U18s 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kew are deffinitely a solid team.. One kid must be sam mitchells younger brother, not i tac because of size, but god Jordy Henman is an absolute star will be very suprised if he isnt drafted in the next 4 years..

Football program at Box Hill SSC is made up of U16, 17 and 18's who are, mostly, at a level just below TAC Cup squads. Basically the program is for the players' development/combining school with football training, not because they're dreaming of AFL drafts.

They train hard, are well coached and all stick to team rules and structures. If you've watched them (not sure if you have) you'll see that.

Just thought I'd clear it up for everyone, Kew Giants are not a team of AFL hopefuls.

this is awkward, my mate went to box hill so he could increase his chances of getting drafted due to extra training loads... also not in TAC because of size? lots of smaller kids are in TAC squads so don't excuse.. bit of a head wobble buddy

got some talented footballers kew, what good is it playing in this comp full of local guys just having a kick with there mates and some ordinary sides.. dont see its gonna do you any good, maybe you should've worked harder at your TAC club and if that was the easiest 100 point win you've been apart of champ love to see what happens when you step up next year to 19s with the big boys.. any decent kid at this level would be playing seniors
xoxo

this is awkward, my mate went to box hill so he could increase his chances of getting drafted due to extra training loads... also not in TAC because of size? lots of smaller kids are in TAC squads so don't excuse.. bit of a head wobble buddy

Will you name names or? You obviously have no idea about the team or the Box Hill program

got some talented footballers kew, what good is it playing in this comp full of local guys just having a kick with there mates and some ordinary sides.. dont see its gonna do you any good, maybe you should've worked harder at your TAC club and if that was the easiest 100 point win you've been apart of champ love to see what happens when you step up next year to 19s with the big boys.. any decent kid at this level would be playing seniors
xoxo

Wingman09 I think it's time to pipe down. You clearly don't know much about the Kew team, the program, or the VAFA if you think its a 'comp full a local guys just having a kick with there mates'. With A Grade Senior clubs like St Bernards and Colllegians fielding sides in the 18s it's a bit more than just that. If 18s players from all clubs go on and play VAFA 19s next year that would be great - every year VAFA 19s players catch the eyes of VFL recruiters and even AFL clubs

what I mean is that majority of the players play at there local team at this age group, i know kew has players from suburbs all over melbourne, of course this aint the case for the whole of vafa.. this is the under 18's board by the way

Wingman09 I think it's time to pipe down. You clearly don't know much about the Kew team, the program, or the VAFA if you think its a 'comp full a local guys just having a kick with there mates'. With A Grade Senior clubs like St Bernards and Colllegians fielding sides in the 18s it's a bit more than just that. If 18s players from all clubs go on and play VAFA 19s next year that would be great - every year VAFA 19s players catch the eyes of VFL recruiters and even AFL clubs

In regards to Collegians U18's it is literally just that, a bunch of kids running around having a kick. Only made possible because South Melbourne Districts U19's couldn't field a side this year and a number of them flowed over to Collegians who are virtually next door, and between them they were able to scrape together an U18 team, to ensure everyone still got a kick on the weekend.

xoxo

Could not of put this any better Wingman! if i was one of these kids or even a parent, i would not be happy about being convinced to move from our junior club to play U18s vafa footy, to supposedly improve our football but end up with 100points wins every week.... I Promise you that most of these kids think they are still a sniff to be drafted and any chance they had has gone out of the window because noone gives a shit if your dominating U18s amos. These kids should all be playing U19s premier or Div 1 19s/colts in their local leagues.

Well Done Kew for luring them down with their coach but shame on the Vafa and BHSSC for making this mistake.

The difference being those 2 ‘A’ grade clubs also field 2 X U19 as well as U18s. So as far as underage teams go the team that plays in the 18s comp is their 3rds! The stronger clubs in the VAFA (Xavs, De La etc) don’t bother with U18s and prefer to enter 2 x U19 teams, as the competition is much better. Many of the better U19 teams, even in Premier grade, have a high proportion of kids eligible for U18s but they choose to play at the highest standard they can.

