Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So we are losing money on Ramsdale and then spending more on a backup?

What is our obsession with GK's?

Did Arteta play with Almunia? Has that given him PTSD?

Arteta certainly has his specificity in mind with every position, starting with GK. KSE/Josh/Edu surely have had discussions with him that this has to be it now. Given how much shifting of the decks in that position.

In just a few years, Leno sold, Runarsson come and gone, Turner (such a strange signing as stylistically he never had the attributes sought), Ramsdale come and gone, now Raya and Garcia and likely a 3rd keeper needed given Hein is loaned out.

That’s a lot of resources allocated to one position. I think this needs to be it for now.

Keen to see what emerges with any forward targets the next few days.

Arteta certainly has his specificity in mind with every position, starting with GK. KSE/Josh/Edu surely have had discussions with him that this has to be it now. Given how much shifting of the decks in that position.

In just a few years, Leno sold, Runarsson come and gone, Turner (such a strange signing as stylistically he never had the attributes sought), Ramsdale come and gone, now Raya and Garcia and likely a 3rd keeper needed given Hein is loaned out.

That’s a lot of resources allocated to one position. I think this needs to be it for now.

Keen to see what emerges with any forward targets the next few days.

I appreciate that Ramsdale wanted to leave, but surely we are going to have the exact same issue with Garcia in a few years too? I doubt we'd be able to make money off a backup that would, presumably, not be playing often at all.

Was there no experienced older GK somewhere that we could have picked up?

How did we go from a potential 1 million GK (that Wolves guy) to a very expensive backup?

I appreciate that Ramsdale wanted to leave, but surely we are going to have the exact same issue with Garcia in a few years too? I doubt we'd be able to make money off a backup that would, presumably, not be playing often at all.

Was there no experienced older GK somewhere that we could have picked up?

How did we go from a potential 1 million GK (that Wolves guy) to a very expensive backup?

From memory the Wolves link (Bentley I believe) was in mind for the 3rd keeper position. That needs to be done anyway regardless of Ramsdale, as Hein was loaned out earlier in the window. So I think that’s separate to this. The other signing we made was for an 18 year old from Ajax I recall, not ready as yet for that spot.

Yes we do see other clubs go for a more established, senior keeper in their 30s who are okay with being that second GK at that stage of their career. Perhaps we tried that and couldn’t find someone to fit the criteria.

I saw Szczesny mentioned in that regard, who Arteta played with. I think he just retired though, and isn’t renowned for his skills with his feet like Arsenal would seek.
At some point Garcia also needs to play for his own development. Being Spanish as well that will fit in well with Raya, Inaki Cana and Arteta. Maybe he gets a CL game if Arsenal secure qualification in addition to the Cups?

It’s a lot of time, money and resources allocated to one position. That surely has to be that.

For all of the bouquets sent in the direction of Arteta and Edu, their ability to tank the value of players that are not in the first team is unmatched.

We point and laugh at Chelsea's muddled strategy, and rightly so, but if they sold ESR, Ramsdale and Nketiah they would be banking close to £150m, rather half that which Arsenal will likely realise.

For all of the bouquets sent in the direction of Arteta and Edu, their ability to tank the value of players that are not in the first team is unmatched.

We point and laugh at Chelsea's muddled strategy, and rightly so, but if they sold ESR, Ramsdale and Nketiah they would be banking close to £150m, rather half that which Arsenal will likely realise.

I've been critical of Edu and co in relation to our outgoings, and we did not get value for money for ESR and completely tanked Ramsdale's value, but getting over 25 million for Eddie in the end was great. Especially after the breakdown with OM.

We are getting linked to Sterling and Coman now.

I'd take either on loan, or Sterling permanently if there was a small transfer fee. We need someone, and maybe Arteta can get Sterling back to his brilliant best?

Sterling should be a cautionary tale in relation to Saka and managing his gametime. World beater in his early 20 and then was played into the ground. Now he looks fairly burnt out. Wilshere is an even more obvious one too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB_IMG_1724954537522.jpg

The draw for this season’s Champions League league phase has handed us matches against Inter Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, Atalanta, Shakhtar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb, Sporting Lisbon, Monaco and Girona.

The new 36-team format of the competition means we will no longer play all these opponents home and away, and so we’ll be hosting PSG, Shakhtar, Zagreb and Monaco at Emirates Stadium, while trips to Milan, Atalanta, Lisbon and Girona will be in our near future.

The exact order of matches, dates and kick-off times will be announced on Saturday.

What we do know is that the competition will begin in September and run until January 2025, with the following matchweeks:

Matchday 1: September 17–19, 2024
Matchday 2: October 1/2, 2024
Matchday 3: October 22/23, 2024
Matchday 4: November 5/6, 2024
Matchday 5: November 26/27, 2024
Matchday 6: December 10/11, 2024
Matchday 7: January 21/22, 2025
Matchday 8: January 29 2025

How the new format works​

Following the expansion of the competition to 36 teams, instead of a traditional group stage, all teams will instead compete against each other in a single table. Clubs will play eight matches against eight different teams, split evenly between home and away games.

The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the round of 16, while those that finish 25th or lower will be eliminated from all European competition.

The teams finishing in 9th to 24th place will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the Champions League. Those who finish between 9th and 16th will be seeded, and face one of the teams who finished 17th to 24th, with the second leg at the seeded team’s ground.

The eight play-off winners will then face one of the seeded top-eight finishers in the round of 16, when the competition returns to its traditional two-legged knockout method, albeit with a set bracket, meaning clubs will be able to plot out their potential paths to the final.

Last edited:
Linked with sterling? 🤨 I doubt we would sign sterling...

Loan maybe... But I would want the financials to be in our favour.

On the right terms and arrangement, yes I can see the logic. It’s perhaps an easy link for the media to make, given Arteta’s relationship with Sterling from their respective time at City. However perhaps there’s something in this, on the last day of the window some things can develop very quickly.

Patiently awaiting any news on an additional forward.

120560.jpg

Neto confirmed.

Sterling very close supposedly. Loan deal with no obligation. I don’t mind that. Especially leaving it this late in the window.

Nelson to Ipswich potentially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back