VAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That doesn't sound very practical. 5 people wanting different replays then a vote. I think it still needs to be the onfield ref's call for the subjective decisions after he has reviewed the video. Maybe an ex-pro should be in each VAR room to give a player's perspective. If so, I think both the Onana non-penalty and the Mac Allister red card would have been quickly reversed.
Can't see how it won't work with something like this
Chuck Norris Ok GIF

Maybe we should accept that like the players, Refs/VAR officials are human too and are allowed to make mistakes.

Why are they allowed to make mistakes when they get the benefit of slow mo/replays? And the main cause for mistakes seems to be covering for a mate?

That doesn't sound very practical. 5 people wanting different replays then a vote. I think it still needs to be the onfield ref's call for the subjective decisions after he has reviewed the video. Maybe an ex-pro should be in each VAR room to give a player's perspective. If so, I think both the Onana non-penalty and the Mac Allister red card would have been quickly reversed.
Problem with an ex pro I'd finding one that would look at things in an unbiased manner.

You see it with comms, a lot just aren't capable.

Imagine Jamie Carragher on VAR in a game involving one of their rivals. May as well get Jodly in the booth.

Maybe we should accept that like the players, Refs/VAR officials are human too and are allowed to make mistakes.
Refs can make mistakes (although most make too many) but correcting those mistakes is supposed to be what VAR is all about.

Problem with an ex pro I'd finding one that would look at things in an unbiased manner.

You see it with comms, a lot just aren't capable.

Imagine Jamie Carragher on VAR in a game involving one of their rivals. May as well get Jodly in the booth.

Clearly you wouldn't have players with affiliations involved in those games. But it doesn't mean the idea couldn't work. There's probably over a hundred players with PL experience who retire each year. They don't all go on to coaching or media jobs.

Clearly you wouldn't have players with affiliations involved in those games. But it doesn't mean the idea couldn't work. There's probably over a hundred players with PL experience who retire each year. They don't all go on to coaching or media jobs.
Say Carragher.

You wouldn't want him making decisions on United, City, Everton, Chelsea, probably Arsenal, maybe Spurs.

How about ruling on a red card when that player might be playing Liverpool in the next three matches.

Say Carragher.

You wouldn't want him making decisions on United, City, Everton, Chelsea, probably Arsenal, maybe Spurs.

How about ruling on a red card when that player might be playing Liverpool in the next three matches.

I think some people can actually be professional.

Even randoms from the crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say Carragher.

I wouldn't want Carragher anywhere near it. I'm thinking of former players like Wes Morgan, Leighton Baines, Mark Schwarzer, Glenn Murray, Steve Sidwell. It would always be the ref's call but they might be able to give some insight from a player's POV for things like natural position of the arm or follow through in a tackle.

That statement is appalling. You can't refute the suggestion, one of your referees admitted it!

This is the issue at its very heart. The first instinct is to deflect and defend. Even in the face of overwhelming evidence. How can anyone have faith in their efforts to improve things when they are so desperate to present a facade that nothing is wrong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back