Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

This is easily the worst rule change they've made in the last 10 years.

Agree. Another kneejerk reaction from the AFL to some commentators and supporters complaining about the rule early in the season.

They had it right at the start of the year. Play-on until the ball is clearly dead or there is an obvious infringement.

Where has the old fashioned in the back - in which a player tackling another player needs to roll them or come from the side to prevent landing on their back - gone? Did they take out the rule without me noticing? Because it's just not getting paid.

Also, why is it that Essendon were frequently allowed to get away with going the bump when second to the ball, regardless of situation? Chopping arms, in the back, high contact; there were an awful lot of those in this game, but both Harry's and Ollie Hollands come to mind.

Harry was injured in part by Kennedy taking his feet from under him, but his brother slammed his forearms into the back of his head when it happened. Ollie could've been awarded a free for chopping arms and high contact.

And the stoppage after stoppage after stoppage game. You remove prior opportunity and narrow the definition of HTB to a ridiculous pantomime, only payable when certain conditions are met.

The only really soft free kick we got last night was the first one against Ben on Harry - from then on we were right royally reamed.

The only really soft free kick we got last night was the first one against Ben on Harry - from then on we were right royally reamed.
And that wasn't even soft. He had both arms wrapped around him, completely.

I genuinely do not know what we did or who we pissed off, but this is becoming farcical.

Never seen that before. That's bonkers.

If that happened these days, there'd be no other conversation topic for a week and that up'd be banished to the ammos.

That was (coincidentally) the Neale Daniher game in 1981.

Listen to the commentator Peter Landy - first he says Fitzpatrick “taking his time and why shouldn’t he” then he says after umpire Robinson pays the free kick for time wasting (who regularly reamed us) “good umpiring”.

:p :rolleyes:

The most ridiculous one was the one on Hollands. Bloke cannons into his back, makes absolutely no play on the ball, just takes Hollands out of the marking contest ... nothing to see here.

The most ridiculous one was the one on Hollands. Bloke cannons into his back, makes absolutely no play on the ball, just takes Hollands out of the marking contest ... nothing to see here.

I mentioned this yesterday and i think it shows how bad the officiating, the training and the umpiring is, i said I can understand how an umpire might be out of position or see it from an angle where he thinks the * player contested the ball, but how do three other umpires, all miss it?

Which brings me to my point, they dont miss it, one of them has seen it, but they are either too scared to pay it or they encouraged not to overrule an officiating ump.

It would be total incompetence if you have four umpires and all of them is a blatant infringement like that, it wasn’t a pack, there wasn’t congestion, it was out in the open.

Something that has really pissed me off this year, has been the change to rucking rules, i understand the rule was changed as to not penalise ruckman who used there body and strength in the ruck against weaker opponents, what has happened is, you get a player like TDK with eyes for the ball, jumping to contest the ruck and Goldstein pushing him in mid air, to knock him off balance and its play on.

Yet anywhere else on the ground its a big no no, called tunneling.

I mentioned this yesterday and i think it shows how bad the officiating, the training and the umpiring is, i said I can understand how an umpire might be out of position or see it from an angle where he thinks the * player contested the ball, but how do three other umpires, all miss it?

Which brings me to my point, they dont miss it, one of them has seen it, but they are either too scared to pay it or they encouraged not to overrule an officiating ump.

It would be total incompetence if you have four umpires and all of them is a blatant infringement like that, it wasn’t a pack, there wasn’t congestion, it was out in the open.

Probably a misunderstanding of how the umpire system works. You have 1 umpire in control of the play at all times who will hand over control to another umpire as appropriate. It isn’t normal for out of zone umpires to override the umpire in control unless they believe the controlling umpire was blindsided and they are 100% certain of the call.

Don’t get me wrong, the umpiring this year has been a shambles. Of the games I watch most years, I go pretty good job, might be a few decisions I don’t agree with or are missed, but generally pretty good. This year has been a shitfest. So scared to make any decisions, it’s been anything goes, until someone plucks out something innocuous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that has really pissed me off this year, has been the change to rucking rules, i understand the rule was changed as to not penalise ruckman who used there body and strength in the ruck against weaker opponents, what has happened is, you get a player like TDK with eyes for the ball, jumping to contest the ruck and Goldstein pushing him in mid air, to knock him off balance and its play on.

Yet anywhere else on the ground its a big no no, called tunneling.

There were two instances closeish together.

One was where TDK was clearly going to tap the ball and Goldy just pushed TDK to create a contest. This was a missed free kick. I think TDK still got a hand to it so the umpire may have thought the push wasn’t sufficient to prevent TDK contesting the ball. But in my opinion it was a wrong call, as Goldy had no intention of competing for the ball.

