Copped a knee late unfortunately. Really smove, smart and quick. Needs a bit of hardness and is a 97% outside player.
  • Joel O'Driscoll Didn't have as good a day as last Saturday. His decision making at times bugged me. Is probably going to have to carve a niche as a FP or atleast show he has that capacity.
As above, Won't be much help on the talls, though there is a ton of tall talent, I'm keen on mids this year.
It's a shame Treloar is underage. He's a great prospect would love it if he was in the mix as well. GWS bound for sure.
Ooooh yes. May as well be wearing GWS strip now. Just needs to polish his kick and tighten his decision.

As above, Won't be much help on the talls, though there is a ton of tall talent, I'm keen on mids this year.

Ooooh yes. May as well be wearing GWS strip now. Just needs to polish his kick and tighten his decision.

Will Check these Guys on Video when I get the Games on Video

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was disappointed with Lamb's field kicking today I think there just trying to force something that isn't there by playing him on the wing.

Conca and Fasolo had solid games as well for WA.

How did These Players:

• Lucas Cook - Did a few nice things without really getting involved
  • James Solly - Had a fair day, good mobility, uses it well
  • Zac Fitzgerald - had a couple of very nice goal assists when the game was on the line
  • Scott LYCETT - he and Gorringe are the best rucks in it. Not a huge influence today, but still looks the goods.
  • John Ceglar - didn't really get near it, and when he did wasn't hugely effective.
  • Tom Lynch - great skills and mobility for a big man, kicked a pearler of a goal late in the last to give Vic C a sniff.
  • Leif Cope - not a huge day.
  • Warrick Andreoli - knows how to find space and uses it well. Had a good afternoon until injured
  • Joel O'Driscoll - Liked his work in traffic.

My thoughts.

Shifters 15 players to look out for

1. David Swallow
2. Harley Bennell
3. Sam Day
4. Daniel Gorringe
5. Scott Lycett
6. Andrew Gaff
7. Jared Polec
8. Kieran Harper
9. Lucas Cook
10. Jack Darling
11. Shaun Atley
12. Patrick McCarthy
13. Luke Parker
14. Blayne Wilson
15. Jayden Pitt

Harley Bennell won the larke medal.

Haven't been all that impressed with him.

Has moobies too ;)

I was disappointed with Lamb's field kicking today I think there just trying to force something that isn't there by playing him on the wing.

Conca and Fasolo had solid games as well for WA.
Lamb stood out for me as 'ready for AFL', still lots of skinny kids but Bastinac broke through the glass cieling this year, so its possible a lot of these kids will all make the step, exciting times ahead, Sam Day could be anything.
Another thing I try and do is compare the different footy styles, Vic generally produce engine room onballers, and classy big guys who can kick goals.
SA always produce something special and this year its probably Day although they have some real classy kids too.
WA seem to produce a new prototype player and this year it could be Bennell, looks like Wells with attitude.

Amazed these games aren't mainstream, watching this stuff is like watching some underground afl league, get it on the networks ya bums.

Had a bit of a look at what was on offer at Skilled Stadium today. A couple of players stood out to me. I didn't look at the stats, so these are just my thoughts.

Kieran Harper (Metro) played a good game, has a nice side step and takes on the opposition. Has a bit of mongrel about him. Layed a nice bump on a WA opponent and flattened him. Good around stoppages and good overhead. One of the best IMO.

Luke Parker (VC) the best I saw today. This guy can do everything. Strong overhead mark, great midfielder. Attacks the ball really hard and has good run and carry. Seems to find the ball a lot, his teammates look for him. Will certainly go early. Found the slippery conditions tough, later in the day, but is definitely an AFL player.

Jed Lamb
(VC) wore yellow boots. Really impressed how hard at it he was. Always made a good contest. Plays a lot taller than his height suggests. Could really hear the 'slap' as he gave a few fleshy whacks. (all legal)

Luke Dahlhaus
(VC) Has a lot of 'go' about him. Can spot his afro style hair a mile away, but is really short. Bobbed up with a few important possessions. A lot to like about the way he goes about things.

Shaun Atley (VC) has great endurance and good pace. Was in and around everything.

Jack Darling
(WA) much bigger than his metro opponent. Can take a nice timed mark, does rely on his size to get the job done. Think young Tom Hawkins.

I don't pretend to be anyone in the know and haven't really followed these guys before today. Hope someone enjoyed the read, I know my opinion is a bit different to what others saw on TV. Cheers.

Amazed these games aren't mainstream, watching this stuff is like watching some underground afl league, get it on the networks ya bums.
It is annoying that our "feeder" leagues and championships aren't given the press and attention they deserve, although maybe that will grow with time also.

Also, did anyone know the Draft Camp has been changed to the Draft "Combine", just thought it was so "American", although that's not always a bad thing.

Be Interesting to see what the 1st Rounds Mocks would look like now

First round of the draft will be harder to predict for 2 reasons

1) GC has nine selections - will take a variety of players
2) First round goes down to pick 25 - often surprises after pick 15.

Remove this Banner Ad

U18 Championships Final Day - Skilled Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back