Upper Murray 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

This page has died in the ass, any truth in Marty Thompson from albury heading to Cudgewa? Piltzy isn't playing for them but they have picked up well
Bullioh very quiet on recruiting front along with Feds n corry only picked up 3 blokes n lost a handful. Walwa signings keep coming. Where is chopper?

This page has died in the ass, any truth in Marty Thompson from albury heading to Cudgewa? Piltzy isn't playing for them but they have picked up well
Bullioh very quiet on recruiting front along with Feds n corry only picked up 3 blokes n lost a handful. Walwa signings keep coming. Where is chopper?
Had heard Piltz was returning to the blues how certain are u that he isn't? As for Thompson he hasn't been able to commit to Murray magpies, Wodonga raiders or Albury for a full season, so I don't see how he could commit to a team that's an hour and a half away, time will tell I guess!

Had heard Piltz was returning to the blues how certain are u that he isn't? As for Thompson he hasn't been able to commit to Murray magpies, Wodonga raiders or Albury for a full season, so I don't see how he could commit to a team that's an hour and a half away, time will tell I guess!
Piltz returning, playing 4/5 games then finals from what I've heard??? Thompson a sure thing! He is Deery's brother-in law, reckon between Thompson and Mcevoy they'll be kicking a few goals.

Bloke at towong races was saying a few of the tumba local lads have had real big preseasons, are capable 1st graders apparently but chose to play 2s last year. They have lost a heap but reckons they have most key positions covered, as people have already said should be pretty tight at the top this year.

Due for a flag been wondering the same about where is chopper, so i gave him a call.Says he has been tied up playing lawn bowles and has been having problems with his back.Once bowles are over he will give his views on this season.There are afew other things on his mind at the moment. Anyway it is good to see B/W getting some players on board this season could surprise some teams this season. GO BLUE BOYS

Bloke at towong races was saying a few of the tumba local lads have had real big preseasons, are capable 1st graders apparently but chose to play 2s last year. They have lost a heap but reckons they have most key positions covered, as people have already said should be pretty tight at the top this year.

Good on the local blokes for stepping up I say. In saying that the players they have lost are absolute top liners. Hard to replace. Sounds like cudgey are spending up. Walwa got a few new ones on the clearance page also. As others have said it all adds up to a tight season. Still nothing from bullioh?

Reckon the border mail were pretty right with their predictions yesterday, injuries will play a huge part this year clubs depth will be the key. Any clubs got practise games coming up?

Reckon the border mail were pretty right with their predictions yesterday, injuries will play a huge part this year clubs depth will be the key. Any clubs got practise games coming up?
Gooditaregum go back to page 1 and you will see chopper predictions on how the sides will finish see if they are the same as the paper and look at the date it was posted. Looking forward to his run down on each club

I reckon the top 3 predictions are a lock Corryong premier, the other 2 fighting for runners up. Fourth spot will be a lot tighter, Feds are younger but have little depth while Cudgy have depth but most of their recruits are ready for the old age home or are injured by finals time. Still tipping Cudgy for fourth spot but only just while Walwa will surprise someone early in the season.

Yeah mate,

Tumba playing Dubbo Demons this weekend in the annual Isaac Cornell Memorial match. It will be good to see how the boys go given that they have lost 15 players from last year. I think depth will be the biggest problem for the Roo boys. In saying that they have retained Barnes, Howarth (also the coach) Hallcroft, Hindmarsh and Spencer and picked up 2012 premiership player Quinn Rooney. Then there are the local guys like Lane and Vogan and who will step up as normal . Tumba have also recruited 4 from North Wagga and I cant wait to see how Ben Carey plays, he's got the pedigree and if he can stay injury free he should do well. Early days right?

I reckon Walwa might be the surprise packet, still recruiting strong and blokes like Dodds should go well. Their coach is also the Holbrook butcher, so they wont be short of meat for the raffles!!

The Pie-Eaters have been pretty quite as usual and no doubt we will have to wait until end of the clearances to see what they have.

I reckon the top 3 predictions are a lock Corryong premier, the other 2 fighting for runners up. Fourth spot will be a lot tighter, Feds are younger but have little depth while Cudgy have depth but most of their recruits are ready for the old age home or are injured by finals time. Still tipping Cudgy for fourth spot but only just while Walwa will surprise someone early in the season.
Johnny gastev, starting to think your a little worried about cudgie?? Keep going on about how old there players are? Maybe do yourself a favour and do some research on how old there blokes really are!!

Johnny gastev, starting to think your a little worried about cudgie?? Keep going on about how old there players are? Maybe do yourself a favour and do some research on how old there blokes really are!!
Know for a fact the ages u put up for Piltz, Deery and Mcevoy were rubbish, maybe it's u who needs to do some research. Sugar coating it isn't making them any younger.

