Vale Bob Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

I got in the car at about 11.30 this morning only to hear John Newman talking about Bobby and sadly i suddenly knew why. :(

When people pass, praise is glowing but rarely is all genuinely justified but in Bob's case, it all is, and then some.

Bobby was a true, fiercely loyal Geelong man who wore his heart on his sleeve and whilst he was never afraid to voice his opinion, he always supported our great club unconditionally and for that we all owe him much gratitude.

Not only a legend of our club, but also a true gentleman who always had time for everyone, regardless of your station in life.

R.I.P Bob Davis.

Rest in Peace Bobby. Even though you played before my time, I still know how much you meant to the club. Your efforts have had an impact that will be remembered for generations to come.

R.I.P. Bob Davis, a true servant of the club. Few were as loyal as him. He was fair dinkum unbelievable.

Bobby, I salute you.:thumbsu:

P.S. Hope this inspires the Cats to win the flag for Bobby!

To Bobs family and all of the Geelong faithfull sry to hear the sad news, he was a true gentleman from what i have seen and a true Legend. He really come across as an honest and true shooter so without going on too long my condolences to all'

Kind Regards Charlie

Bobby was a rare breed - he was blessed with an outstanding talent, but played and lived with a modesty, compassion and sincerity that stamped him as a true gentleman.

The Geelong Football Club has been incredibly fortunate to have had its culture influenced by an individual with such qualities and class, and I hope the club honours Bobby's memory by adopting his ideals as it's creed for many years to come.

We have lost a true legend, in every sense of the word.

Rest in Peace Bobby.

Re: RIP Bobby Davis

Shit I only just heard.

RIP Woofa. Its sad I never got to see you play but I know you meant so much to the city of Geelong and the AFL world. Handing over the cup in 09 will be a moment I wont forget.

Thoughts with the family and RIP Bobby

Condolences to everybody connected with Geelong....Bobby will be missed by so many in the whole football community..

He was that sort of man, endeared himself to everyone..

My family are all Cats, and I was brought up as one, and was at the '63, '89 GFs...

This is a very sad day..

Long will you be remembered Bobby:heart:...R.I.P

Thanks Bobby for helping to make the club what it is today - something we can be proud to say we support.

I reckon Andrew Mackie will have an absolute blinder Friday night. For him to stay on after the events of late last year showed a lot of character, and I think we'll see that come through when he pulls the No.4 on against Carlton.

RIP Bob - the League Teams show in heaven keeps getting better with guys like you, Jack and EJ on the panel, and all anchored by Clinton Grybas, a man taken well before his time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fantastic footballer.

A visionary coach.

An even better human being.

We all owe it to the memory of Bob Davis to forever etch his vision into the very heart, soul and fabric of our club - his club - and ensure that Geelong forever "Play the game, as it should be played". Including that greater game of life.

Thanks, Woofa.

:(:(:(

I'm so glad that we got to give him success in his final years, I hope he got to see us one last time on Friday night.

His love for not just the club, but footy in general, was absolutely infectious and he had such an impact on so many. One of footy's nicest men, and a true absolute legend.

Can't really do him justice in words, but congratulations on a life well lived Bobby, and my condolences to his family.

I hope he gets a send off befitting of how much he meant to everyone.

I think you did a pretty good job. :thumbsu: Second everything you said.

I always remember seeing him at a family day at KP in the mid 80s when I was a little kid. He was so nice and accommodating to everyone. He seemed to enjoy it as much as everyone else.

It's truly sad that he is gone, but it's also a time to celebrate his character and beautiful nature. We could all learn a lot from him.

RIP Bobby.

RIP:(

When his funeral does come in the next few days - Geelong will stop, as it rightly should.

I feel his funeral should be held at Kadinia Park, and leave from there for the burial..with the players giving him a guard of honour and then the whole town following along behind..

Its what Bobby deserves.. nothing less

What a legend. Heard about this on the ABC PM radio show on the way home. They must have given at least two minutes to the story which is huge for PM - would have to be an ex-PM to get more air time than that.

davis-banner246a.jpg

Nice touch by the afl site.

Thanks for that link. That piece made me cry. I was gutted when I heard the news - I never had the privilege of meeting him, but like (I imagine) many lifelong Cats fans, felt that I knew him in a way.

Vale Bobby, an unforgettable legend of the game, consummate gentleman and absolute class act. A well-deserved rest after a full life. I'll never forget that image of him celebrating with the boys during the 2009 premiership presentation - magnificent stuff. Loved the genuine emotion and regard they had for him, the way they helped him up onto the dais; it's hard to articulate it adequately, but there was something so special about the spontaneity of a club legend celebrating with the new(er) club greats - symbolic of the unity of our past and present, and in fact the unifying power of Geelong (hope that makes sense!). It seemed so much nicer than the normal choreographed "hand it to captain and coach who hold it aloft before the rest of the team joins them".

My thoughts are with his family, friends and those at the club who were close to him. RIP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Bob Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back