The 18s is a much lesser standard. It suits some clubs but if Kew is as red hot as what everyone is saying then they really should have entered a U19s team. As this is Kew’s first year we will assume they were unaware of how much they would dominate BUT, if they entered a team knowing they would be this strong then shame on them. Will do nothing for the development of the players. Having seen the writing on the wall early they could have and should have asked to go an play in say 3rd div U19s.

Jimmyjack... Firstly, you say that 'the stronger clubs in the VAFA (Xavs, De La etc) don’t bother with U18s and prefer to enter 2 x U19 teams, as the competition is much better'.. thats not true. Teams like Old Xavs, Old Scotch etc don't field 18s because they have strong school systems where these kids (that would be eligible for under 18s) play competitive schoolboy footy (APS Comp) - and then in there first few years out of school they play 19s. As for the Kew 18s, I think its great for their development as they can play with there mates in the 18s against kids there age, and the better ones can step up and play for Kew (seniors) occasionally. Also,I can confirm it is there first year so they didn't have much of an idea about the standard.

Jimmyjack... Firstly, you say that 'the stronger clubs in the VAFA (Xavs, De La etc) don’t bother with U18s and prefer to enter 2 x U19 teams, as the competition is much better'.. thats not true. Teams like Old Xavs, Old Scotch etc don't field 18s because they have strong school systems where these kids (that would be eligible for under 18s) play competitive schoolboy footy (APS Comp) - and then in there first few years out of school they play 19s. As for the Kew 18s, I think its great for their development as they can play with there mates in the 18s against kids there age, and the better ones can step up and play for Kew (seniors) occasionally. Also,I can confirm it is there first year so they didn't have much of an idea about the standard.

I think you will find that St Bedes, De La, Beauy and even the APS schools (Xavs and Scotch) all have enough u/18 players to field an u/18 side. I know at Mazenod, 3/4 of our team are bottom age.
Jimmyjack is right, most clubs choose u/19s over u/18's as the standard of competition across the board is much higher.

Richo. I get it that you want to defend your team and club. No drama and respect that but some of us have been around the VAFA for a very long time and have a very good understanding of the competition. I even remember when Kew where an ‘A’ grade club and had strong U19s. (70s & 80s)

De La Salle has played in the last seven U19 Premier GF’s for 5 flags. They don’t play APS sport on Saturday. The could have and were actually encouraged by the VAFA when the 18s comp kicked off to enter U18s as their second side but chose not to due to the poor standard. St Bedes - No APS sport – ‘A’ grade club with 2 x U19s. Ditto Beaumaris - ‘A’ grade club 2 x U19s. St Bernard no APS football to worry about. ‘A’ grade club whose preference is to play 2 X U19 teams above their U18s. Even Parkdale. ‘B’ grade club and the first time ever they have 2 underage teams and went with 2 X 19s rather than an U18 team. Some of the aforementioned clubs have dabbled with U18s in the past and ditched it due to the poor standard and lack of competition. As GN mentioned Xavs could easily fill a team of U18s but choose not to. Reason being they are trying to develop players for ‘A’ grade. Not D3.

I am not knocking the 18s comp. Not all clubs can play in A & B grade – that’s why we have 7 divisions and 3 divisions of Club 18. Football is for all levels. The 18s is a great initiative that suits some clubs and is perfect for clubs trying to establish a junior feeder but please don’t tell me that it is of a high standard because it is not.

If these blokes were fair dinkum about developing and had some dash they would not be playing U18s for a club with D3 seniors. Being flat track bullies will do nothing for them.

not defending kew anyway but could the reason they field a 18's squad have something to do with the kids have come from a 16's grade? i know us (uhs-vu) have an 18's because our juniors (flemington jfc) finish at 16's as do st bernards, werribee, point cook, willy cyms & maybe rich cent, yes bernies werribee & willy have 19's as well but they have massive junior clubs with a team in every grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not defending kew anyway but could the reason they field a 18's squad have something to do with the kids have come from a 16's grade? i know us (uhs-vu) have an 18's because our juniors (flemington jfc) finish at 16's as do st bernards, werribee, point cook, willy cyms & maybe rich cent, yes bernies werribee & willy have 19's as well but they have massive junior clubs with a team in every grade.

