Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea but I would like to know. It ranged from cool to rainy to mild in the 5 days I was there but that was October. Next time, we definitely want to be going there at xmas time so would like to know what to wear.

As far as I can tell, it is all about layers. Undergarments, normal shirt/jeans combo, a light jacket/jumper and a heavy coat, scarf, hat and gloves. That way you just peel off layers easily as you enter heated premises.

Hi guys,

I'm going to New York City next week, would anyone whose been before recommend I wear some thermal underwear to stay warm?

Also going to London and Paris next Christmas, would the same apply.

Any feedback would be appreciated, other than me being soft.

Cheers

Mick.

I was wearing thermals over there a couple weeks ago. My average day would be thermal, t shirt, fleece jumper then a big thick jacket over the top. Sometimes I wouldn't have the fleece, but it was very handy. Also a good beanie helps

I was wearing thermals over there a couple weeks ago. My average day would be thermal, t shirt, fleece jumper then a big thick jacket over the top. Sometimes I wouldn't have the fleece, but it was very handy. Also a good beanie helps
How are the thermals if you enter a heated bar or house? Too hot even with just a t-shirt on?

Really not necessary.

For everyday trackies/jeans with tee, hoodie and jacket.

When going out a shirt, sweater and jacket over jeans/slacks.

Beanie def comes in handy, so too two pairs of socks. Gloves not necessary they just become very annoying, your jacket pockets will do the job.

Be prepared to sweat it out when entering shops with only a jumper or shirt on.

How are the thermals if you enter a heated bar or house? Too hot even with just a t-shirt on?

My thermals weren't too thick or anything, I found them similar to an undershirt. A lot of days I went wwithout the thermals, they're just nice to have when you're doing alot of walking. I never got too uncomfortable inside with them.

I'd always take off my jacket and beanie though, resulting in 2 lost beanie s

Yeah, you'll find you're in and out of places all the time in New York - the whole taking off and putting on clothes becomes tiresome. You're almost always on foot also or jumping on a train which gets warm.

The only time I really felt the cold was at Metlife stadium - it was -2 degrees Celsius with a windchill of -10 degrees Celsius and even then it was really only our feet that cold with the layers doing a great job.

Everyone has different barriers too i suppose.

Heading over to New York in August or October. A few questions for those who have been over to the USA (i have never been, apart from Hawaii.

How long do you need to be in New York for? (no more than 2 weeks though)

We are looking at having 3 days somewhere on the way home from NY and are really open to suggestions?

Any other bits of advice would be appreciated.

Heading over to New York in August or October. A few questions for those who have been over to the USA (i have never been, apart from Hawaii.

We are looking at having 3 days somewhere on the way home from NY and are really open to suggestions?

I would say you need at least 4-5 days in NYC to do it justice. It really depends on what you want to do there? e.g sporting events and so on. I definitely would recommend the behind the scenes tour at Madision Square Garden.

I would recommend San Fran on the way back home. My favourite city in the US. Lots of character and plenty of things to do. If you do go there, make sure you book Alcatraz before you leave Australia. It is very popular and can be booked out on certain days.

Have you been to Vegas? If not, you have to go there while you are in the States. There is no place like it and you would need another 4-5 days there to do everything, e.g go out to the Grand Canyon one day.

I am going back to the States at the beginning of March. Taking our daughter to Disneyland for the first time. We have a week and bit in Anaheim and then a week in Hawaii on the way back. Can't wait for it!!

I was in NYC for 5 nights, 4 days. We spent a day doing a cruise around Manhattan, and Ground Zero, a day doing an uptown and city lights tour, and a day doing downtown. That is just exploring the city on a bus with a tour guide. You want to actually soak it up and see New York, I'd be taking the full two weeks. You will be in awe of the place and will not get bored I promise.

I was in NYC for 5 nights, 4 days. We spent a day doing a cruise around Manhattan, and Ground Zero, a day doing an uptown and city lights tour, and a day doing downtown. That is just exploring the city on a bus with a tour guide. You want to actually soak it up and see New York, I'd be taking the full two weeks. You will be in awe of the place and will not get bored I promise.

Agreed. I spent 11 nights there and loved it. Could've spent longer. I strongly recommend using airbnb for New York

Agreed. I spent 11 nights there abduction loved it. Could've spent longer. I strongly recommend airbnb for New York
Well, there are holiday experiences to cater for all tastes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had 5 nights and it wasn't enough. Great place, I'd recommend a week, lots of money, immerse yourself in it.
I think it would take a good week to see the main tourist sites and at least a week of just walking the streets and soaking it up. I reckon I'd be staying a month and exploring the boroughs.

You have to be open minded and try everything, have heard of people who avoided the whole broadway scene because of the 'gay' stigma. Pathetic, was one of the best things there. Wish I saw more! Could easily stay a month, if not 6.

Thanks for that. We are thinking of staying midtown i think its called. Is that a good spot to stay?

I was there for 7 nights and didn't see everything but NY shut down for 3 days because of Hurricane Sandy. When I think of the things I didn't get to do, there was no way I was going to get it done in time. Just a magnificent city.

Midtown is a pretty good place to stay. Cheaper than Times Square/Broadway but not to far away.

I would have the 3 nights in Vegas.

Thanks for that. We are thinking of staying midtown i think its called. Is that a good spot to stay?
Midtown is probably the main tourist area. I stayed on West 32nd St and the 10 block walk to Times Square was easy. Blocks going North/South are small, blocks going East/West are huge. Always someone around when you stay midtown, so chances of getting mugged walking back to your hotel are minimal IMO.

One thing I hope for next time though is to get away from midtown more often as I would rather encounter more locals. Fine to stay there as a base, but get yourself to other areas even to grab lunch or take a walk. You can't get lost in Manhattan as long as you remember where you are staying.

Check out a New York Pass as it costs to get into everything in NYC. Value wise, you will not regret it. Just plan your trips out to take in as much as possible.

I stayed in Hells kitchen, best place for food and small bars.

I used airbnb and got a pretty sweet apartment with 2 bedrooms, cable and was a 5 minute walk to times square, i think we paid around $35-40 a night for the place. Also used to airbnb when staying in LA and highly recommend using it as you can find some pretty nice places in the areas you want to stay and is a lot cheaper than a hotel and also better than a hostel.

Agreed. I spent 11 nights there and loved it. Could've spent longer. I strongly recommend using airbnb for New York

Second this.

Airbnb great for NYC, we managed to find some pretty reasonable accommodation even over NYE. Also adds to the experience staying in a NYC apartment.

Also try priceline around the US for some cheap hotels.

What websites did you guys use for booking flights within the US?
cheapflights.com, expedia, webjet and I found that sometimes directly through the airline was just as cheap. My flights were all over the place, booked one by one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back