The other Goldy went well past the ball and blocked TDK from competing. The umpire went to blow his whistle but Goldy got a hand to the ball before it hit the ground. Under the new law, this is play on, so the umpire got this correct.

Probably a misunderstanding of how the umpire system works. You have 1 umpire in control of the play at all times who will hand over control to another umpire as appropriate. It isn’t normal for out of zone umpires to override the umpire in control unless they believe the controlling umpire was blindsided and they are 100% certain of the call.

Don’t get me wrong, the umpiring this year has been a shambles. Of the games I watch most years, I go pretty good job, might be a few decisions I don’t agree with or are missed, but generally pretty good. This year has been a shitfest. So scared to make any decisions, it’s been anything goes, until someone plucks out something innocuous.

I’ve watched many games where an ump far away has blown the whistle for a free when the controlling ump is close to the play, the ump boss was on the radio a week or so ago stating that they always try to have two umps viewing every contest from opposite angles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve watched many games where an ump far away has blown the whistle for a free when the controlling ump is close to the play, the ump boss was on the radio a week or so ago stating that they always try to have two umps viewing every contest from opposite angles.
Oh it does happen, but consider how many games there are, how many contests etc, and how many calls come from an umpire who isnt the controlling umpire. It is a pretty low percentage.

Don't think there were too many absolute howlers on the night. We couldn't get a 50-50 free during the 3rd quarter though.

Worst decision of the night would have to be the out on the full called late in the 3rd where the Carlton Players hand was 2 feet from the ball.

Just saw the missed 50M penalty to NM in the last minute of their 1 point loss today, that was terrible. The umpire has paid the mark, two opposition players who both are not in the marking contest, rush at the player and grab him, both going about 2m over the mark, as the player goes back to take his kick.

Ump does nothing.

Just saw the missed 50M penalty to NM in the last minute of their 1 point loss today, that was terrible. The umpire has paid the mark, two opposition players who both are not in the marking contest, rush at the player and grab him, both going about 2m over the mark, as the player goes back to take his kick.

Ump does nothing.
It was badly umpired all day. Very one sided to say the least.

I’ve said this many times before to anyone who cares to listen , but, the AFL must make a pathway for recently retired/ delisted players to become umpires.
The current crop have zero feel for the game as most of them have never played it.
They need to pay free kicks that impact the contest/flow of the game…the obvious ones, not the technical ones that have no impact on the contest. A defender grabbing a bit of jumper has zero influence on a marking contest as an example.

Agree, as long as they don’t umpire their old team…looking at you Leigh Fisher you cheat

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was badly umpired all day. Very one sided to say the least.

The umpiring has been really bad all season and I feel like we say it every year, so I’m unsure if it’s actually true but if you add an extra ump and still miss all these frees, then I don’t know the point.

Even if the game was umpired bad all day, the later in the game these things happen, the bigger the ramifications.

Just petrified to make the decision is what I thought

I’ve said this many times before to anyone who cares to listen , but, the AFL must make a pathway for recently retired/ delisted players to become umpires.
The current crop have zero feel for the game as most of them have never played it.
They need to pay free kicks that impact the contest/flow of the game…the obvious ones, not the technical ones that have no impact on the contest. A defender grabbing a bit of jumper has zero influence on a marking contest as an example.

I don’t really know if what you’re saying is an umpire issue or a rules issue, every year we watch footy and see the whistle get put away in finals and the GF, if this is what the AFL want, then why not just adjust the rules accordingly.

When I hear, only pay the obvious ones or use feel for the game, I just imagine the coaches then training there players to push the. Boundaries to the max in every instance, there needs to be a line somewhere.

We shouldn’t have 4 umpires all with a different threshold for what is a hold or a push.

The rules are largely the same every year, yet the product changes because the AFL allow or instruct their umpires to officiate a certain way.

There needs to be a professional approach to the umpires of AFL. AFL should implement fulltime positions for umpires and riguourously train them in the rules so that their interpretation is consistent between each other.
if they keep the four field umps then how about making one the senior (final say) ump who can overrule.
Why can't the boundry umps officiate? Would then be able to reduce the field umps to 2.
With the reduction the desire to officiate a senior game would engender better interpretation of rules. (hopefully)

The umpiring has been really bad all season and I feel like we say it every year, so I’m unsure if it’s actually true but if you add an extra ump and still miss all these frees, then I don’t know the point.

It really does feel worse this year, and also worse since they introduced the 4th umpire.
There hasn't seemed to be any benefit at all to having the 4th.

Ump does nothing.
Decision ticked of by AFL actually said should have been called play on straight away and that players were confused
Players were confused what about the fans with all the shite umpiring going on

Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back