UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

History tells me it will be heartbreak for England again. Spain seem a bridge too far. Hard to see how he can keep picking Kane, but no way he drops him.
Any chance Kane could stay in his position? So frustrating.

Every time Foden or Saka looked up there was no one there. It became an even bigger problem in the second half when Holland played so compact in defence.

What's this Spain's side's record in finals? Have many of them even played in one for the national side?
I think there's a difference. England have the massive weight of expectation and have a history of failure.

Spain aren't carrying that baggage.

Geez, harsh penalty. Just not a foul for me. Very lucky for England to receive that one.

Excellent finish from Watkins. He’s been very under-utilised this tournament.

I can't understand the VAR referral after viewing it.

Watkins should start in the final. Big call but Spain will push up and he can catch them out with his pace on the counter.

I think England will win. It would be so English to finally win with a dour game plan and having fallen across the line in every game.

I'm predicting England to go 3-0 up, Harry Kane to then score a hatty of own goals followed by England going out on penalties.

Southgate deserves plenty of credit for that win. Played really well the first half. Then I’m sure most expected Toney would be the one to come on given how he’s looked off the bench but goes with Watkins and what a finish. It’s easy to say when it’s not your job that Kane’s a rubbish player and take him off, but if Watkins comes on and misses a big chance and they lose he’d be crucified for it.

Really not surprised the pen was given. I don’t agree with it but feel like those have been pens ever since VAR came in. Studs up and clearly catches him. It’s a foul everywhere else on the pitch so when they go to a replay it gets given. Problem is the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

I think there's a difference. England have the massive weight of expectation and have a history of failure.

Spain aren't carrying that baggage.

That weight of expectation hasn't really shown at any stage in this tournament though has it? That Spanish team hasn't achieved anything so I'd suggest there's a fair amount of expectation on them too.

Meanwhile Spanish media are sitting back telling their viewers how much Spain have only made one European Semi Final and gone out in earlier rounds of major tournaments over the last 10 years, compared to England who have made a World Cup Semi Final and two European finals. So the weight of expectation not to fail is on Spain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile Spanish media are sitting back telling their viewers how much Spain have only made one European Semi Final and gone out in earlier rounds of major tournaments over the last 10 years, compared to England who have made a World Cup Semi Final and two European finals. So the weight of expectation not to fail is on Spain.
Yes, doing nothing in the last 10 years is exactly the same as not winning a major trophy since 1966...

That weight of expectation hasn't really shown at any stage in this tournament though has it? That Spanish team hasn't achieved anything so I'd suggest there's a fair amount of expectation on them too.
Well its a final and so the expectations on both are huge. Matters little who is favourite or not IMO.

Yes, doing nothing in the last 10 years is exactly the same as not winning a major trophy since 1966...

Who hasn’t won a major trophy since 1966? England yes, but not these particular players.

Well its a final and so the expectations on both are huge. Matters little who is favourite or not IMO.

I think you're agreeing with me because I'm saying that too haha.

Who cares? It's not the same set of players. This set of England players have been to this stage before.

And lost.

I'll be genuinely surprised if England win.

I mean technically they drew the game, they lost the pens, something they're considerably better at now. If the game this time goes to pen they'll most likely win.

Really not surprised the pen was given. I don’t agree with it but feel like those have been pens ever since VAR came in. Studs up and clearly catches him. It’s a foul everywhere else on the pitch so when they go to a replay it gets given. Problem is the punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

I get the foul anywhere on the pitch part, but VAR only applies in the box unless it’s considered dangerous play. Contact like that over the pitch are generally 50/50 if you get the call or not, but that sort of instance really shouldn’t be a penalty.

Defender was making a play at the ball and the contact didn’t impede the attacker as it was after the shot. If it was before then you can argue it’s a penalty, but this one was more Kane’s foot/follow through going into Dumfries, not the other way around.

Geez, harsh penalty. Just not a foul for me. Very lucky for England to receive that one.

Excellent finish from Watkins. He’s been very under-utilised this tournament.
That's a foul everywhere on the pitch and usually a card. They just rarely get given in the penalty area.

Remove this Banner Ad

UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back