Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

A legend of the game and a legend of life if that makes sense. R.I.P Jimmy, there is no more pain where you are now.

I'll be heavily backing Melbourne in their round 1 clash agienst Brisbane. Do it for Jimmy boys. :thumbsu:

R.I.P Jim.

You were wonderful to society, the football club, everything. Huge respect for coming up as an 18 year old to try your luck... look how much you have succeeded.

The saddest thing is he'll never live to see a flag :(

Hopefully we can use this to make 2012 our year... I doubt it but we'll give it our very best shot.

23/4/1966 - 20/3/2012

My deepest sympathy to all involved...

Days like today transcend football. I have struggled not to cry every time I heard a news update today... In fact I am choking up just typing this...

Vale, Jim Stynes, Gone, but never forgotten.

Re: Jim Stynes Passes Away - Vale a champion/hero - Pay your respects here.

Shattering news.

Whilst footy has lost a champ, society has lost a hero. His work through Reach will never be forgotten. One of the most inspirational and unselfish people in Australian/Irish society. Vale big fella. Your legacy will live on.

Condolences to his family, friends and the Melbourne FC community.

Some people achieve a level of greatness that defies the mortal parameters of mere words. Some songs can only be sung in hearts. The greatness of Jim Stynes transcends club, code & country, and his shining light is an eternal example for us all of what humanity can achieve if it has such tremendous purity of heart, generosity of vision, & such undying, almighty courage.

Although I write with tears in my eyes, life for so many would have been infinitely worse had he not been a part of it.

Condolences to his family, & to the Melbourne Football Club. We shall never forget him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me who can't believe that, when I tune into the Derby, there will be a minute's silence for Jim.

He's been gone physically from the public for so long, but not actually gone

From Demonland:

Grand New Flag - I last saw Jim in September, he recognised my face but not my name (spoken to him about a dozen times over the years). We spoke for a while, for the first time ever I saw him angry. He was disgusted with the dishonesty of Tom Scully. Tom had indicated to him he was staying and Jim took him on his word. I got the impression Jim was not someone who was lied to his face very often. Simply he demanded honesty.

I almost empathise with Scully today, must be feeling shocking. As long as he doesn't do an interview with the Herald Sun.

Posted this on the Main Board but wanted to post my respects in here for the Melbourne supporters as well.

Truly sad day and it is devastating watching the news right now.

Watching him with his young kids and family really hits home when you have a family of your own and it is always the best that get taken way to early. How do you tell your kids that Daddy is not waking up. :(

State funeral is a massive achievement and full credit to him. The man was a fighter and a Melbourne Football Club stallwart that took the club from the brink to viable with many bright years ahead of them.

Words cannot put into the context what his family may be feeling and it is great that they were by his side every step of the way in his fight with this terrible disease. He will be missed by many and was a much loved player and advocate of our game.

R.I.P Jim and sincere condolences to his family and all who knew him as he touched many along the way to his path of greatness and will never be forgotten.

Very Sad day.

devastating news,RIP gentlmen jim stynes,such a star from when i was young in the 80's,you will be massively missed,condolences to mfc and family

Excuse the interruption guys, just had to pay my respects to the greatest gentleman ever to play the game. His courage, commitment and demeanour are a shining light for others to follow.

Sincerest regrets at his passing.

Some voids simply can't be filled.

Its really wierd i was driving along the nepean highway today thinking about Jim Stynes and what i could remember of him from the 80's when my mind wanderered and i thought about Gary Lyon.I like Gary but have never met the guy but i started to think about my mates my kids and the people around me.I pulled up at the lights and i was crying

RIP Jim. You have been an inspiration to me on and off the the footy field with the way you went about your life with honesty, passion, courage, and integrity. You are a true hero and will me missed.

My condolences go out to Sam and the kids and may your legacy live on through them.

df7zns.jpg

Re: Jim Stynes Passes Away - Vale a champion/hero - Pay your respects here.

every club would love a passionate man, who has the inspiration as Jim Stynes. my condolences with his family and friends and the Melbourne Football Club. a true legend both on and off the field, i dont think there is a bad thing to be said about the man, he had a smile that warmed everybody's heart. I feel for his wife and Kids. He was more than just an international player and Brownlow Medalist, but a true hero and icon of the game.

He will be missed.

Rip Jim Stynes

My condolences to Jim's family. He will always be remembered as a truly decent man and a legend of the AFL and the Melbourne FC. I'll certaily be flying down from Queensland to attend the round 4 tribute match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Back