Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

What can you expect when the league boss says this at a Swans function before the game
6 - AFL boss full of praise for Swans
During Saturday's pre-match function, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan handed the McClelland Trophy to Swans president Andrew Pridham for taking out this year's minor premiership. McLachlan then had some very strong words for how far the Swans have come in the AFL. Once a club on the brink of ruin, it has now made the finals in 11 of the past 12 seasons. "The Swans were a club no one associated with September," McLachlan said. "They almost exclusively played from March to August each year. Now, it's a club everyone thinks about when September rolls around. This is a club that effectively owns the month of September. This year, they managed to conquer all before them, despite being saddled with enormous expectations."
.........................This is the club that can buy its own premierships with our help

Pigs arse.
Agreed Fred, it wasn't just the lopsided free kick count it was where they were paid. Plus I saw more than a couple of blatent frees not paid. Taebener was thrown to the ground when the ball was still incoming (had not taken possession) and nothing. Balla pushed in the back into the ground without the ball. Nothing. I could go on...

Agreed Fred, it wasn't just the lopsided free kick count it was where they were paid. Plus I saw more than a couple of blatent frees not paid. Taebener was thrown to the ground when the ball was still incoming (had not taken possession) and nothing. Balla pushed in the back into the ground without the ball. Nothing. I could go on...
I'm actually pretty sure that Fremantle players don't have a back. Hence the lack of in the back calls. Did anyone else notice that every time there was a marking contest in the mid, the sydney player would push out the freo opponent (in the place where a back should be) and never got called for it?

I'm actually pretty sure that Fremantle players don't have a back. Hence the lack of in the back calls. Did anyone else notice that every time there was a marking contest in the mid, the sydney player would push out the freo opponent (in the place where a back should be) and never got called for it?
Yep!

I thought the umpiring wasn't that bad tbh.

I'll show myself out.
20 frees to 12 is lopsided by any measure.
with free kicks, most of the ones they receive could well be legitimately paid, but the issue is that most of the opposition potential free kicks are paid, yet a far smaller proportion of our potential frees are paid.
and any 50/50 decisions tend to go towards the opposition.
the upshot of this is that the AFL can argue quite comfortably to support most decisions, but do nothing to actually act on the inequality.
as has been mentioned previously, the AFL have no need for Freo to succeed. We have a huge & passionate supporter base who will continue to pump money into the AFL.
as for shitney, that abominable city is full of dullards who prefer to watch the extended training drill masquerading as a sport called thugby league, so they need the Cokehead Colas to win.
should we somehow make it to the GF, i'd love for Ross the Boss to get on the front foot & highlight the pure stats about frees for and against in the eastern states.
or maybe it is a case of the self fulfilling prophesy where the umps believe that Freo are a dirty team, so they are looking to penalise us.
either way, it is difficult to win against a team with 21 on the field.

I thought the umpiring was shittier that Basil's nose after a meeting with Ch 7 management. I thought they were very strict on the slightest infringement by a Freo player, stuff which they should have let go in a final.

They helped Sydney get a little bit of a lead in the early part of the game, but we just weren't good enough to catch up and close the gap.

Wasn't as bad as some games (Carl, Geel) but some pretty costly ones, Lachie Neale had two absolute certs missed, one high & the in the back.

Can recall a throwing the ball unpaid in our forward line but reckon Hill not being pinged HTB in the first qtr was a shocker too.

I don't subscribe to the theory that the AFL has an agenda when it comes to the umpiring but I do get why it feels like there is! The lack of transparency in the AFL that the Essendon/ASADA saga has exposed is mind boggling and is it any wonder why people then apply it to other areas of the game.

I think what has happened over time (i.e. Seasons) is that the umpires have been instructed that Freo plays on the edge and to look out for our players infringing. Which is complete bullshit, we really don't play any dirtier (or however you'd like to phrase it) than the other top/hard sides.

Then in the game, the umpires have it in their minds that we are an infringing team, and this leads to a self fulfilling prophecy that they ping us more than we deserve. And let the opposition get away with things that we don't. The 50/50 decisions (and non-decisions) are heavily imbalanced against us. Then the free kick differential ladder keeps building, again, more self-fulfilling evidence that we are this infringing kind of side.

So we are just in this position where the umpires are going to screw us over. It might not be direct cheating (apart from Leigh Fisher), and subconscious from the umpires rather than deliberate ... but it is definitely an unfair bias. It just sucks and there's seemingly nothing we can do about it.

From a mathematical/statistical viewpoint, our bottom position (by a huge margin over the next team) on the frees differential ladder is ridiculously anomalous. It's clear evidence of being shafted over the whole season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of late freo frees to try n even it out a bit.

I swear if sandi got all the free kicks he should he would rack up 40+ disposals each week. Apparently rules don't apply on freaks of nature. Gets scragged at every stoppage, arms held down I even saw him shepparded at one ballup. It's a joke.

We arent a dirty team, why such a disparity all yr?

Watching the Nth / Ess game last night and Margetts reports a player because an opponent slid into his legs.
I was incensed when Margetts penalised Barlow for a player sliding into his legs in the Essendon / Dockers fix last year at Subiaco. ( in front of our goals ).

Now, what occurred to me at the match fix last year at Subi was Margetts is a ****ing, cheating campaigner.
Then the ****ing campaigner does it again last night.
So I am now left wondering; am I misunderstanding the rule about sliding into a player's legs ?
Is Margetts therefore not a ****ing, cheating campaigner and is merely a ****ing campaigner.
Is the AFL a cancerous sporting body packed with corrupt campaigners who are directing umpires to ****ing cheat, to facilitate contrived results ?

Or

Has the rule in fact changed and the player who slides into another player's legs receives the free kick ?

All this time, here's me thinking MARGETTS is a ****ing cheating campaigner and that the head of the AFL is the most incompetent campaigner in the southern hemisphere, when in fact they are most likely candidates for Australian of the Year Awards.

Can some campaigner ****ing enlighten me ?

Is Walters the only guy with noticeable tattoos on our team? So long for the theory that clean cut first impressions counting for anything. Works a treat for Joel Selwood though. That prick looks like an apple on the teachers desk kinda guy.

Saturday was probably the first time in forever i legitimately didnt think we could win because of the influence of the umpires.. its too to hard to compensate for 3 individuals having a 75% / 25% lenience towards the opposition. We are no doubt the ugly duckling of the top 4... the AFL would see us as their last option for making it through again, they either get:
A) their darlings from NSW get through
B) Another "Classic" hawks/Geelong edition

Never used profanities as much as i did in those 3 hours.. between the umpires and the commentators, its just disappointing in todays so called "professional" age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back