Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll probably blow out his achilles again and all of those people will be out of pocket.

Nelso - what sort of review could you give for Lake Buena Vista?

Positive or negative?

How far from the theme parks was it?
We stayed at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek which was fantastic. Huge swimming pool area with a lazy river. Plus the golf course at the Waldorf Astoria next door was amazing. Water on every hole. At last count I lost 8 balls in the water :(

We did not have a car so we relied upon getting shuttles to Seaworld and Universal Studios which was $20 per person. The hotel provided a free shuttle to all the Disney Parks and Disney Springs. We booked a tour to Kennedy Space Centre where the bus picked us up directly from the hotel.

Seaworld and Universal were about 20-25 minutes from our hotel. All the Disney Parks were 10 minutes away.

The only downfall in not having a car is that that we could not leave the property at any time to go any of the department stores on our own accord. This did not upset us as we had done most of our shopping at other places on our trip.

Cost me $60 each way to get a taxi from Lake Buena Vista to the Amway Centre but it was worth it to see Durant and Westbrook play for the Thunder against the Magic and the game went to double OT :). The ticket cost me $50 US. The Amway Centre shits on the Staples Centre. Much better atmosphere at the Magic games where they get the crowd heavily involved.

Orlando was fantastic, would love to go back. The only negative was the humidity which was brutal. When we were at Epcot, it rained for an hour in the morning and by mid afternoon it was sunny but the humidity was through the roof. We only lasted for 30 minutes walking around the lake before we called it quits and headed back to the pool at the hotel.

We stayed at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek which was fantastic. Huge swimming pool area with a lazy river. Plus the golf course at the Waldorf Astoria next door was amazing. Water on every hole. At last count I lost 8 balls in the water :(

We did not have a car so we relied upon getting shuttles to Seaworld and Universal Studios which was $20 per person. The hotel provided a free shuttle to all the Disney Parks and Disney Springs. We booked a tour to Kennedy Space Centre where the bus picked us up directly from the hotel.

Seaworld and Universal were about 20-25 minutes from our hotel. All the Disney Parks were 10 minutes away.

The only downfall in not having a car is that that we could not leave the property at any time to go any of the department stores on our own accord. This did not upset us as we had done most of our shopping at other places on our trip.

Cost me $60 each way to get a taxi from Lake Buena Vista to the Amway Centre but it was worth it to see Durant and Westbrook play for the Thunder against the Magic and the game went to double OT :). The ticket cost me $50 US. The Amway Centre shits on the Staples Centre. Much better atmosphere at the Magic games where they get the crowd heavily involved.

Orlando was fantastic, would love to go back. The only negative was the humidity which was brutal. When we were at Epcot, it rained for an hour in the morning and by mid afternoon it was sunny but the humidity was through the roof. We only lasted for 30 minutes walking around the lake before we called it quits and headed back to the pool at the hotel.

You barstard!!!!! :D

I remember that game. Like 3 clutch buzzer beaters. That would have been awesome. Every NBA I've been to have been blow outs be 3 quarters time.

We have done Orlando before, did Kennedy, did Miami (when LBJ was still a heat) vs Orlando.

We are going to do a week in Orlando in the middle of April and staying at Lake Buena Vista. Sounds good and a really good place to stay.

Laker prices for Koby Bryants last game against the Utah Jazz

100's seats (lower section) are going for close to $9000. Floor seats are more expensive.
200's (mid section seats 0 behind the basket). - $3000 to $5000
300's (nose bleeds upper deck) $1000

Where did you get those prices from? I've had a look on Ticketstub, and the most expensive seats there are $850 for the lower tiers.

Should use Uber when you can over there, costs half as much as a taxi.

Was it just as easy as booking a taxi?
We downloaded the Uber app.

You can get quotes for fares using the app.

When you request a ride, they will text you once the the car arrives at your location.

You enter you credit card details when you sign up with Uber. Therefore you don't need to pay the fare when your ride is finished. They will charge the fare to your account and you don't need to tip the driver.

When you request a ride, they will text you once the the car arrives at your location.

