Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that.

I will need to look at things further to see where the train station is at Anaheim. Might be a hassle getting a taxi to and from the hotel near Disneyland to the train station at Anaheim.

Look, I don't know your finances so take this as you please but I would seriously consider grabbing a limo or town car from Anaheim. We hired a limo and got the driver to take us and pick us up last year and it only cost $150-160. Knowing you are going to a very premier event, this would remove a lot of the hassle of driving, give you daughter a very memorable experience and like most service industries in the USA, they will be looking for good deals.

Also, considering we stayed at the Marriott in Anaheim (less then 1 Km) and the Taxi fare to Disneyland was $10.40, driving to the Staple Centre would be massive.

Last time I was there in 06 they were improving the public transport system, e.g there were metropolitan trains running in the middle of some of the highways but I don't think it has reached Anaheim. This is why I was looking into the Amtrak from San Diego.

Well AFAIK, it still hasn't reached Anaheim. It may have but I didn't use the train.

I guess you could take it from SD but how long would that take you?

On another note, what seats would you recommend getting at Staples Centre? Is it worth paying the extra coin and getting tickets closer to the court?

For a Lakers game, I imagine you would be looking at $200 to $500 5 to 10 rows from the front. Front row will be $1200-$1400 if not more.

Nose bleeds would be about $30 to $100.

My recommendations would be and take into consideration how often you do this trip, I would spend a few extra dollars and get as good as seats as you can afford. You won't regret it.

Saying that, if you are not 100% sold on the Lakers and just wish to see an NBA game and sold on the idea of getting the train from San Diego. You might want to check out going from San Diego to Sacramento and going to a Kings game. The cost will be considerably less but it's not the Lakers. You can also get Clippers tickets but they are pricey as well. $100 for mid lower section tickets.

Or seeing as you're a Golden State fan, grab some GSW tickets whist your in the Bay area and bypass the Lakers all together.

Look, I don't know your finances so take this as you please but I would seriously consider grabbing a limo or town car from Anaheim. We hired a limo and got the driver to take us and pick us up last year and it only cost $150-160. Knowing you are going to a very premier event, this would remove a lot of the hassle of driving, give you daughter a very memorable experience and like most service industries in the USA, they will be looking for good deals.

Also, considering we stayed at the Marriott in Anaheim (less then 1 Km) and the Taxi fare to Disneyland was $10.40, driving to the Staple Centre would be massive.

Well AFAIK, it still hasn't reached Anaheim. It may have but I didn't use the train.

I guess you could take it from SD but how long would that take you?

For a Lakers game, I imagine you would be looking at $200 to $500 5 to 10 rows from the front. Front row will be $1200-$1400 if not more.

Nose bleeds would be about $30 to $100.

My recommendations would be and take into consideration how often you do this trip, I would spend a few extra dollars and get as good as seats as you can afford. You won't regret it.

Saying that, if you are not 100% sold on the Lakers and just wish to see an NBA game and sold on the idea of getting the train from San Diego. You might want to check out going from San Diego to Sacramento and going to a Kings game. The cost will be considerably less but it's not the Lakers. You can also get Clippers tickets but they are pricey as well. $100 for mid lower section tickets.

Or seeing as you're a Golden State fan, grab some GSW tickets whist your in the Bay area and bypass the Lakers all together.
Unfortunately not going to San Fran on this trip. I will go back there in a few years time when the new 49Ă©rs stadium is open at Santa Clara.

We have 6 nights in Anaheim. Going to spend most of our time at Disneyland and California Adventure Park because it will be the first time we take our daughter with us there.

Although I have been told about this Indiana Jones exhibit which looks pretty cool which is only a few blocks from the Hyatt at Orange County where we are staying.

http://www.discoverycube.org/indianajones/

I only just remembered this. One of my wife's friends is living in Pasadena now. I might have to see what she is doing on the night of the Lakers game and hopefully all of my transport issues are solved!

Then we have 6 nights in Honolulu on the way back. We went to Hawaii some 18 months ago. It was fantastic, shopping is incredible and spent most of the days at the beach or by the pool.

+1 to the limo advice. I did the reverse trip years ago (staying in Hollywood, a day at Disneyland) with a group of friends in a limo and it was by far the easiest and cheapest option. Obv may depend on how many people you've got.

i caught the amtrack sunliner train from union station to anaheim (station next to the baseball stadium) and back. its about the safest public transport youre going to find. i once walked from said stadium back up to the disneyland area, although i imagine that isnt ideal for most. i know there are buses that run straight up ketella ave to the intersection of ketalla and s harbor (the reason i walked is because i missed the last bus of the night after going to buy a hamburger:oops:).* which is a very short walk to disneyland. i imagine it wouldnt be difficult to get a cab either.

ive seen 3 games at the staples center, including one sitting courtside (clippers). sitting courtside was a great experience but as far actually watching the game goes i was just as happy with my seats that were in the back row.

and try to go to knotts berry farm during your stay at anaheim.