this is true, I know most of richmond centrals come from the richmond junior footy club after they finish there u/17 year in the YJFL.. then the other half are mates who just finished school last year wanting to run around with the fellas.. the 18s teams are actually competitive in my opinion in the way that most teams are at around an even standard but some obviously being a little better than others but other than kew its kind of even where anyone can win on there day from what i've seen which is what you want in a comp

I know for a fact winning by 100 points every week does absolutely nothing for your footballing ability.. so if bhssc thought this was a great idea for there 'football development program' then I'm glad I never went there!

Kew are a well drilled side, very disciplined and extremely respectful. We had them in round 1 and we got absolutely flogged. We (St Mary's) started very very slow because as was said earlier, we were 5 different groups from 5 different schools just joining a team to have a kick. But since then we have become a team and a great bunch of mates. If Kew were not in our league, the competition would be dead even. All teams except on there day can beat anyone. I'm going to see the premiers as whoever takes on kew in the grand final, because no one will beat them.

To the morons that believe the Kew team is made up of kids who think "they are still a sniff to be drafted and any chance they had has gone out of the window because noone gives a shit if your dominating U18s amos", you have absolutely no idea and should perhaps become more informed before you make rubbish comments on this forum. The team is from BHSSC, with 1 or 2 extras who've come from Kew Juniors, and chose to create a Saturday team to coincide with their school training so that students had more opportunity to play with each other, not against each other in Under 17's or 19's EFL/NFL etc, not to simply try and dominate a competition.

The team is made up of majority (i.e. 80%+) players who could still be playing Under 17's football. In fact I think only 5 or 6 are actually 18 this year. Do you think at the start of the year we knew what the competition would be like? Do you think we thought it would be a good idea to put a team of 16 year olds, most of them turning 17 at some stage this year, into an Under 19's competition? Hindsight is a wonderful thing and, in hindsight, Kew should've been put into a higher comp. This will be rectified next year.

To say that the players aren't developing is another terrible comment. Every single player in the team has improved in some way thanks to the coaching and management, as well as being surrounded by good players just wanting to play good footy. More than 10 players have been given the opportunity to play 1's, and, whilst Division 3 obviously isn't as good as Premier, or Div 1 EFL/NFL, it's still a great experience for 16/17/18 year olds.

A lot of snarly and jealous poster it would seem. You're making yourselves and your clubs look bad. Kudos to those that have some level of understanding :thumbsu:

Well said Workhorse.

Even though Kew smashed us to bits, they were not up themselves and extremely respectful. One player after the game even ran over to me and had some very kind words about my game. Seem a good bunch of blokes.

Unfortunate news for St Bernies - VAFA just advised that they played an ineligible player in round 11 against UHS so they lose the 4 points. Nasty way to lose because they outplayed us in every department.

Such is the Puff

Unfortunate news for St Bernies - VAFA just advised that they played an ineligible player in round 11 against UHS so they lose the 4 points. Nasty way to lose because they outplayed us in every department.

Such is the Puff

Looks like it is true. Ladder on VAFA website shows that there points have been removed along with their %. Any one know the exact reason why? Unregistered player, too many U19's or something else?

Looks like it is true. Ladder on VAFA website shows that there points have been removed along with their %. Any one know the exact reason why? Unregistered player, too many U19's or something else?

That's the most logical reason for it, our coach did mention that they had a couple of really good size kids

What's the story with Willi & St Bernards? Have St Bernard's done it again?
The ladder has changed since Monday with Willi gaining 4 points and St Bernard's loosing 4 points and ladder positions alternating

thanks again to rich centrals for organising a fri night game for the kids tonight, also would have been very hard with there clubbies on at elsternwick. More fri night games in 2014

Poor St. Bernards. Looks like they will miss finals and they where the only side to match it with Kew.
If they beat Williamstown and Weribee (very doable) and Point Cook beat Williamstown, they'll finish on 44 points and slightly ahead of Williamstown on % for 4th I think?

Definitely deserve to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back