You enter you credit card details when you sign up with Uber. Therefore you don't need to pay the fare when your ride is finished. They will charge the fare to your account and you don't need to tip the driver.

Sweet.

Nelso - what sort of review could you give for Lake Buena Vista?

Positive or negative?

How far from the theme parks was it?

Sorry to jump in, just thought i could share a couple more thoughts on Lake Buena Vista!

We stayed at the B Resort and Spa, pretty nice hotel, great BBQ Resturant.

As Nelso said, free Buses arrived every 15-20 minutes to take you to the various Disney Parks. Last Bus from the Disney Parks is around 10:00pm off memory, they obviously wait till after fireworks etc.

You can walk to downtown Disney which is a massive strip of shops and entertainment, about a 15-20 min walk depending on what hotel you are at and how fast you walk.

It also worth while grabbing a taxi / Uber to the Orlando Shopping Outlet, I can't remember exactly how far away it was. Some great discounts there.

If you go to Seaworld you can also catch the 'normal' bus back down to near the Buena Vista entrance, i think it cost maybe $2 per person for the normal bus. plenty of stops along the way you can get off at to have lunch or do some shopping. think we stopped off near a Dennys for Lunch.

Sorry to jump in, just thought i could share a couple more thoughts on Lake Buena Vista!

As Nelso said, free Buses arrived every 15-20 minutes to take you to the various Disney Parks. Last Bus from the Disney Parks is around 10:00pm off memory, they obviously wait till after fireworks etc.

You can walk to downtown Disney which is a massive strip of shops and entertainment, about a 15-20 min walk depending on what hotel you are at and how fast you walk.

It also worth while grabbing a taxi / Uber to the Orlando Shopping Outlet, I can't remember exactly how far away it was. Some great discounts there.

If you go to Seaworld you can also catch the 'normal' bus back down to near the Buena Vista entrance, i think it cost maybe $2 per person for the normal bus. plenty of stops along the way you can get off at to have lunch or do some shopping. think we stopped off near a Dennys for Lunch.

Thanks for this.

We will have a car to use and been to Orlando before. Stayed at the Westgate Palace. Decided to stay somewhere different this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stayed at the Holiday Inn next to B resort a few months ago, checked out the flatbed buffet & non-stop meat carvings at the table. It was amazing, but that 100m or so walk back to the hotel was way too long :p

I have Uber at the moment, if I use it overseas do I need to use a travel card or can I still use my existing card details?

I have Uber at the moment, if I use it overseas do I need to use a travel card or can I still use my existing card details?
I am not sure. We have only used it overseas.

I have an iphone 6s - do I have to unlock the phone to use a USA sim card?

You do. Call your phone company and if your phone isn't unlocked already it shouldnt take more than 48 hours for it to be done.

Looks like I've got a 3 week leave pass. First time to the U.S. After some planning help.
Four things I want/need to do: DC (friend and political sites - 3 nights maybe), NYC (friend - 5/6 nights), get a feel for the South, and see some big landscapes.

Toying with driving Washington to Austin (would like to visit Austin) but it's a hell of a long way and not sure if feasible or scenic. Perhaps Nashville is far enough. Definitely want to see small town America. Any tips?

Looks like I've got a 3 week leave pass. First time to the U.S. After some planning help.
Four things I want/need to do: DC (friend and political sites - 3 nights maybe), NYC (friend - 5/6 nights), get a feel for the South, and see some big landscapes.

Toying with driving Washington to Austin (would like to visit Austin) but it's a hell of a long way and not sure if feasible or scenic. Perhaps Nashville is far enough. Definitely want to see small town America. Any tips?
Hope this helps

Stay off the highways as much as possible if driving anywhere in the states
I believe the best parts of the states are found in the small towns in between

I spend a lot of my time on road trips thru small-town USA. A number of my postings on this site give some details of this. Feel free to message me.

PS I would def not drive DC to Austin TX. But I would and have from DC to Nashville.

So, Im done with Europe, now i need a list of the biggest and baddest roller coasters in the US. Not really after the best theme park, I'm happy to go to a theme park just for one ride. I don't want cool or quirky, I want white knuckle. Thanks.
X2 at six flags is insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back