Vale Bob Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason the man is so respected is simple, he put into football and his community more than most and you could see he got equal measure. There is no doubt he died a happy man.

A life worth celebrating.

never knew the man nor saw him play but every single Geelong supporter feels as though we knew him as a friend and I guess that's probably his greatest asset in life:thumbsu:

Geelong will always be thankful for his influence and paved the way for future success and eventual flag wins after that famous '63 premiership. Sad that life is pretty short in the grand scheme of things :( but also very thankful that his legacy and spirit will now be even greater.
R.I.P Bobby!

(I'm hopeful the boys will bring back your 2011 premiership cup where it belongs)

Somehow, my father indirectly got to know Bobby, and through that connection, we got to meet Polly and Billy Goggin in the rooms. That was a huge deal for a 7yo kid. To make things better, he arranged for us to have tickets for a Sunday avo World Of Sports programme, which was live. He could have ignored us once we got there, but instead, made sure we got pies and drinks for lunch, and I'll never forget it.

I loved him on the Thursday night Teams show, and on WOS. Those 3 guys used to hang it on each other , but if anyone else muttered the slightest offending comment about any member of that trio, it was fantastic to see how swiftly the other 2 would stick up for the offended one. They were truly great mates.

Bobby is sadly missed already, and I think we can all recall how frail he looked at the 09 GF. Yet he was so happy for the Geelong FC to have success. Never took himself too seriously, never to be forgotten. Talented yet modest and humble, entertaining yet never derogatory, he really was and is a role model for Geelong FC and for the AFL. Guys like him are once in a lifetime, but we are so privileged he was GEELONG.

I'd just like to say that I personally appreciate the Essendon and Richmond Football Clubs for putting up tributes to Woofa on their respective websites today, and to Mark Thompson and Gary Ablett Jnr for also paying prompt public respects to the memory of the great man.

He sounds like a fine man, who lived a long and succesfull life, touching many thousands of people.

His family should be very proud today.

Gee he loved the Cats didn't he?

What a bittersweet pleasure it has been sifting through the papers this morning and reading about his amazing life.

Of all the stories, the one that made me smile the most was the story on the GFC website of how he tried to get drafted by Sth Melb and, what happened when, in turn, they finally tried to draft him. Priceless.

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/114113/default.aspx

Geelong have been truly blessed to have such a champion, such a character, and such a loyal bloke as part of our family.

Vale The Geelong Flier.

Condolences from me to the Davis Family and friends, the Geelong Football Club and colleagues/former colleagues of Bob Davis.

I remember him from way back on League Teams, a must on Thursday nights, and the Ch 7 WOS when the late Ron Casey was the man at the helm. It was all sport, especially footy and just plain old fun to brighten up a usually cold, wet and miserable Sunday morning, even if your team won the day before. You could always rely on something witty coming out of Bobby's mouth and his knowledge of football was one of the best.

I hope his funeral will be a true meaning of the Celebration Of Bobby's life as he achieved so much on and off the field. I think he'd be quite chuffed.

We may have lost one of life's gentleman but we should be comforted in the knowledge that we knew him, either personally or through the media.

Farewell Bobby and have a shebert with my mum who went before you last month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonderful man , marvellous life.
Seeing his unbridled joy with the Cup in 09 made it so much more special for our family.
RIP Bobby , you made us so proud to be Geelong supporters.

Somehow, my father indirectly got to know Bobby, and through that connection, we got to meet Polly and Billy Goggin in the rooms. That was a huge deal for a 7yo kid. To make things better, he arranged for us to have tickets for a Sunday avo World Of Sports programme, which was live. He could have ignored us once we got there, but instead, made sure we got pies and drinks for lunch, and I'll never forget it.

I loved him on the Thursday night Teams show, and on WOS. Those 3 guys used to hang it on each other , but if anyone else muttered the slightest offending comment about any member of that trio, it was fantastic to see how swiftly the other 2 would stick up for the offended one. They were truly great mates.

Bobby is sadly missed already, and I think we can all recall how frail he looked at the 09 GF. Yet he was so happy for the Geelong FC to have success. Never took himself too seriously, never to be forgotten. Talented yet modest and humble, entertaining yet never derogatory, he really was and is a role model for Geelong FC and for the AFL. Guys like him are once in a lifetime, but we are so privileged he was GEELONG.

Your father didn't like a punt on the dish licker's by any chance VEEDUBS.

Really nice last paragraph I share your sentiments.

Could hardly have been a person more admired for everything he did and represented than Bob Davis, a genuine football icon. Touched fans of all clubs for over 60 years through his playing, coaching and most enduringly his persona in the media for many years, and his genuine warmth in everything he did.

Everyone has said everything that could be said, a man who has crammed so much infectious joy into his long life so it would be spread far and wide.

And the enduring memory of him on the dais with the Geelong players after the 2009 Grand Final, it will be immortalised much like the Ted Whitten lap around the MCG.

Few people touch the world like he did and leave universal admiration for their actions over a lifetime, Bob Davis is one special man. RIP.

The tag 'legend' gets thrown around all too often these days.

Bob Davis is a gold plated legend.

He gave much much more to the game and the community than he ever took - R I P.

condolences to to all Geelong supporters.

Condolences to family and friends, a huge loss to Cats supporters, the AFL and footy in general.

A champion on the field and off, one of the games true gentleman.

Keep flying Bobby!

If anyone hears of the funeral details, please post them here.

I'm in Geelong until saturday and would love to pay my respect to the great man.

The funeral is at 1pm on Tuesday at St.Mary's in Geelong. Apparently the premier offered to give Bobby a state funeral, but his family said they'd prefer it if the funeral was held in Geelong.

Just watched the tribute to Bobby on the Footy Show. Beautifully done. Had tears in my eyes by the end of it.

The funeral is at 1pm on Tuesday at St.Mary's in Geelong. Apparently the premier offered to give Bobby a state funeral, but his family said they'd prefer it if the funeral was held in Geelong.

Just watched the tribute to Bobby on the Footy Show. Beautifully done. Had tears in my eyes by the end of it.

No Footy Show in Switzerland :(

Come to think of it...maybe thats a good thing :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Bob Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back