UEFA EURO 2024 (Quarter Finals) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

There is nothing more certain than Southgate trotting out this XI v Switzerland.

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Rice Mainoo
Trippier Guehi Stones Walker
Pickford

Put your house on it.
I will take that bet that he wont put that line up out. Send over the house contract

Not that I bother with England much but I'd be surprised if Guehi started at CB. Surely Branthwaite is a superior option.

In terms of full backs Walker has been trash and Trippier at LB seems bizarre given the season he had at Newcastle plus his age.

Shitgate should bite the bullet and choose one of Foden and Saka - they both ideally play out right cutting in. Front 3 be Kane in the middle, Saka/Foden on the right and on the left I'd go with Eze slightly ahead of Gordon.

There is nothing more certain than Southgate trotting out this XI v Switzerland.

Kane
Foden Bellingham Saka
Rice Mainoo
Trippier Guehi Stones Walker
Pickford

Put your house on it.

They ended up with a back 3 against Slovakia. Southgate used it at the last Euros. Guehi is suspended so it might look something like -

Pickford
Walker Stones Konsa
TAA Mainoo Rice Trippier
Foden Bellingham
Kane

Though if England play as badly as the other games it might look more like a back 5.

Not that I bother with England much but I'd be surprised if Guehi started at CB. Surely Branthwaite is a superior option.

In terms of full backs Walker has been trash and Trippier at LB seems bizarre given the season he had at Newcastle plus his age.

Shitgate should bite the bullet and choose one of Foden and Saka - they both ideally play out right cutting in. Front 3 be Kane in the middle, Saka/Foden on the right and on the left I'd go with Eze slightly ahead of Gordon.
Not in the squad from memory

They ended up with a back 3 against Slovakia. Southgate used it at the last Euros. Guehi is suspended so it might look something like -

Pickford
Walker Stones Konsa
TAA Mainoo Rice Trippier
Foden Bellingham
Kane

Though if England play as badly as the other games it might look more like a back 5.
Ah yeah Guehi is suspended, I forgot. No chance Southgate changes the formation. He will just replace Guehi with Konsa and roll out the same blokes in the same formation and no doubt lose to Switzerland 2-0.

Guehi suspended and Trippier likely to be sub after his injury in the last game.

Could see Garry doing something really stupid like Saka at LB and keeping a back 4 but really he needs to go with
Pickford
Walker/Stones/Konsa/TAA
Bellingham/Rice
Foden
Saka/Kane/Gordon

Instruct Kane to stay up top and not drop deep, let Bellingham go box to box but keep him away from the wings, if Bellingham pushes forward Foden to drop back slightly and vice versa, tell Saka and Gordon to keep their width and they will have plenty of space to get in behind. The space has been there behind the wing forwards every match and Southgate refuses to expose it.

TAA as an inverted FB isn't there to defend but then Trippier wasn't great at it either, what TAA can do with the ball from that position is get it into the space in front of Saka/Walker when they overlap or play through balls to Kane. Thats assuming Kane doesn't wander about.

If Shaw is fit, bring him on for 35ish in the second half.
If Foden struggles, Bellingham to AM and Mainoo or Gallagher to CM depending on match state. Gallagher is better off the ball than Mainoo, but Mainoo is more creative on it. Really depends on the score.

If Kane struggles again by the 70th minute sub for Toney.

Its really not that difficult, Englands talent is unreal and any manager at EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga level would have this team smashing it this Euros.
Even if England shithouse their way to win the tournament Gareth has to go. Theres no way they are winning because of his system its all due to someone producing something in spite of their set up i.e the Bellingham goal.

Guehi suspended and Trippier likely to be sub after his injury in the last game.

Could see Garry doing something really stupid like Saka at LB and keeping a back 4 but really he needs to go with
Pickford
Walker/Stones/Konsa/TAA
Bellingham/Rice
Foden
Saka/Kane/Gordon

Instruct Kane to stay up top and not drop deep, let Bellingham go box to box but keep him away from the wings, if Bellingham pushes forward Foden to drop back slightly and vice versa, tell Saka and Gordon to keep their width and they will have plenty of space to get in behind. The space has been there behind the wing forwards every match and Southgate refuses to expose it.

