Ups and Downs of loving the Wonderful Magpies...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorelei

Senior List
Nov 9, 2002
Ryder Stand
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox/Boston Celtics
The uppers-

1990 GF - even tho I was a young lass ....!
Round 8 vs Brissy
Anzac Day
The Qual and Prelim finals
Thrashing the hapless Bluebag spooners
Our recent off field successes

The downers -

Ned's last match @ Vic Park *sobs*
GF day 2002 from about 4.45pm onwards
Darren Millane :(
The Shaw-era
Last game at Vic Park (even though I wasn't there) :( :(

Strangest feeling -

The draw against WCE in 1990 @ Waverley
Lining up for GF tix this year

Any others...?

Jen

Up
Just about everything involved with being a Collingwood supporter . Even the bad times bring strength, pride and loyalty.

Down
Darren Millane. The only genuine low I have ever faced at this great club.

Good topic Jen,
UP
The current Collingwood list, it is the best it has been since 1993.
Collingwood Supporters, thick or thin we are always there.
Nathan Buckley, one of the best things ever to happen to The Club.
DOWN.
Tony Shaw as coach, what an embarrassment.
I was at the last game at Vic Park - very emotional.
Carlton looks like surviving its current troubles

Ups- supporting a gutsy, always competitive superclub with heaps of supporters

Downs - tony shaw era,

SENZA CALCIO NON C'E VITA

how can people say that the T. Shaw ere was a downer? Losing is the 1st step to winning.

He also drafted some of the senior players that are now running around. I thought Shaw was a good coach but a bad Chess player, right ideas, wrong moves.

Hi CAAS,
I don't think drafting/recruiting was a part of the Shaw portfolio, I think you will find that was Noel Judkins job.
So if we remove that from the pluses from the Shaw era, it leaves us with absolutely nothing from that time.
He was the worst coach I have ever had the misfortune to see. It gets worse he still has not learnt a thing, listen to him on 3AW on Saturdays, he is embarrassing just as he was as a coach.Think about kicking for goal, and the raise the foot in the air signal, every one knew what that meant - even the opposition supporters. Taking a rolled up plan of the ground out to quarter time addresses and having grown men stand on it to show them where they would be lining up, what stupidity. Having a fixed play book - it goes on and on. Sorry CAAS he was a disgrace.

Hi Murray

Point taken. He started good but when that book got out he was too easy to read. He did however have some poor players of AFL standard that was recruited by the previous coach. Unfortunatley, and I'm not making an excuse for him, we had some injurie's too our better players when he was coach thus making him play 2nd string players more on the ground than he would have liked.
I still think that if it werent for him we wouldnt be on our way to a flag (hopefully). He opened a lot of peoples eyes to the behind the scenes shenanigans at the club. For an AFL coach I'd rate his performance 4/10.

Thanks mate,
You are a good scorer, I wish I would have had you for a teacher at school.
Although I do agree with you that during Shaw's time we had some terrible injuries and he did turn over a lot of kids, I like to give him a little credit for that.
My score 2/10

Wrong. 96-97 was a legacy of the coach who was supposed to be a coach forever - Matthews. 98 was his own, and in '99 he fell on his sword the whole year by leaving more experienced, but no future, players in the seconds, and trying young players all year. If he was greedy enough, he could have mustered enough wins to finish 12-14.....nobody would have won with this finish. Shaw's support network was so bad that even MM admitted so by ONLY joining if Ed was in charge and some changes were made. Shaw had faults, and wasn't the coach you would hope for, but calling those years the Shaw years is too simplistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Murray

DOWN.

Carlton looks like surviving its current troubles

Don't you thrive on the Carlton/Collingwood rivalry? If we died, I'm sure you'll miss us. Miss giving us crap, miss beating us... our rivalry puts others to shame. Don't you agree? Collingwood wouldn't be complete with Carlton, and vise versa.

The worst game I have seen Collingwood play was the 1983 preliminary final against the Bummers we got flogged by 133 points.

So there Thawn, and yes without the filth the season would not be the same, I guess the point I was making was that I wish the $hit storm going on at Princes park could have gone on for a few years. I say bring back Big Jack.
Yeah, I know you really secretly wish you had Eddy don't ya. Go on you can admit it.

The Ups are seeing us go from the easy beats to the grand final. Its like a journey and its great to be a part of. Most of the Collingwood supporters i have met are great people. Obviously 1990 was fantastic but those people who had been supporting us since 1958 would have appreciated it more as they had been supporting Collingwood for every one of those 32 long years.

The only down side is when we used to lose week after week and it feels like Collingwood were never going to become a power in the AFL :(

jlc

Sorry Murray!!! GET IT RIGHT.

Check your records - 1984 Preliminary Final.
Essendon 8.1 17.6 21.6 28.6 (174)
defeated
Collingwood 2.4 3.6 4.9 5.11 (41)

Originally posted by Thrawn
I'd prefer him over Elliot any day. Eddie would do well for our club, pity he's at Collingwood. Oh well, Collo will do. He done well at the moment, and when the troubles die down, Fitzpatrick will take over the helm (a few years time).

Don't hold your breath on Fitzy. Beating off disgruntled Colonial investors ATM.

The downer is our membership dept. Got my Social Club membership. "pick up your cap at the souvenir stall".....too hard to pop into an envelope? Flying down from Asia to pick up a cap wasn't my plan.
Get stuffed.:mad:

Originally posted by knuckles
The downer is our membership dept. Got my Social Club membership. "pick up your cap at the souvenir stall".....too hard to pop into an envelope? Flying down from Asia to pick up a cap wasn't my plan.
Get stuffed.:mad:

Send them a letter and tell them that you cant pick your hat up but you want it. Surely they would post it.

Apologies for my lax moderation that has allowed people like 'hamish' to troll in perfectly good threads like this one. I've removed the garbage, please carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back