Know for a fact the ages u put up for Piltz, Deery and Mcevoy were rubbish, maybe it's u who needs to do some research. Sugar coating it isn't making them any younger.
So how far out was I? What about the ages for the other recruits? Are they ready for the old age home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your pretty close allforfooty, Piltz only 30, Mcevoy 33, Deery 36, but don't think age really matters does it?? Ross chuck hedley coached bethanga when he was around early 40s then went back to raiders and played senior o&m. Think there smart enough blokes to no if there up to it or not!!
Other news, bullioh is regaining some older players back also in hickey, bill Nichol, curran handy pick ups. Walwa getting more players looking at clearances! Good to see!

Your pretty close allforfooty, Piltz only 30, Mcevoy 33, Deery 36, but don't think age really matters does it?? Ross chuck hedley coached bethanga when he was around early 40s then went back to raiders and played senior o&m. Think there smart enough blokes to no if there up to it or not!!
Other news, bullioh is regaining some older players back also in hickey, bill Nichol, curran handy pick ups. Walwa getting more players looking at clearances! Good to see!
Forgetting some of the locals returning boys Wheels is pushing 35 and Maz Jarvis is 30-31 and I don't think any of those returning players got through a full season and that was a couple of years back. Young blokes leaving like Kennedy and Saunders certainly does give Cudgy an slower, older look which 16 a side footy isn't great on the big grounds up here but doubt underestimate blokes who've played good footy at higher levels. Ross Hillary was 40 up here and got us a premiership or 2. No doubt if Voight, Ward and Dane Arthur get through the season Cudgy can push for top 4 but I don't think much more.

Pretty sure wheeler moved to port Douglas and flew down for a couple, Jarvis lived in melbourne and only played when not working back 2012. Had nothing to do with age or injuries. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't corryong improve last year after recruiting some older blokes? Hansen boys, Daley, Boyle, mcinnes? Now they've added cilson, rijinbeek(not sure on spelling there)? And there's only one big ground up there demon85 and cudgewa train on it!!!

I saw Tumba play on the week end and they beat an under-strength Dubbo team my 32 goals, Molky kicked 12. This was only a trial match and as we all know it doesnt count for much come the real season. Make no mistake though, Tumba will be competative and I am tipping them to be in the top two. Steve Barnes was devasting in the centre and he was joined by Josh Campbell from North Wagga who looks very fast. Tumba had a few out as well so it will be interesting come first round when they play Corryong.

MY TIP: There is a couple of lads working in the Tumba area who who have both played in strong leagues in VIC, if they decide to stay on and sign up for the ROO Boys they will be very handy in the UMFL - Watch this space!!

Last edited:
Well guys here is my update on this season, posted one in Jan and seems to be falling into place but i will say there won't be much between 6th an 4th spot.Starting from 6th an work my way up.
Border Walwa, as i said got their coach early don't know to much about him but has brought 8 or 9 players with him just in that will lift the confidence in last seasons playing group. With Tim Hayes returning will add abit of polish to their mid-field ,but did see him play at Jindera last season was carrying afew extra kgs but has a good footy brain. Carn't really comment on their recruits because haven't seen some of them play so that will be a surprise for the other teams, if Kade Butters stays on could see him kicking around 50/60gls for the season if they leave him up forward[top bloke].Now if they can get Nelso an K.Hunt to play and play Hunt at CHB if fit anything is possible if you want it hard enough. Injuries an depht will play a big part. 4/5 wins 6th.

Fedrals are an unknow quantity ,having lost S.Brunnenmeyer as coach due to injury M.Jones has now taken on the roll, don't know if he is playing or not but if used properly would make a good inter-change player.If clubs take them lightly that will be your down fall. They still have Smeds,Williams,the Tyrell boys,Sinclair and by the looks of it most of their recruits from last season. They need to find someone to milk Leigh Patons cows so he can play at FF. I can remember my first year in the upper murray at Cudgewa i rated him the hardest player to match-up.Depht will be there biggest problem 5th.
Well guys that two out of the way will be back with 3rd an 4th spot soon. max

Forgetting some of the locals returning boys Wheels is pushing 35 and Maz Jarvis is 30-31 and I don't think any of those returning players got through a full season and that was a couple of years back. Young blokes leaving like Kennedy and Saunders certainly does give Cudgy an slower, older look which 16 a side footy isn't great on the big grounds up here but doubt underestimate blokes who've played good footy at higher levels. Ross Hillary was 40 up here and got us a premiership or 2. No doubt if Voight, Ward and Dane Arthur get through the season Cudgy can push for top 4 but I don't think much more.
Corryong going from strength to strength with their recruiting which is adding depth to their already strong list. Prediction is as follows.
Corryong
Tumba
Bullioh
Cudgewa
Federals
Walwa
Bottom three may change depending on injuries but the top will stay as is as these clubs seem to have better depth in their lists.

Well guys here is my update on this season, posted one in Jan and seems to be falling into place but i will say there won't be much between 6th an 4th spot.Starting from 6th an work my way up.
Border Walwa, as i said got their coach early don't know to much about him but has brought 8 or 9 players with him just in that will lift the confidence in last seasons playing group. With Tim Hayes returning will add abit of polish to their mid-field ,but did see him play at Jindera last season was carrying afew extra kgs but has a good footy brain. Carn't really comment on their recruits because haven't seen some of them play so that will be a surprise for the other teams, if Kade Butters stays on could see him kicking around 50/60gls for the season if they leave him up forward[top bloke].Now if they can get Nelso an K.Hunt to play and play Hunt at CHB if fit anything is possible if you want it hard enough. Injuries an depht will play a big part. 4/5 wins 6th.

