Unsure Shaun Burgoyne linked to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Burgoyne, 27 next month, already is being linked to Sydney - a club which seems to be pouncing on any top-line out-of-contract footballer, as highlighted by the Swans' play for Western Bulldogs defender Brian Lake.

ADVERTISER

The "Swans' play for...Lake". LOL. What "play"?

Thus far it seems the Swans will be recruiting Lake, Seaby, Burgoyne, Griffen just for starters. Any other players want to jump on board?

Or maybe managers trying to pump up the value of their out-of-contract clients could come up with a more original club to link their player to.

Any player that comes out of contract that isn't a Swans player becomes "linked to the Swans". It's never (or at least, rarely) based on anything, and is simply the product of our success with recycled players over the years. The Swans are the team that recycles players, so if a player is up for trade, the Swans are assumed to be interested. If the Saints are active over the next couple of trade weeks, you watch, they'll fall into the same boat.

Hey Liz and Bloodstained, I think you forgot Brett Peake, Marcus Drum, Chris Tarrant and probably Daniel Harris. Don't know what Raines is thinking wanting to go to the Lions and not Sydney. Perhaps we should start a list of all the "linked with Sydney" players mentioned over the next month

If we could get their first rounder (which knowing Sydney is a possibility, because they're not exactly hung up on a youth policy) I'd do it.

Shaun is worth more than just a first round player surely.

Any player that comes out of contract that isn't a Swans player becomes "linked to the Swans". It's never (or at least, rarely) based on anything, and is simply the product of our success with recycled players over the years. The Swans are the team that recycles players, so if a player is up for trade, the Swans are assumed to be interested. If the Saints are active over the next couple of trade weeks, you watch, they'll fall into the same boat.

Nah!

Even Ryan O'Keefe that came out of contract & was a Swans player became "linked to the Swans" throughout the whole ordeal!:eek:

You won't be touching our first rounder and no Shaun is not worth #6. I'd say he is worth around #10-16 at his age. Seeing as Sydney dont have that i would say we will look closer at Pearce which i reckon would cost us around #22 + good young player. I'd think Port would look closely at Jared Moore

You won't be touching our first rounder and no Shaun is not worth #6. I'd say he is worth around #10-16 at his age. Seeing as Sydney dont have that i would say we will look closer at Pearce which i reckon would cost us around #22 + good young player. I'd think Port would look closely at Jared Moore

Shaun is worth at least pick 6 in this year's weak draft. Many a dud has been picked up between 4-8 in the draft (does Tim Walsh at pick 4 ring any bells?).

Shaun is a match winner and they cost a very high pick.

Under normal circumstances yes, but A) We need kids and it's a shallow draft, so anything past a first rounder is pretty much a lottery B) We have plenty of quality attacking players, C) There are reports of player disquiet and Shaun is involved in most of them and D) Plenty of Port players need a rocket and someone with Shaun Burgoyne's quality being traded would provide that rocket. It's definitely a risk, but considering our club's current position I'd be willing to take that risk to hopefully get 10-15 years of quality from a gun junior than a guaranteed 5 years of quality from Shaun.

<insert your clubs player here> has been linked to the Swans, who are beleived to have offered <insert players name here> a three year deal worth $1 million to move to the harbour city.

Just wanted to make it easy for everyone (including those lazy journalists out there) for their next article or bigfooty.com thread.

DST
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaun is a funny one. He's had a disapointing couple of years since 2007, but i still think on his day he is one of the true match-winners of the competition. In reality, to me, anything less than a first rounder + decent player is unacceptable. However, that is probably unrealistic to his actual current trade value so he must stay.

Look I dont think the Power would let him go but he would have significant value because he is very good at the clearance which is such an important part of the modern game. For mine he is definately worth a top 5 pick in this draft or a 5-16 pick with a player around the 10-14 mark at current club.

In any event - he will stay.

At the WAFL finals last week I was speaking to a couple of well known ex-players whose inside knowledge is proven correct more often that not.

They advised that Woosha has also spoken to Burgoyne several times and in fact he (Woosha) is very very keen on bringing him to WC.

Interesting, WCE have stated they would be open to dealng with their 1st round pick too, which is what they would need to give away to get him. They have a heap of young guys too that could tempt Port.

Interesting, WCE have stated they would be open to dealng with their 1st round pick too, which is what they would need to give away to get him. They have a heap of young guys too that could tempt Port.
You would think if it WC were chasing him they will offer Seaby and a pick

You would think if it WC were chasing him they will offer Seaby and a pick

Shaun is worth much much more than Seaby and a pick (Seaby and a pick is more like a deal for Pettigrew now Shaun)..

maybe a package deal something like this

Power ........... West Coast
S. Burgs For Ebert + Pick 7

(if Ebert isnt included or on the table then its both pick 7 & 23)

Pettigrew + 56 For Seaby + Pick 71

S. Burgs can play in the middle or he can play in a forward pocket kicking goals ( 3 - 4 years ago he kicked 6 and his brother Kicked 5 against the Bulldogs from memory in the same game) and West Coast need a forward pocket...

