US Holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been typing up my travel diary, bit of a freak like that but its good for this very reason - while in NYC I really wanted to go to Coney Island, even though it was winter and almost everything down there was shut. Partner was a bit intimidated by catching the subway for whatever reason but I dragged here down there anyway and it was the most beautiful, sunny day you could imagine where the temperature was still only 2 degrees.

Anyway, we had chilli dogs at Nathan's Famous Hotdogs, walked down the boardwalk, looked out over the Atlantic ocean and took in an eerie quiet which was refreshing after the hustle bustle of a week in and around Manhattan. NY Aquarium was pretty cool, got in for free with a New York Pass we picked up online, prepaid, fast-tracked entry to all the zoos, museums, attractions etc. Just an awesome day where really we did nothing other than take the train to the beach!

Has anybody been on or heard any reports about the 26 day 'Grand Southern' Tour run by Contiki? Starting in LA and finishing in NY. Just looking at all options...

We got the subway in Manhattan and it was fine. Was it any seedier heading out to other boroughs?

Thought it was fine, although there were a few parts of the Bronx where the immediate surrounds after getting off were a bit daunting. Mostly just because there was noone around other than some bums drinking whiskey from a paper bag and all the shops had boarded up windows etc. Just a bit eerie after getting on the subway at Times Square for instance...

I'd say go as far as you want. Would have liked to check out Pelham Bay Park area for instance, just for something a bit different. I really wanted to head out to the Nassau Coliseum to see the Islanders play as well which would have been an hour trip on the Long island Rail Road and a 20 min taxi ride from the closest station but we decided to goto a show instead. It was more a time issue than a safety, or nerves issue really.

Has anybody been on or heard any reports about the 26 day 'Grand Southern' Tour run by Contiki? Starting in LA and finishing in NY. Just looking at all options...

Went on it 15 years ago - good experience from what I remember (lost a few brain cells). Very moving to go to Arlington Cemetery and Iwo Jima memorial in Washington.

We caught the subway up to the Bronx Zoo. It was fine. Though the barbed wire everywhere in the Bronx is quite disconcerting. We also caught the subway to the aquarium in Brooklyn.

My advice would be to not do a Contiki in the US. Europe I can understand but not the USA. You could do what you wanted pretty easy without the shit that goes along with Contiki.

My advice would be to not do a Contiki in the US. Europe I can understand but not the USA. You could do what you wanted pretty easy without the shit that goes along with Contiki.

Cheers HBG, any reason Contiki in the USA isn't advisable?

Cheers HBG, any reason Contiki in the USA isn't advisable?

I guess it comes down to opinion, but those tours are very rushed which is fine if you are in Europe and getting as many countries in as you can but in the States you can travel nice and easily and see a whole lot at your own pace and have a more enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Also for the price a Contiki wouldn't get you anything that you wouldn't be able to get yourself. The picking up factor is also not as great as when you are in the States the Aussie accent works wonders anyway.

I guess it comes down to opinion, but those tours are very rushed which is fine if you are in Europe and getting as many countries in as you can but in the States you can travel nice and easily and see a whole lot at your own pace and have a more enjoyable and rewarding experience.

Also for the price a Contiki wouldn't get you anything that you wouldn't be able to get yourself. The picking up factor is also not as great as when you are in the States the Aussie accent works wonders anyway.

Wouldn't disagree - did it as an experience at the time but USA is so easy to get around as he says and they love the accent.

Would say that HBG is on the money from my experience, we planned everything ourselves and booked it all online. Planes, buses, trains took us all over the shop fairly cheap. I suppose if you are prepared to do your research, really nail where and what you want to be doing then you can't go wrong over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are going to go over to the states in January 2012 for 2 weeks.

Out itinerary will look something like this (for now) – we will start out with 3 or 4 days in Las Vegas to see the strip, hoover dam, and grand canyon before moving on to Anaheim for 5 or 6 days to do the theme parks (Disneyland, Universal Studios, Sea World, California world et el) and different stuff like that before ending it with a few days in either San Francisco or Hollywood before flying home.

Saying that, my partner was set on New Zealand and I finally convinced her that American would be better. So she has set me a few tasks that I need to complete before we can book. I must find a way of getting tickets for the Ellen show (I have to compromise and this is a non-negotiable for her), the Big Band theory or Two and a Half men. The last two won’t be too bad as seeing a TV show will be different and maybe enjoyable but she has insisted that we go to Ellen.

To quote her “if we are going all the ****ing way, I want to go to the Ellen show and I don’t care if you hate that” As a result, does anyone know a way international guest audience members can gain access to tickets?

I’m hoping the NBA doesn’t go on strike with the CBA (Collective bargaining agreement) ending this June and missing out on a game. I want to go to a Lakers game again and I’ve already booked in a drive down to San Diego to see an NFL game, hopefully that is the week they play at home. Why doesn't LA have an NFL team again, the biggest city in the world without a team.....:eek:

Therefore, does anyone know of any website that international guess can gain access to tickets like Ellen? I’ve tried using http://www.tvtickets.com/ and using http://ellen.warnerbros.com/ says that audience members need an American phone number. Any advice would be helpful, expect the general GD advice of having a spoonful of cement and hardening up or putting her in her place.

Sis wants to get married in Las Vegas so I have to save now lol.

Played over in New York City in a small club now more than 5 years ago in a band and loved it.

Snuck into Yankee Stadium too.

Next time I want to go to Harlem and see some real jazz.

Love NYC so much.

moving on to Anaheim for 5 or 6 days to do the theme parks (Disneyland, Universal Studios, Sea World, California world et el) and different stuff like that before ending it with a few days in either San Francisco or Hollywood before flying home.

