UEFA EURO 2024 (Round of 16) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

There were a few signs of better things, but I remain utterly cynical about England. We’re still too slow, too hesitant, and it will cost us.
Trippier and Saka out, Gordon and TAA in. I'd also drop Foden and bring in Gordon on the left. I'd also consider dropping Kane for Watkins...

Gordon Watkins Palmer
Bellingham
Rice Mainoo
Walker Guehi Stones TAA
Pickford

There were a few signs of better things, but I remain utterly cynical about England. We’re still too slow, too hesitant, and it will cost us.

We looked a lot better when Palmer came on. It seemed to give added energy to the whole forward line. Mainoo for Gallagher didn't make a difference. Wharton might have done. Trent made a couple of mistakes but we saw him step into midfield and get into attacking positions like he does for Liverpool. Trippier or Walker are no good at LB as neither have a left foot and come inside every time. Why not try Saka at LWB? He did well for Arsenal when asked to play there.

These are all things that could have been tried in the friendly games but instead Southgate is tinkering about with team selection and tactics in the middle of a tournament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mainoo should be starting the next game.

Give it time. He will be the one to cop the blame when England eventually get knocked out and then he will be racially abused.

Mainoo should be starting the next game.

I like Mainoo but those stats are misleading.

5 forward passes, 7 sideways, 18 backwards.
1 cross to no one.
1 tackle won
1 foul committed
2 out of 5 duels won
0 chances created
0 dribbles completed

Maybe Southgate has found his Kalvin Phillips replacement that he's been dreaming of.

Nah let’s play Bellingham ahead

Embarrassing

Bellingham has had a great season but he's still only 20 years old. Like any young player his form is going to vary and he's been poor in this tournament. Drop him to the bench and allow Foden to play in his natural central position.

Southgate's safe tactics really do nullify the strengths and natural instincts of England's creative players

I like Mainoo but those stats are misleading.

5 forward passes, 7 sideways, 18 backwards.
1 cross to no one.
1 tackle won
1 foul committed
2 out of 5 duels won
0 chances created
0 dribbles completed

Maybe Southgate has found his Kalvin Phillips replacement that he's been dreaming of.

That account is known for skewing stats to fit a narrative.
Don’t know how anyone could watch that and think Mainoo is the answer, he did nothing.

At the end of the day it’s down to the manager.

France, England, failed to deliver. Austria topping the group surprises me but a few experts tipped them to do well. Spain have been the best team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back