Roast umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpires certainly didnt effect the result, but there were some bad decisions last night. For me the two bad ones that stood out were the 50 against Johncock, it was a bump ball and while the ump paid the mark surely he was intelligent enough to understand that Johncock played it as though it was a bump ball and wasnt trying to stop the player from playing on. Some discretion from the ump should have been given in that instance (it was as bad as the fifty against Tambling when the Ump pointed the wrong way).

The second one was that Johnson played on, the new rule is that when you play on you cant get the kick back. I'm sure earlier in the season there was a bad advantage that wasnt taken back in the last quarter that could have changed the result though (I cant remember the which game it was), while it was the sensible decision to bring the kick back it still contravenes the new advantage rule.

The umpires certainly didnt effect the result, but there were some bad decisions last night. For me the two bad ones that stood out were the 50 against Johncock, it was a bump ball and while the ump paid the mark surely he was intelligent enough to understand that Johncock played it as though it was a bump ball and wasnt trying to stop the player from playing on. Some discretion from the ump should have been given in that instance (it was as bad as the fifty against Tambling when the Ump pointed the wrong way).

The second one was that Johnson played on, the new rule is that when you play on you cant get the kick back. I'm sure earlier in the season there was a bad advantage that wasnt taken back in the last quarter that could have changed the result though (I cant remember the which game it was), while it was the sensible decision to bring the kick back it still contravenes the new advantage rule.

So, you complain that the umpire didn't use discretion with the Ottens mark & 50, but then go on to complain when they DID use discretion with the Johnno advantage?? It seems you're just going to argue whenever it goes against the Crows.

Geelong are a masterful team at getting free kicks that aren't there. This is actually a credit to them - to their experience, their guile and their footy smarts.

I feel the crowd were so one-eyed last night they actually missed what was occurring. Geelong simply outsmarted us around the contests, and the umpires fell for it most of the time.

We need to get more savvy as a footy team or umpires will continue to blow us away week after week. Don't whinge. Adjust to the whistle. It comes down to coaching, and we had a coach who for seven years put no value in smarts like this.

Talk of biased umpires is ridiculous. We just have dumb players.
Hey Pete,have you ever been to a Geelong home game??

The third ridiculously bad decision was when Jacobs took a clean mark 30m in front with 4:35 to go in the last quarter, when the Crows were just one goal down, but the umpire awarded it to Lonnergan because he was in front with his hands held up in the air, with fingertips perhaps as close as say 8cm away from the ball.

Apparently it is also a good idea also to award a 50m penalty against Johncock when Otten doesn't take a mark, but there is no 50m to be paid to Sloane when he is tackled and then slung around 360 after he does take a mark.

Oh, and somehow the play on advantage rule doesn't apply to Johnson if he hits the post when he plays on.

The third ridiculously bad decision was when Jacobs took a clean mark 30m in front with 4:35 to go in the last quarter, when the Crows were just one goal down, but the umpire awarded it to Lonnergan because he was in front with his hands held up in the air, with fingertips perhaps as close as say 8cm away from the ball.

I haven't seen the replay, but at the ground there was no doubt it was Lonergans' mark. Jacobs tried to claim it (as every man who is 2nd in line does), but there was no chance it was his.

As I said, I haven't seen the replay... please correct me if i wrong (someone other than ok.crows!!)

I haven't seen the replay, but at the ground there was no doubt it was Lonergans' mark. Jacobs tried to claim it (as every man who is 2nd in line does), but there was no chance it was his.

As I said, I haven't seen the replay... please correct me if i wrong (someone other than ok.crows!!)

That happened like a few metres infront of me, not being biased, but it was a Lonergan mark. Both hands on the ball, man infront. Payed everyday of the week

I watched the replay last night and it did look as though Lonergan just got enough of the cherry to be paid the mark.

Having said that, umpire no. 15 missed quite a few blatant frees to our detriment. I wonder if he made it safely to the car park?

So, you complain that the umpire didn't use discretion with the Ottens mark & 50, but then go on to complain when they DID use discretion with the Johnno advantage?? It seems you're just going to argue whenever it goes against the Crows.

Seems your doing the same thing as you're clearly trying to justify a decision that was incorrect. I actually agree that Johnson should have had another kick, but with the new rules this year it is no longer possible.