*not as bad as the time i missed the last bus back to la from magic mountain and was stuck in some small suburb/town at a station that was across the road from what seemed like a latino biker bar. luckily there were some security guards at the station that gave me the number for a cab. fairly hefty fare back to north hollywood station.

I found getting around New York very simple and never too time consuming. The Island of Manhattan is very simple, with the numbered streets running Horizontally (west/east) you know how far North/South you are, the trains are all either downtown (going south) or uptown, making it quite clear. Get a small pocket map from your hotel and then get a week long pass (was roughly 25 dollars or something, saves you getting a ticket every time) and you're on your way. If you're going a fair distance, like we did to a baseball game in Queens, then find the express trains, it saves a lot of time and is quicker than a taxi. In saying that the taxi's weren't too bad, late at night if you didn't want to be on the subway. Relatively cheap.

i caught the amtrack sunliner train from union station to anaheim (station next to the baseball stadium) and back. its about the safest public transport youre going to find. i once walked from said stadium back up to the disneyland area, although i imagine that isnt ideal for most. i know there are buses that run straight up ketella ave to the intersection of ketalla and s harbor (the reason i walked is because i missed the last bus of the night after going to buy a hamburger:oops:).* which is a very short walk to disneyland. i imagine it wouldnt be difficult to get a cab either.

That is what I was originally thinking of doing. Do you have to catch another train from Union station to get to Staples Centre or can you walk and if so, how long would the walk be?

I also wanted to go to a Ducks game but I can kiss that idea goodbye as the season is going to be cancelled unless something happens very soon with the NHL lockout.

probably too much of a walk, especially if its at night. i would suggest catching a train to the 7th street/metro center station which is then a ~10 minute walk to staples. my hotel was just near there and thats how i got to/from union station.

probably too much of a walk, especially if its at night. i would suggest catching a train to the 7th street/metro center station which is then a ~10 minute walk to staples. my hotel was just near there and thats how i got to/from union station.

Walking through that area at night is not something I would do. I was at Santee Alley at 5pm and had been warned to leave before dark. It was intimidating getting to Pershing Square. Could only imagine going from Union Station to Staples Center at night time.

Walking through that area at night is not something I would do. I was at Santee Alley at 5pm and had been warned to leave before dark. It was intimidating getting to Pershing Square. Could only imagine going from Union Station to Staples Center at night time.

Yep, agree.

Driving around downtown LA and around the Staple center felt dodgy during the day time, I couldn't imagine what it would be like at night.

Also, be aware that on Lakers/Clippers game, they block streets off, so it become harder to get around in a car.

Yep, agree.

Driving around downtown LA and around the Staple center felt dodgy during the day time, I couldn't imagine what it would be like at night.

Also, be aware that on Lakers/Clippers game, they block streets off, so it become harder to get around in a car.

From my experience theres not much to imagine. maybe when theres nothing on itd be different but ive been to 3 bball games there at night (walking from my hotel) and never felt at all unsafe or uneasy.

From my experience theres not much to imagine. ive been to 3 bball games there at night (walking from my hotel) and never felt at all unsafe or uneasy.

You know, deep down you're probably right.

But the movie's tell us, some parts of NYC and LA are very dangerous and our mind plays tricks on us. Driving around that part of LA, we for some reason just didn't feel safe but that was possibly our own wild imagination running wild.

From my experience theres not much to imagine. maybe when theres nothing on itd be different but ive been to 3 bball games there at night (walking from my hotel) and never felt at all unsafe or uneasy.
All I know is that we had been on a private tour all day and asked our guide to drop us at Santee Alley. He suggested we would be okay for a while but to get out of the area and to the train station before it got too late. Santee Alley is almost all Hispanic stalls. We left when we noticed we were the only caucasians in the area and nobody else was speaking English. We walked a few blocks and went to a McDonald's unlike any Maccas I have ever encountered. Was basically just the golden arches with one staff member who was not interested in serving, and really dirty. When we went in, this guy held the door open, and then followed me inside the door, demanding to be paid for holding the door open. I tipped him.

