US Holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I spent 9 days in DC. There's so much to see. Smithsonian, FBI, Arlington, Pentagon, White House, Holocaust Museum, all the monuments etc.

I used Amtrak a lot, all the way from Orlando to DC and from Chicago to New Orleans. Flew DC - NY - Maine - Chicago. When I went to the US a couple years ago I wanted to do a big train trip, but didn't, just did Seattle to Vancouver. Next time I want a sleeper and go to a couple places I haven't been before.

Yes, there is a lot to see.. However, if you time manage the right way you can do two or three of them in a day. It'd be go go go on those three (or four) days but its doable. I did it in four and felt like my fourth was a waste.

I'm not surprised that Qantas ditched San Francisco in favor of DFW. Beautiful airport, great city that is becoming even more and more popular. I lived there in 2005. I loved Dallas more than most cities in the United States to be honest.

The one thing I would advise is unless you're used to (or enjoy) raging hot dry heat avoid it like the plague from July to August. Still, I loved it!

I think in future I'll do MEL-SYD-HNL-LAS with Hawaiian Airlines and bypass CA.

Much easier to manage that relying on connecting flights (got me into trouble last time when Air NZ was 2 hrs late out of MEL then flew into LAX instead of SFO).

If Vegas is my first real stop, I want to minimise the hassles in getting there.

Heading over in 3 weeks and was wondering which of their major sports are on in March. I'm guessing NBA, but when are the NFL and Major League Baseball seasons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heading over in 3 weeks and was wondering which of their major sports are on in March. I'm guessing NBA, but when are the NFL and Major League Baseball seasons?

The NFL season is August to January.

IF its at all possible for you to go to a spring training match AND you want to meet an MLB player or two I very strongly recommend going to spring training. Do a little research beforehand on where/how to meet them and you'll have the time of your life.

Cool thanks guys. Did some research and will be seeing Anaheim vs Calgary on the 20/3 (NHL) and prob Lakers vs Clippers on the 25/3!!

Can't wait, 3 1/2 weeks till I go!

I like the idea of another "Deep South" city whilst we are in the area visiting NO - in fact we had previously discussed visiting Atlanta. Is this a good place to visit?

I live in Atlanta. PM if you have a lot of questions, be happy to help. Frankly, I don't really consider the city to be much of a tourist destination, but maybe I've just been here too long.

If you want a Deep South experience then I would recommend Savannah. It's Geelong-sized so not too huge, and you can walk around the waterfront with a drink no questions asked. Plenty of old houses too if you're into a bit of history. It's bloody hot and humid in summer though - and this will include September.

Trip is booked and paid for!

Melb>Christchurch 24/2
Christchurch>Melb 28/2 (going for Grandmothers 80th)
Melb>LA 1/3
LA>SF 2/3
SF>Seattle 5/3
Seattle>LV 10/3
LV>LA 14/3
LA>Melb 30/3

Wanted to see the Lakers with the family but impossible to get 4 tickets together (unless I pay $160 a ticket!). Clippers matches are so much cheaper and easier to get a ticket to! Thinking Clippers vs Pheonix.

Bought the SoCal city pass and also visiting Legoland.

That's an awfully long time in LA Freakie. Do you know people there?

If I was on the West Coast for that long, I would be spending longer in Vegas, head down to San Diego, visit Yosemite if you are in to it.

I reckon you will run out of quality things to do in LA in 2 weeks and not have enough time in the other places.

Where are you staying in LA?

That's an awfully long time in LA Freakie. Do you know people there?

If I was on the West Coast for that long, I would be spending longer in Vegas, head down to San Diego, visit Yosemite if you are in to it.

I reckon you will run out of quality things to do in LA in 2 weeks and not have enough time in the other places.

Where are you staying in LA?

Actually staying in anaheim. Got it all planned, kids are 3 and 5:

15th - Shop/Relax
16th - Disney
17th - Shop/Relax
18th - Disney
19th - Shop/Relax
20th - NBA Game Clippers vs Suns, visit LA area (Santa Monica etc)
21st - Shop/Relax
22nd - Disney
23rd - Shop/Relax
24th - Universal Studios
25th - Shop/Relax (or day trip to somewhere)
26th - Seaworld
27th - Legoland
28th - San Diego Zoo
29th and 30th day trips somewhere.

A lot of shopping. Make sure you pack lightly. So cheap over there, although Vegas is far cheaper.

If you get told to go to Santee Alley in Downtown LA, it's not all it is cracked up to be, and can get a little daunting.

A lot of shopping. Make sure you pack lightly. So cheap over there, although Vegas is far cheaper.

If you get told to go to Santee Alley in Downtown LA, it's not all it is cracked up to be, and can get a little daunting.

More just relaxing, kids will be stuffed from the days at the theme parks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back