Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

New HTB rules have been mostly positive for the speed of the game, but I disagree with two interpretations.

If you are immediately tackled but have one arm free this is not prior opportunity. You need two hands to handball, and all normal kicking techniques also require two hands.

Also incorrect disposal is incorrect disposal. Making an attempt is not good enough. It's called dropping the ball and should reward the tackler.
Your first sentence doesn't align with your second 2 sentences.

Your first sentence doesn't align with your second 2 sentences.

I like the shortening of what is deemed to be "prior opportunity".

In the first week the rule was introduced it made players dispose of the football with much greater urgency.

Players quickly adapted and now we live in a world of chicken wing tackles and ball dropping. It's ugly.

I like the shortening of what is deemed to be "prior opportunity".

In the first week the rule was introduced it made players dispose of the football with much greater urgency.

Players quickly adapted and now we live in a world of chicken wing tackles and ball dropping. It's ugly.
The shortening of prior opportunity has almost entirely been focussed on considering 1 arm free to be prior, which is why the tackles are focussing on grabbing one arm.

The shortening of prior opportunity has almost entirely been focussed on considering 1 arm free to be prior, which is why the tackles are focussing on grabbing one arm.

Bit more going on than just that.

Prior opportunity used to be much longer than it is now.

All the talk of "360 spins" in tackles being considered prior is gone.

You don't see players being allowed to break through tackles.

The umpires are red-hot on the whistle now.

This is not on umpires per se (maybe), but I thought the Norf players didn't mind trying to roughen players up as they brought them to the ground (including with knees). Something umpires should ping? Or should we do a bit more of the same?

I’ve seen posters complain all year about opposition ruckman using dodgy tactics, I’ve seen posters complain that a team was too rough and yes the umps should ping them, but we also need to be tougher, you need a side that plays on the edge and pushes the boundaries.

Umpires seem to have evolved the new rules interpretation, its now if you are tackled one arm and dont dispose, its holding the ball.

The rule when it came in was stated as reducing the time it gave players to dispose of the ball.

The free against Walsh in the first and free against LDU in the 3rd or 4th were garbage.

The AFL has onece again has introduced a mess in trying to tidy one up, the pulling the players arm behind their back in a tackle is BS and needs to stop.

Bit more going on than just that.

Prior opportunity used to be much longer than it is now.

All the talk of "360 spins" in tackles being considered prior is gone.

You don't see players being allowed to break through tackles.

The umpires are red-hot on the whistle now.

Yeah, they have tightened that up.
But I think it's a smaller aspect of what how change of interpretation plays out in games. I think holding the ball is even more broken than what it was prior to the change.

Fwits who control football are ****ing morons and changed the interpetation on the wrong part of the rule.

The issue the footy public have with the holding the ball rule is that it isnt umpired to the wording of the rule. While the change is in line with the rule, i.e. the ball isnt pinned so you have to try to get rid of it, it is still not taking into consideration the most important bit.

(a) the Player GENUINELY attempts to CORRECTLY dispose of the football.

The plain reading of this is that the player with the ball must genuinely try to either kick or handpass the ball. Just pushing the ball out, or dropping it without some kind of kicking or handpassing action, is not acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwits who control football are ****ing morons and changed the interpetation on the wrong part of the rule.

The issue the footy public have with the holding the ball rule is that it isnt umpired to the wording of the rule. While the change is in line with the rule, i.e. the ball isnt pinned so you have to try to get rid of it, it is still not taking into consideration the most important bit.

(a) the Player GENUINELY attempts to CORRECTLY dispose of the football.

The plain reading of this is that the player with the ball must genuinely try to either kick or handpass the ball. Just pushing the ball out, or dropping it without some kind of kicking or handpassing action, is not acceptable.
Exactly right. But what we're seeing is that players who have no real opportunity to genuinely attempt to dispose of the ball (e.g. on knees, or ground, and one arm held), are being pinged HTB if they hang on to it. What else can they do in that position? Nothing. So, they drop it, and it gets called play on. This situation should be reversed. If there's no opportunity to genuinely dispose (and no prior), it should be called ball up quickly. And if it's just dropped, it's incorrect disposal.

Exactly right. But what we're seeing is that players who have no real opportunity to genuinely attempt to dispose of the ball (e.g. on knees, or ground, and one arm held), are being pinged HTB if they hang on to it. What else can they do in that position? Nothing. So, they drop it, and it gets called play on. This situation should be reversed. If there's no opportunity to genuinely dispose (and no prior), it should be called ball up quickly. And if it's just dropped, it's incorrect disposal.

THIS!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best thing to do in a tight contest now, is to hug the ball with both arms and get tackled to cause a stoppage. Seen a few players do this already.

Unless you have a clear cut pathway out or a release handball or kick, hug the ball and cause a stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back