Under 19's 2009.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy Stars

Senior List
Dec 5, 2007
Victoria Park
Under 19's will be played every Friday night at 7.10. With only 9 teams in each division able to field teams, this will help the competition expand. Clubs that dont field 19's at present are the Lalor (Pulled out of Div 1, just assuming considering it says they have only played 6 games), Fitzroy Stars, Panton Hill, Heidelberg West, Parkside, Epping. Hopefully all these side's will be able to enter the under 19's next season. It's going to be a great competition but how many ovals have the lighting required to play under lights?

Under 19's will be played every Friday night at 7.10. With only 9 teams in each division able to field teams, this will help the competition expand. Clubs that dont field 19's at present are the Lalor (Pulled out of Div 1, just assuming considering it says they have only played 6 games), Fitzroy Stars, Panton Hill, Heidelberg West, Parkside, Epping. Hopefully all these side's will be able to enter the under 19's next season. It's going to be a great competition but how many ovals have the lighting required to play under lights?

i have to disagree with u here stars, i have played alot of friday night games(9 last year), many in juniors and the one this year and have found them appaling. the clubs who have "playable lights" are barely playable. for instance watsonias are very ordinary the pockets are too dark. i suggest if this is brought forward that it is done over several seasons to get lightin up to scratch. i for one would prefer to play friday nights, instead of the early saturday morning, but at the moment the lights arent too flash, im sure most would agree?:thumbsu:

I think the better option would be satday arvo twilight game. This would get the attendances up because of people hanging around after the seniors. I played in one twilight match at lower plenty and it worked really well.

I think the better option would be satday arvo twilight game. This would get the attendances up because of people hanging around after the seniors. I played in one twilight match at lower plenty and it worked really well.

yeah good by u LLmoose, definately a favourite, just gotta get the lights up to a reasonable standard. lowers arent too bad, but if they wanna make it a competition then thats what they should do.

If they were to play them straight after the seniors at about 5pm then the light problem wouldnt be such an issue.

suppose they could always start the ressies at 11 and the seniors at 1 further enhancing the opportunity to play 19's late in the day.

I read the article and i am pretty sure it wil be a progressive target of the NFL to have all u'19 games played on Friday night. The Nfl and council will work in conjuction with clubs to get grounds up to standard. So i think you will find next year games split between Friday night and saturday morning. It may not be until 2-3 years time when all games are played exclusively on Friday nights.

Scuttlebutt from an NFL Executive a few weeks ago indicated the league would be moving in this direction with the U19s and would encourage any "innovative" ideas eg Friday night double headers, Saturday twilight games etc. The idea is to feature the U19s age group and potentially short circuit any player availability problems some clubs encounter with Saturday morning fixtures. Agree re the lighting issues and most solutions look expensive without substantial local/state/federal govt assistance.

Compulsory fielding of U19s is also on the agenda.

Love this idea Moose, gets the u19's a good crowd as well, where as the Friday night games are lowly attended. After all the u-19's are the future of the clubs and the league by showcasing them on a saturday night, there are shown to be the main attraction, might keep people areound the clubs longer as well, increasing money over the bar and from that club coffers...just a thought.:D

Love this idea Moose, gets the u19's a good crowd as well, where as the Friday night games are lowly attended. After all the u-19's are the future of the clubs and the league by showcasing them on a saturday night, there are shown to be the main attraction, might keep people areound the clubs longer as well, increasing money over the bar and from that club coffers...just a thought.:D

the problem here is the vast majority of clubs hire their rooms out for functions alot of the time on a saturday night. and this makes twice as much money as what that would. still a decent idea, but i just dont think the league will do something so drastic, they will stick with friday nights i think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the problem here is the vast majority of clubs hire their rooms out for functions alot of the time on a saturday night. and this makes twice as much money as what that would. still a decent idea, but i just dont think the league will do something so drastic, they will stick with friday nights i think.

I wouldn't say the vast majority, Bundoora seem to be the only club i think of that hire out their rooms as a venue.

Let me know of another others that you are aware of ?

for the amount of games played at home during the year i doubt very highly this would come into it freddo all you have is 9 weeks of home games either work around it or who says every game has to be twighlight there are ways to work round this for sure!! once again the nfl is makeing the rift between juniors and seniors bigger senior players rarely go to friday night games i know iv been to several played in a few and all with different clubs in division 1 and 2, seriously money outlayed know could be well spent in makeing us a stronger and more inviting league to juniors and parents and yes for any club to survive it is all about the juniors!

A question for those who may know a little more than I on this situation. I know they have tried in the past (without succes) and are trying again this year. St Mary's are involved in preliminary discussion to enter an U/19's team in the NFL for next season. Borne through the enthusiasm of the current players, as well as those of last year.
Without a senior affiliate (which is why the application failed last time round), I cannot see it getting up this time.
Is there anyone in the know within the new administration that can shed some light of the junior club recieving some positive news?

A question for those who may know a little more than I on this situation. I know they have tried in the past (without succes) and are trying again this year. St Mary's are involved in preliminary discussion to enter an U/19's team in the NFL for next season. Borne through the enthusiasm of the current players, as well as those of last year.
Without a senior affiliate (which is why the application failed last time round), I cannot see it getting up this time.
Is there anyone in the know within the new administration that can shed some light of the junior club recieving some positive news?

enough bies as it is ridiculous that there even trying compulsuary under 19s also may be an answer to no more bies

The St.Marys U19 side will flop on its ass. In the past 3 years they have been eager to get a senior team on starting a side in the NFL or VAFA , yes kids have been keen to still continue but when clubs like Bundoora, Heidleberg, Eltham, Research, ect offer good money and the Club can't meet expectations as a new club in senior level, watch them drop like flies, St.Marys 09 is a possibility yes but wouldn't see them lasting long especially with a bid to be placed in division one.

Fitzroy Stars Under 19's seem to be a likely conclusion in 2009. The over all view at the AGM tonight is that this goes ahead, but the board just need to check off a few things before anything is official:):thumbsu:

Lets make some predictions for 2009 div 1.

Bundoora to slide,
Eltham, West and boro the three contenders
T.Chapman/Corey Ray league BNF
North Heid to push top 4

Thoughts?

Lets make some predictions for 2009 div 1.

Bundoora to slide,
Eltham, West and boro the three contenders
T.Chapman/Corey Ray league BNF
North Heid to push top 4

Thoughts?

should be an interesting season as it always is, cant see bundoora sliding far at all though. only lose four players from last season (A. drossinis, S. McCallum, J.Craker and D.cox) all the other top agers from last year hang on with the 19s and a half rule.

i think t chapman will be pushing for ones next year. so wood ray at west i presume. is it still definetly 19s and a half? if it is my prediction is d.equid from eltham. injury prone tall who would also push for ones next year that will stand out head and shoulders above the rest in the under 19.5 comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Under 19's 2009.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back