Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 47 52.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 27 30.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not gonna bite the hand that feeds him now is he?

Ross complains now and the AFL will let him know about it in uncertain terms. But might be game enough to share a different view after he’s retired.
But Lyon didn't shut it down completely, full stop, did he!
He managed to continue the interview and expand it a tad further by talking about...the rub of the green and consistent umpires! And that talking about the umpires and their game day performance is for the media to do...hint, hint...don't let me stop youse all from doing that!

Worse for me is the shepherding off the ball rule. First quarter against Melbourne Lefau was standing back ready to run and jump at a high ball into our forward line. A Melbourne player moves in front of Lefau, puts his arms out in a shepherding position and pushes back into him. Isn’t that an illegal shepherd. Couple of minutes later same thing with Bolton. In both instances the block would have been 20m off the ball. The Melbourne player had no intention of going for the ball Lever and May have made a career out of this tact and they never seem to be penalised. RIP spectacle high marks.
Great post
Especially when we saw Elliot take an absolute screamer this week and some of the discussion around it is the question of why don’t we see these kinds of marks as frequently anymore… you have just highlighted why we don’t see them

The umps aren’t penalising players who are stopping them from having a decent chance of occurring so of course coaches are going to tell players to Shepard for the ball

What’s the point of having 4 field umpires when the new 4th ump was specifically sold to us around giving umpires to focus off the ball more and look for these kinds of tactics

Wait for it this weekend. Freo will win the free kick count at the MCG. We would have ZERO chance of winning the free kick count at their home ground but watch them come over here and win it on our home ground. There is nothing more certain this weekend. I wish we could bet on it!!!
I feel it will be around the 13-26 free kick count in freo's favour.
Throw in 2x 50m penalties against us as well for good measure.

Wait for it this weekend. Freo will win the free kick count at the MCG. We would have ZERO chance of winning the free kick count at their home ground but watch them come over here and win it on our home ground. There is nothing more certain this weekend. I wish we could bet on it!!!
If there was a betting market for free kicks, I'd put all my money on whoever plays us every week to get more free kicks.

That was technically a valid 50m penalty decision, and that's the problem with this sport.

Sure you can blame the umpire for not having the awareness to apply common sense discretion, but that's not the real problem

What other professional sport has their rules so poorly defined that results in this kind of rubbish every single game?

I have no tolerance of the trash victim mentality posters here have. It's a problem with the sport, not a grudge against the tigers.

That was technically a valid 50m penalty decision, and that's the problem with this sport.

Sure you can blame the umpire for not having the awareness to apply common sense discretion, but that's not the real problem

What other professional sport has their rules so poorly defined that results in this kind of rubbish every single game?

I have no tolerance of the trash victim mentality posters here have. It's a problem with the sport, not a grudge against the tigers.
But when Chad Warner decided to boot the farken ball out of the SCG against us they decided to apply ‘common sense’. It is a sport problem, but we cop the short end of the stick pretty much every week. There’s clearly an over emphasis by umpires to look for Richmond infringing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it technically? The reason for a 50m is to stop other sides slowing down play. The siren has gone, so there is no advantage. He could not have done anything except go back over his mark and taken a set shot.

Was it technically? The reason for a 50m is to stop other sides slowing down play. The siren has gone, so there is no advantage. He could not have done anything except go back over his mark and taken a set shot.
yeah that's the reason for the rule but my understanding is that the rule is give the ball to the right player immediately or cop a 50

What comes first the must give it back or the lack of advantage. The ump could have used his common sense.
Yeah the ump could've, but the fact that it was technically the right decision is part of the problem, and there are so many subjective rules like that.

Successful professional sports do not have many subjective rules. Pretty much every key rule in the AFL is subjective. This is a failure by the AFL, and the umpires continue to cop it because they're stuck with an impossible task

They're nothing short of awfully incompetent. They must have dog s**t for brains. Pathetic bed wetters the lot of 'em.

Back