The new rule is that once a player elects to take the advantage the ump cant decide to rescind the advantage and let them take the kick again. I personally dont agree with the rule, but righly or wrongly Johnson should not have had that second kick because he elected to play on and the umpires are now no longer able to call it back. We saw it earlier in the year and it was discussed and most have agreed that the rule is wrong and should be changed back (which I agree), but under the present set of rules it should have been ruled a point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicholls has had a thing against us for a while now. This is far from the first time.
THIS.

The most infuriating part is that he doesn't even bother trying to NOT make it obvious.

Andrew Newton Jarman just rekoned Niel Craig will be Umpires coach next year!

Can't beat em? join em. Goldspink beat craig in the 06 prelim...didnt just beat him, blew him away.

Isn't it funny though, how both decision were in Geelong's favour?:eek:

Use discretionary power, it goes Geelong's way. Don't use discretionary power, it goes against Adelaide.

I would say that discretionary power was used on both occasions.

lmao i cant help but laugh a little bit having a read through this, the umpires didnt do anything wrong all night, the commentators didnt once suggest anything derogatry about it either as they shouldnt have, i have watched the game 3 times now

to suggest that a player that has been blatantly tripped up to quickly chuck the ball onto his boot blindly in the heat of the moment while on the deck is rediculous, i can guarantee if the AFL was asked questions about that they would back the call 100% as there is no morale against it

the lonergan mark? man in front gets his hands on the ball he gets paid the mark pretty simple

your boys played out of their skins all night and gave it 120% against a much better team and never gave up, you should be extremely proud instead of whining, one thing you have to realize is that when your team goes in at a rediculous manic intensity the entire night like adelaide did, your going to give away a lot of careless rough frees

The Difference? With the Johnno advantage, the umpire went against the rules. The player desides the when to take the advantage, not the umpire.

lmao i cant help but laugh a little bit having a read through this, the umpires didnt do anything wrong all night, the commentators didnt once suggest anything derogatry about it either as they shouldnt have, i have watched the game 3 times now

to suggest that a player that has been blatantly tripped up to quickly chuck the ball onto his boot blindly in the heat of the moment while on the deck is rediculous, i can guarantee if the AFL was asked questions about that they would back the call 100% as there is no morale against it

Watched the game last night on the replay on foxsports.

Gerald Healy stuck to the law about the canceling of the advantage. He was stating that the law we have now is that the player decides when to play on, Johnson took that advantage and hit the post. Granting him another go is not in the law that they brought in this year. Now I dislike that law, but that is the one we have had all year. You can't change it part the way through the year for some players and not for others.

Morals don't come into it, the laws of the game do and the laws state that the player is the one who determines if there is advantage or not. In that instance the umpire got it wrong.

If you listen closely, the umpire blew his whistle to pay the Johnson free at the same time as he was kicking it. I don't see how that can be counted as playing to advantage. Surely the player has to know a free has been paid before he decides to play on? The infringement occurred, the umpire blew his whistle and simultaneously the player kicked the ball.

It sucks but IMO the umpire made the right call by giving him another kick.

Watched the game last night on the replay on foxsports.

Gerald Healy stuck to the law about the canceling of the advantage. He was stating that the law we have now is that the player decides when to play on, Johnson took that advantage and hit the post. Granting him another go is not in the law that they brought in this year. Now I dislike that law, but that is the one we have had all year. You can't change it part the way through the year for some players and not for others.

Morals don't come into it, the laws of the game do and the laws state that the player is the one who determines if there is advantage or not. In that instance the umpire got it wrong.

the advantage rule indicates a player may chose whether or not to take the advantage or not in the instance of a free kick, johnson was tripped over and tumbled to the ground and kicked the ball almost instantaniously, he most likely was not aware of or conscious of a free kick, there was not any time for an assessment of the situation, therefor advantage was not taken and play is called back.

there is a big difference between a player grabbing the ball from a free and continuing on with the flow, and a player being tripped up and blindly kicking the ball on the floor, on is aware and taking advantage the other isnt.

correct decision every day of the week, if the AFL come out and say this isnt the correct call, and i guarantee they will say that it was the correct call, but if for some reason they choose to decide that this wasnt, then a rule needs to obviously be changed, as to say a blind boot on the floor a half second after being triped is "taking advantage" is quite ludacris

I don't want this board to go into meltdown but one of the umpires in the Gold Coast v Adelaide match is No 15-Nicholls:eek:
samuel_L_Jackson.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back