We had been told by the guide about rival gangs in the area, and as we walked and it became dusk, there were guys just popping out of alleys in front of us and congregating. Nobody threatened us but we stuck out like sore thumbs and my wife was scared beyond belief. I had to tell her to act like she was supposed to be there because she was drawing attention to herself.

This was our first full day in the US as we flew in 2pm the day before. I felt like I was watching a movie so a little disconnected and excited by it all. My wife was having none of that though.:)

Just for random Convo.
Can someone explain to me the public transport in NYC.
If I wanted to get anywhere. How easy would it be.

For the moment. All this travel is daunting truth be told. And don't want to be ending up travelling to fa away from where I want to be.

Subway is really easy way to travel. Just get a pass for about $25. It costs $2.50 for each time you travel so you get 10 trips from that. While there are a heap of different train rides there are a couple that take you to and from either end. Luckily when i was there my hotel was on the 6 train so i mainly just used that.

I also got the red bus tour and that is helpful in taking you to the sights. Gets you a 2 day pass and saves on walking.

You will need a map to work out where you want to go, from there its pretty easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, deep down you're probably right.

But the movie's tell us, some parts of NYC and LA are very dangerous and our mind plays tricks on us. Driving around that part of LA, we for some reason just didn't feel safe but that was possibly our own wild imagination running wild.
I have been to LA 4 times before and I have never had any trouble. I have always been careful to make sure that I don't go into any of the bad areas, e.g East LA. Mind you, I don't think I have ever walked the streets at night time and never by myself. I think I was more scared walking around some parts of Chicago when I was there in the mid 90's.

Alex, I wonder how Jenny from the Adelaide Board is going at Disneyland? She would fit right in at Fantasyland judging by some of her comments on the Tippett thread ;)

How far is the trip from Beverilly Hills to the Staples Centre?

Whats the best way to get there and is it hard getting a cab after the game i am going to see the Clippers not the Lakers if that helps

I have been to LA 4 times before and I have never had any trouble. I have always been careful to make sure that I don't go into any of the bad areas, e.g East LA. Mind you, I don't think I have ever walked the streets at night time and never by myself. I think I was more scared walking around some parts of Chicago when I was there in the mid 90's.

Yep. We ended up in some their "projects" after a baseball game at Comiskey Park (now US Cellular) after taking a wrong turn. This was only a few blocks from the stadium and is probably as scared as I've ever been on any overseas trip.

EDIT: These were called the Robert Taylor Homes/Projects that has since been destroyed so Google tells me.

About 20 kms and driving time about 25 to 35 minutes. In heavy LA traffic, 45 minutes to an hour

Whats the best way to get there and is it hard getting a cab after the game i am going to see the Clippers not the Lakers if that helps

The easy answer is, and sorry as I don't mean to be or sound rude but grab a GPS as it will be your best friend if your driving and trying to get around LA, it's not easy.

I would imagine it would be very similar to trying to catch a cab after a game at the Dome or the MCG. They have taxi ranks, you just have to line up and wait. How long is the line or the wait, I don't know as I didn't grab a cab after the game.

We stayed in West Hollywood last week and got the train from Hollywood/Highland (tour ended there in the afternoon) to 7th Street/Metro Center then walked down the street with the other bball fans to the stadium.

After the game we got a public bus back to our hotel. Was quite scary since the bus cleared out along the way leaving me, my girlfriend and 2 homeys on the bus who we were convinced were going to mug us as soon as we got off the bus. Luckily I think the bus driver had the same feeling and asked them where they were getting off (a few stops after us) so we got off at our stop and quickly walked round the corner to the hotel. Next time I would definitely get a taxi!

Has anyone been to Legoland at Carlsbad in California?

I am thinking of taking my 5 yr old daughter there in March. It is worth the drive from Anaheim? I would have to rent a car to get there. I don't want to do one of the tours from Anaheim as it would be too long a day for my daughter having to wait for the bus to pick everyone up from the different hotels.

Is it essential to book accomodation prior to arriving or is it possible to find something reasonably priced on arrival?
Depends on time of year. In most places you can find last minute deals cheap. If you are going with family though, you would want more certainty.

Loving the U.S - Been to San Fran, LA, Anaheim, Vegas, Miami, Orlando, Boston and now currently in New York; re subway system - very easy to navigate with a city map.

I've done quite a bit and will be very happy to answer questions after having so many help me along the way! Happy New Year back home!

...driving to the Staple Centre would be massive.

On one of the road trips around the US we drove to the Staples Centre to see a Lakers game. There's a small car park outside the (main) front gate/doors to the stadium where parking was $20 (very limited we got to the stadium quite early). So essentially we parked 50/100m from the main doors :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back