Fedrals are an unknow quantity ,having lost S.Brunnenmeyer as coach due to injury M.Jones has now taken on the roll, don't know if he is playing or not but if used properly would make a good inter-change player.If clubs take them lightly that will be your down fall. They still have Smeds,Williams,the Tyrell boys,Sinclair and by the looks of it most of their recruits from last season. They need to find someone to milk Leigh Patons cows so he can play at FF. I can remember my first year in the upper murray at Cudgewa i rated him the hardest player to match-up.Depht will be there biggest problem 5th.
Well guys that two out of the way will be back with 3rd an 4th spot soon. max
C'mon Maxy don't hold us in suspense, prefer your season preview than that rubbish that's put in the Border Mail. P.S. Any chance you can get Wayne Piltz to pull the boots back on? Was a tough bastard at Brock and Tumba when you were coaching.

Last edited:
Yeah agree toecutter, come on chopper.
Old runabout I reckon your close with that ladder predication but I would probably swap bullioh and cudgewa.
Bullioh well be similar strength to last year where I think cudgewa well be a lot stonger going by there recruits.
But it's going to be a close year.

Yeah agree toecutter, come on chopper.
Old runabout I reckon your close with that ladder predication but I would probably swap bullioh and cudgewa.
Bullioh well be similar strength to last year where I think cudgewa well be a lot stonger going by there recruits.
But it's going to be a close year.
Bullioh played off in the granny last yr so if they're at a similar strength I'm surprised u tip them to slip to fourth, I don't think tumba or bullioh will slip far I just think Corryong will improve greatly.

Rite guys here we go with 4th an 3rd spot.
Cudgewa have regained the services of Bill Deery, just looking who have returned to the club with him at least 4 are injury prone but maybe with last season off for some mite make a difference but not likely but are all good footballers on their day.Recruiting McEvoy will give them something to kick to[thought he gave good service to Feds in 2012]could kick maybe 50/60gls if cudgie can get the ball in quick but the top 3 clubs have strong backlines so he needs to take advantage of the clubs below them.Dane Arthurs retuning if played in the rite position which i believe is in the centre because your centreman is your 7th backman an what i mean by that is he does 50% of his work load helping out down back 40% mid-field an 10% up forward.When you have a player that is 6ft1 and mobile you have a marking target which is hard to match-up on[good to see him back playing so don't hit anyone Dane suck it up because opposition players will target you]A strong mind is better than a strong body[bodies fall a strong mind will always get you up again].Voight an Ward will strengthen there backline but whether they can keep up with quick forwards remains to be seen.Loosing Keesmat won't hurt them never keeps his eye's on the ball when in marking contest in packs.They need to get Sam Mulligan back play him on a B/F or HF/F [HE PLAYED FOR ME AT CHF WHEN HE WAS 16 AND COULD PLAY].Now Bill out of all the coaches he would have the most pressure on him this season brides maid twice last season off should play off the bench that way i think cudgie will get more games out of him and he won't have rely on others making the changes.I see Greg Wheeler is back this guy i have alot of repect for could be their Xfactor if he does play[Greg don't break your leg lol] Back to do third spot shortly have to go feed the birds cheers .max

Back again for 3rd spot
Bullioh with new coach Peter Dean was a great player at Carton playing off HBF so i expect that will be one of their areas he will put some work into so expect a different style of play when there coming out of defence won't change much but will catch oppositions off guard [i found the best way to play Bullioh was man on man make them always kick to a contest]. With J.Curran returning will boost their mid-field, Haddrick and Allan will add more depth down back with Allan capable of playing in the ruck and down forward. Regaining the services of Tom Hickey will cause problems for some backman specially if it is one on one.Tayor Fenton rarely plays a bad game did notice he played a few last season injured B/F would be the place to play him plenty of run off there and also capable of kicking gls[maybe rotate him through the mid-field with Mark Nichols the other 5 leave together backlines you don't change unless you have to]I think there most versatile player is Scott Gillotti will cause players problems so must be man-up always.I don't know if Clint Ried is playing but if he does only my opinion play him out of the goal square.Now if i was the coach of Bullioh i would do everything in my power to get Billy Nichols back playing this guy can change a game around off his own boot and has one of the best kicks in the comp. cheers max
2nd an 1st to come

C'mon Maxy don't hold us in suspense, prefer your season preview than that rubbish that's put in the Border Mail. P.S. Any chance you can get Wayne Piltz to pull the boots back on? Was a tough bastard at Brock and Tumba when you were coaching.
Sorry toecutter there is know coach up there who would know how to handle him and he was a very good player and i still have alot of time for him regardless what people think of him. max

Remove this Banner Ad

Upper Murray 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back