Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Slight pull outside the box and brushed him his arm a little inside the box. Thought originally a tangle of legs but was already going down by that stage.

Thank you. Yes it seemed that way to me he was on his way down inside the box. Still felt it was unnecessary from Partey didn’t disguise it well.

As I’ve said before and Glen has touched on, getting rid of Rambo has lifted a bit of weight off Raya and now he’s been able to flourish.

Really didn’t like the way Arteta went about it initially when we signed Raya as it created unnecessary pressure and expectation on both.

As I’ve said before and Glen has touched on, getting rid of Rambo has lifted a bit of weight off Raya and now he’s been able to flourish.

Really didn’t like the way Arteta went about it initially when we signed Raya as it created unnecessary pressure and expectation on both.

Yes the “subbing the goalkeeper” stuff really didn’t help set the tone. Arteta would probably do things differently if given that chance again. At the same time I note he can’t exactly say something like “Raya is a better keeper, you will see in time”. Difficult situation that created lots of noise that thankfully has now come and gone.

There’s a sophistication I’ve noticed with Raya, his long term relationship with Cana really helps make that 1% difference. He’s straight over to the sidelines when preparing for the penalty, they would’ve studied the opposition penalty takers and which way they go. He’s now quietly saved 4 of his last 8 penalties he’s faced I read this morning, including the Porto shootout.

Thank you. Yes it seemed that way to me he was on his way down inside the box. Still felt it was unnecessary from Partey didn’t disguise it well.

Yeah he made himself look guilty but for arguments sake Saliba's last ditch tackle was more of a foul than the Partey incident but he did a better job of hiding that he was pulling back on the opponent.

To the refs credit he was consistent with the contact that he allowed throughout the game albeit I would rather the game be more physical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s very difficult to assess the match accurately because of the red card, which completely changed the dynamics. Let’s get that shit out of the way first, Trossard was already on a yellow only 15 minutes before that. He just didn’t need to do it. And unfortunately once again it seems that delay the restart stuff rears it’s head again, even though there are many complications and examples I see across the league where it doesn’t seem to matter. Ahh well.

This is where the marginal differences matter. Arsenal have had 3 away games in a week. Drawn away in Italy on a Thursday night (thanks UEFA) whilst City played at home the day before. By the time the players get back London from the late flight, there’s little turnaround time or training etc aside from recovery sessions the Friday/Saturday etc.

In addition to the injuries already, I can see why this factored into the second half. 11v11, we matched them are were ahead deservedly I felt. Would we have won if it was 11v11 for the entire match? Who knows. It’s a guessing game. However on the balance of the week, the timing of this match, the level of energy needed to be expended in that second half, I totally understand why Arteta set it up that way.

Did I like it? No. I wanted Saka out there for the 90, his set piece delivery was causing mayhem and Gabriel is in a rich vein of form that had them in all sorts in set pieces. However given the context, I see why it needed to be done. Losing the match, going 5 points behind at this early stage, that was not a scenario Arteta wanted so again I can see the rationale.

The resolute defending in that was something else. Raya again was immense. He was almost man of the match again despite conceding twice, which is something Arsenal rarely do these days. 2 of the last 3 goals we’ve conceded have been with 10 men just for context.

The first goal was clinical from Haaland. We’ve denied him clear cut chances so well in the last few matches however we were opened right up and the spacing between Gabriel and Saliba was surprisingly wide. And punished to the maximum. From there I thought Arsenal responded very well and two excellent goals from Calafiori and Gabriel followed.

Havertz, Martinelli etc had their roles upended really. There was a shit load of defensive effort that doesn’t always get reflected in the stats. Thought they performed very well.

I say this again, time and again I’ve seen recent Arsenal sides collapse and implode under these circumstances. A point at City is fine really, we took 4 points off both them and Liverpool last season having drawn away and won at home. That’s okay with me, especially off the back of this weeks fixtures. To concede under that situation though understandably changes the complexion of how to perceive the match, the result, and the aftermath. A great “what if” situation that you can only ponder and come up with all kinds of hypotheticals.

For me though, I go back to when the fixtures were announced. Arsenal were roundly acknowledged to have a very tough opening run of matches. Away to Villa, Spurs and City in the opening 5 games. Our return from those 3 are 7 points.

Would I have taken that if offered at the time? **** yes.

When honing in on this week, with injuries to Odeegard, Merino etc, and an away trip to Italy in the CL wedged between two huge away PL matches. Our return was 1 win and 2 draws.

Overall, 11 points out of a possible 15. With 3 of the most difficult away matches out of the way in the league campaign.

The league cup is next up Thursday morning. Arteta will surely take the opportunity to give starts to some fringe players and lean into the squad. Nwaneri, MLS hopefully amongst the starters. Give a much needed breather to some key players and there’s the likes of Jorginho, Kiwior, Sterling, Jesus etc waiting to step in and ensure the level doesn’t drop too much.

I see this as one of those weeks that Arsenal just had to get through, and whilst dropping 2 points late in stoppage time understandably stings, we are still very well poised. From there, there’s an excellent next run of fixtures that I believe Arsenal will be able to maximise.

Wow, what a game and what a performance.

We were in trouble early and City's relentless pressing was giving us grief. I thought Cala was poor for the goal, Savinho rinsed him. The pass was great though.

Raya is easily the best keeper in the league right now. The whole badk six was immense. The way we just continually soaked up the pressure was beyond admirable. I don't think I've seen a better defensive performances from us.

There’s no point complaining about the referees IMO. The three main ones I can think of; Taylor, Gillett and Oliver are all consistently awful. The refereeing standard across the whole PL is poor, irrespective of who you follow or who you dislike.

We of all clubs should know better about getting booked for stupid free kicks. It was very silly by Trossard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back