Pettigrew can be a future replacement for when Embley for when he retires

maybe a package deal something like this

Power ........... West Coast
S. Burgs For Ebert + Pick 7

You seriously think Burgoyne is worth that much on the market? His intrinsic value might be, but I think the market rarely pays that.

Out of interest, how do you compare him to O'Keefe, who was available for trade last year?

Very similar ages (Burgoyne now is 6 months younger than ROK was a year ago). Burgoyne certainly has more flash to his game but nothing like the consistency or the work ethic of ROK. Both reasonably versatile. ROK has much greater proven physical durability than Burgoyne (he's missed one game in the past 6 seasons, and that was due to a virus, not injury). ROK has made the AA team once and been on the fringes at least 3 times, probably 4 over the last handful of seasons. (Twice in the squad of 40 and only just missed out this year according to Healy.) He's consistently finished in the top 5-6 of the Swans B&F over the past five or so years (including one close second) and that's in a team that's been pretty successful over that period.

Last year the market wouldn't even cough up a late first round pick for ROK.

Even allowing for supposed differences in the quality of players available this year, you're expecting a significantly higher return for a player who's promise might be slightly higher, but whose output is lower.

The difference between S. Burgoyne and ROK is that Burgoyne is a matchwinner, whereas ROK, despite being a very good player, is just a consistent, 'you know what you'll get' type. Flashy matchwinners tend to get noticed more and therefore tend to get higher picks. Plus the A-A point is moot as a comparison, it's a lot easier to get a spot on the A-A half forward flank than it is in the engine room. Despite saying all that, ROK was EASILY worth a first round pick IMO, especially for a team with a wide open premiership window, and Hawthorn were idiotic not to give it up.

The difference between S. Burgoyne and ROK is that Burgoyne is a matchwinner, whereas ROK, despite being a very good player, is just a consistent, 'you know what you'll get' type. Flashy matchwinners tend to get noticed more and therefore tend to get higher picks. Plus the A-A point is moot as a comparison, it's a lot easier to get a spot on the A-A half forward flank than it is in the engine room. Despite saying all that, ROK was EASILY worth a first round pick IMO, especially for a team with a wide open premiership window, and Hawthorn were idiotic not to give it up.

I acknowledged Burgoyne's great flash factor. As to that translating to matchwinning, I reckon far more matches are actually won by the type of hardworking consistency of a ROK (coupled with some pretty good skills too) than the flash of a Burgoyne.

I'm not trying to undersell Burgoyne. I think he's a great player and if the Swans were closer to competing for a flag I'd love them to seriously chase him. But I still think you're being overly optimistic expecting the market to stump up around twice the value that they weren't prepared to stump up for a similarly credentialled player at a similar age just a year ago.

Despite saying all that, ROK was EASILY worth a first round pick IMO, especially for a team with a wide open premiership window, and Hawthorn were idiotic not to give it up.

Hindsight is a funny thing, but how they didn't do that deal is beyond me.

And then to have the year they had and watch ROK go into the midfield and go up another level would have been painful for Hawthorn to watch this year.

DST
:D

liz said:
I acknowledged Burgoyne's great flash factor. As to that translating to matchwinning, I reckon far more matches are actually won by the type of hardworking consistency of a ROK (coupled with some pretty good skills too) than the flash of a Burgoyne.

Maybe so, but that's just your opinion and just because you think that it doesn't mean that John Worsfold does.

liz said:
I'm not trying to undersell Burgoyne. I think he's a great player and if the Swans were closer to competing for a flag I'd love them to seriously chase him. But I still think you're being overly optimistic expecting the market to stump up around twice the value that they weren't prepared to stump up for a similarly credentialled player at a similar age just a year ago.

First of all, I wasn't the one who wanted Ebert and pick 7. If we could get pick 7 alone from the Eagles, maybe with Seaby thrown in (I don't want him but Choco seems to) I'd be relatively happy with that deal. But just because Hawthorn refused to give up a first rounder for O'Keefe, it doesn't mean that everyone would. IIRC he was asking for a lot of money, which might have put a few potential suitors off.

And you have to remember that last year was a 'superdraft' and the Hawks obviously wanted Schoenmakers, who was compared to O'Keefe pre-draft and will have an extra 8 or 9 years ahead of him. The Hawks had a need for a backman to replace Croad, so they acted accordingly (why they picked a natural forward and tried to turn him into a backman rather than just picking a backman I don't know, but they did). West Coast don't really have a glaring need that they'll need a first rounder to quickly fix (while their ladder position wasn't great that's largely because they were playing kids) so they may be willing to give up more.

As a hypothetical, if Port offered to trade Shaun Burgoyne to the Swans for Ryan O'Keefe, would you take it? If so, then that gives you an indication of why Burgoyne would be worth more. If not, there are probably plenty of clubs who would (and there are probably clubs who would rather O'Keefe than Burgoyne, but it only takes one club rating him massively for Port to get a good deal).

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsure Shaun Burgoyne linked to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back