Movie Up In The Air

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL, I know!! I must admit I was singing along to "Bust A Move". :D
Unfortunately he will only ever be remembered for that song. The bloke is a lyrical genius (I have a couple of his albums and his writing ability is way up there) but could you imagine doing gigs, parties, etc, where the audience only ever wants to hear that one song. I feel sorry for the bloke, he deserved more success in comparison to less talented hip hoppers and rappers in the 90s who fared better for whatever reason.
Fun fact: Except for the professional actors (i guess the ones that interact more with George, etc when he is firing them), the rest of the people who are fired in the movie are "real people" who were let go recently from their job.
Correct, the people in those scenes were not actors but actual employees of corporations who had been fired as a result of down-sizing, a deliberate approach from the director to inject more reality-based emotion into the movie.

Saw it tonight and loved it. The performances were all terrific and Reitman found the right tone throughout. I thought it might've been heading too much into the romantic side of things but the twist saved that.

Very disappointing.

If this is what passes as a great film these days, then the bar hasn't just been lowered.

It's been buried altogether!

I really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were very well wriiten and acted.

I predicted the 'twist' so not that unpredictable but a very good film nonetheless.

As for people suggesting Oscar material, I saw nothing that made me think it was at that level. (Heaps better than Forrest Gump though !)

I found Kendrick to be the least convincing, but in relation to Clooney and Farmiga that's still a pretty high compliment. It was an odd movie. I don't have a problem with movies whose message or story resolution is ambiguous but this left me slightly cold. Slightly. It was entertaining throughout, well directed, well acted, well written... I just didn't form a major emotional connection to anyone or anything. Anyway, I'd recommend this.

Nicely poignant moment in the film. Quite clever.

upintheairposter.jpg

Agree that it was a little "preachy." Interesting to read the different views on things.

I felt the overriding message was that we all want the marriage/kids package because the the only alternative is a lonely solo life.

That conversation about what they wanted in life, included the idea that "settling for things" is equal to failure. And that's what I felt they were saying about Clooney's character. He lived the empty solo life, finally saw the light, but got hurt and retreated/settled back to his life in the air, a sad, lonely man.

Light entertainment, some snappy dialogue & keeps it rolling along at a nice pace. Had some funny lines, "I'm like my mother, I stereotype, it's faster."

Nicely poignant moment in the film. Quite clever.

Agree that it was a little "preachy." Interesting to read the different views on things.

I felt the overriding message was that we all want the marriage/kids package because the the only alternative is a lonely solo life.

That conversation about what they wanted in life, included the idea that "settling for things" is equal to failure. And that's what I felt they were saying about Clooney's character. He lived the empty solo life, finally saw the light, but got hurt and retreated/settled back to his life in the air, a sad, lonely man.

I agree with you to your last point.
for me he didn't return to a lonely solo life as you say. He learnt that he was truly happiest flying around single without all the family stuff. To me it was a positive thing. Any person who doesn't marry and have children wonders if they missed out on something. He went through that in the film and learned he was happiest in his single life. I thought the end was really positive.

I agree with you to your last point.
for me he didn't return to a lonely solo life as you say. He learnt that he was truly happiest flying around single without all the family stuff. To me it was a positive thing. Any person who doesn't marry and have children wonders if they missed out on something. He went through that in the film and learned he was happiest in his single life. I thought the end was really positive.
Well that's a nice way to look at it but I definitely did not get that from the ending. Just from the look on Clooney's face I'd say scout's got the right idea.

Well that's a nice way to look at it but I definitely did not get that from the ending. Just from the look on Clooney's face I'd say scout's got the right idea.

what a load of utter bollocks!:eek:

He was given a choice to stay in the office (thus set down roots) or head back out traveling (his former life). He chose to go back traveling and the look on his face at the end is one of satisfaction. Like this is where I belong.

Highlight to reveal -> why would he settle down in an office though? he had no reason to once he found out that chick was married. working a 9-5 job and coming home every night to an empty apartment would have only compounded his feelings of loneliness.
i agree with the others, in the end he realized what a shallow, empty existence he had been living, but it was all he knew so he went back to it.
<-

He definitely chose to go back to flying around because that's what he knows and loves. But I still think the ending showed he had a change of perspective. He realised his way wasn't all he thought it to be, but he couldn't really change it after so long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie Up In The Air

Remove this Banner Ad

Back