Do Universal while in Hollywood. Better off breaking up your Anaheim stay, and splitting your time equally between Anaheim and Hollywood/LA. If you are going to Sea World in San Diego, probably should take the extra day, stay in San Diego and go to the zoo. One of the best in the world (I didn't make it there myself though).

I don't know the best way to get tickets, I tried the same route as you, but there must be a better way.

Such a shame you aren't there a little longer and can't go to the East Coast. Seems a shame to go over to the US and not see New York. Letterman tickets are the ones to go after over there obviously.

If in Hollywood, you might want to get Jimmy Kimmel tickets. Not as hard to get I believe.

Do Universal while in Hollywood. Better off breaking up your Anaheim stay, and splitting your time equally between Anaheim and Hollywood/LA. If you are going to Sea World in San Diego, probably should take the extra day, stay in San Diego and go to the zoo. One of the best in the world (I didn't make it there myself though).

I don't know the best way to get tickets, I tried the same route as you, but there must be a better way.

Such a shame you aren't there a little longer and can't go to the East Coast. Seems a shame to go over to the US and not see New York. Letterman tickets are the ones to go after over there obviously.If in Hollywood, you might want to get Jimmy Kimmel tickets. Not as hard to get I believe.

Saw a Letterman show in September 2004. We were walking thru Times Square the day before and one of the people associated with the show just walked up to us and said did we want to go - jumped at it.

I know that at Mann's Chinese Theatre they do the same sort of thing but I'm guessing that ain't really a satisfactory way of doing it. Would suggest that an email or similar be written.

San Diego zoo is a great experience and certainly worth it. The panda exhibition has had some work done on it - saw it in 2001 and 2008. Would stay to see both the Zoo and Seaworld. The drive from San Diego to Anahiem is probably 3 hours (relatively easy) so I would recommend one night in San Diego and see both (just means get up early one morning and arriving back late one night).

No matter what recommend a GPS (either borrow one before departing or get one in the car) - will make it all so simple (as it is the sign posting on their freeways shame us - they give you the next 4 exits in LA)

Yeah good call, all very valid points you make. In fact I was all for planning our trip ourselves but the missus thought that looking into one of the Contiki US tours may be worth looking into... we haven't committed either way but I think I would prefer to plan and organise our own trip.

Note - The accent won't be doing me any favours in the US with the wife in tow! :p

Note - The accent won't be doing me any favours in the US with the wifre in tow! :p

It will as far as friendliness goes. It is a conversation starter with a lot of Americans.

As we are going in January 2012, the itinerary isn't set in stone so we have a bit of flexibility with where and when and for how long, so that suggest will come in handy.

I sent them an E-Mail and will wait. we've got a little over 11 months to plan and look for alternative ways, hopefully something pops up. Last time I was in the states, we were just walking around Universal Studios and someone offered us tickets to a TV show (two guys a girl and a pizza place) but I will continue to send them E-Mails and ask or beg or I maybe begging for a few things.

Such a shame you aren't there a little longer and can't go to the East Coast. Seems a shame to go over to the US and not see New York. Letterman tickets are the ones to go after over there obviously.

I know right, this trip was (in my mind) always planed for the East Coast but my partner has never been to the USA and it was hard enough getting her to change her mind over New Zealand. I'm not pushing my luck. Hopefully East coast next time

If in Hollywood, you might want to get Jimmy Kimmel tickets. Not as hard to get I believe.

I know its not the norm, but i'm a Leno fan. Kimmel would be awesome as he's quite funny but my first stop would be Leno as I enjoy him.

Saw a Letterman show in September 2004. We were walking thru Times Square the day before and one of the people associated with the show just walked up to us and said did we want to go - jumped at it.

I know that at Mann's Chinese Theatre they do the same sort of thing but I'm guessing that ain't really a satisfactory way of doing it. Would suggest that an email or similar be written.

They do the same thing at Universal Studios as well.

I know right, this trip was (in my mind) always planed for the East Coast but my partner has never been to the USA and it was hard enough getting her to change her mind over New Zealand. I'm not pushing my luck. Hopefully East coast next time

Most people enjoy the East Coast more and some are put off by LA as it is overly hyped so expectations are not fulfilled. If you are ever going to get her to want to return to the US one day, you should be working on some subtle strategies geared towards NYC, Washington and Boston. A great sell would be Niagara Falls as it is close to NYC and beautiful.

I would forego LA every time to go to the East Coast, where it not for my promise to myself that I will visit Vegas every time I go there from now on.

There should still be ice and snow on the ground in Central Park if you went to NYC in January. Maybe try to bump it up a fraction and get there for NYE in Times Square.

Most people enjoy the East Coast more and some are put off by LA as it is overly hyped so expectations are not fulfilled. If you are ever going to get her to want to return to the US one day, you should be working on some subtle strategies geared towards NYC, Washington and Boston. A great sell would be Niagara Falls as it is close to NYC and beautiful.

We will get across to the USA again as she works in a museum and loves that historical stuff – so selling her on Boston, Washington, Philadelphia and New York won’t be that hard. It’s just convincing her to fly for another 5 or 6 hours. she’s not a great flyer and adding another 5 or 6 hours onto the flight for her first time on such a long trip, I doubt I would have won that battle. And she has dreamt of going to Disneyland since she was a kid and I love it doing those things as well, so it was a relatively easy decision to make as soon as she said yes.

I would forego LA every time to go to the East Coast, where it not for my promise to myself that I will visit Vegas every time I go there from now on.

Yep, Vagas is on the trip. That was a must for me and she didn't flight to hard.

There should still be ice and snow on the ground in Central Park if you went to NYC in January. Maybe try to bump it up a fraction and get there for NYE in Times Square.

I'm still trying to bring it forward a week so we can spend New Years in Vagas. New Years in Time Square would be amazing but not this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back