TAA as an inverted FB isn't there to defend but then Trippier wasn't great at it either, what TAA can do with the ball from that position is get it into the space in front of Saka/Walker when they overlap or play through balls to Kane. Thats assuming Kane doesn't wander about.

If Shaw is fit, bring him on for 35ish in the second half.
If Foden struggles, Bellingham to AM and Mainoo or Gallagher to CM depending on match state. Gallagher is better off the ball than Mainoo, but Mainoo is more creative on it. Really depends on the score.

If Kane struggles again by the 70th minute sub for Toney.

Its really not that difficult, Englands talent is unreal and any manager at EPL/Bundesliga/La Liga level would have this team smashing it this Euros.
Even if England shithouse their way to win the tournament Gareth has to go. Theres no way they are winning because of his system its all due to someone producing something in spite of their set up i.e the Bellingham goal.

Has TAA played left back before? I can't see him starting there but Southgate was giving everyone a turn against Slovakia. I'm surprised Gomez hasn't been used as he's shown for Liverpool he can fill that role.

I don't remember Southgate using inverted full backs who step into midfield. He's previously picked TAA at right midfield. It's not his normal game but he's actually pretty good at dribbling past the full back and getting down the line.

The problem with giving Shaw 35 minutes is that if it goes to extra time he will have to play 70 minutes, which he might not be ready for.

No way you drop Saka to play Foden on the right. Foden basically has had a free role. He drifts forward, goes central, goes left and he's been shit everywhere. At least Saka has an assist. England need a proper left sided player who will do their job and a proper right sided player, so Saka and Eze. And you need a CF who will play in their position, headless chicken Kane isn't cutting it. Put Tony in there at least he knows how to stay central.

Mainoo has been the best 8 so far, and his link with Saka was good so there's the answer. But its way too late to be doing changes to the lineup its already over for England. They're lucky to have had such an easy run and Jude otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about them anymore.

Has TAA played left back before? I can't see him starting there but Southgate was giving everyone a turn against Slovakia. I'm surprised Gomez hasn't been used as he's shown for Liverpool he can fill that role.

I don't remember Southgate using inverted full backs who step into midfield. He's previously picked TAA at right midfield. It's not his normal game but he's actually pretty good at dribbling past the full back and getting down the line.

The problem with giving Shaw 35 minutes is that if it goes to extra time he will have to play 70 minutes, which he might not be ready for.
Don't know if TAA has played LB but considering he would be there for ball use and not as much his defensive skills it might be worth the change. That said its based around Southgate playing players somewhere randomly to use specific skills, I think we see Shaw or Walker at LB before we see TAA there.

The issue with Shaw is if you start him, he hasn't played in ages and I think the game is going to be played at high pace from the Swiss early and he might get caught out. But you are also correct that bringing him on at 70' could be bad if the game goes to ET.

Really you likely bring Shaw on at 70' IF England have a 2 goal lead to defend.

Either way, not having a genuine LB and more experienced CM that can defend and play progressive passes will be what sinks England in the end.

Trent hasn’t played LB. But in the past (for Liverpool) when Robertson was out injured, I brought up the idea of TAA as an inverted LB, with Gomez at RB so Gomez is on his right foot when crossing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alexander-Arnold can't defend on the right, I'd be wary of putting him on the left.

It's a really poor squad, particularly in defence. Walker has been awful, Stones looks unfit/injured, Guehi has been good, Trippier not a left back and past it.

Not much in reserve either, Branthwaite would have been a good selection, and given Shaws fitness it was bizarre that another left back wasn't selected.

And that's before we move into the midfield and upfront where there isn't a decent performer to be found.

Given the performances, it's a miracle England are still alive.

Sounds like England might be switching to 3 at the back, with Saka and TAA as the wing-backs. Bellingham and Foden both central behind Kane.

Sounds ok on paper, intrigued to see it in practise if that’s what they go with. Although if it is true and I was in the England camp, I’d be concerned about all these leaks coming out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back